Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Many tire/wheel questions re: staggered vs. square setup on 335xi

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
eddesq
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3MC Black Sapphire

Many tire/wheel questions re: staggered vs. square setup on 335xi

Hi all,

I have a Space Grey '08 335xi 6MT with the sport package and its 18x8 and 18x8.5 style 189 wheels with OEM Bridgestone RFTs. I bought it 10-12 weeks ago as a CPO with just over 31K miles. At the time all the tires were in fine shape. Now, after 6K miles of moderately spirited highway/city driving (no street racing, no track time) the inside treads of both front tires are down to the wear bars. The rest of the tires look fine, as do the rears.

From reading several other threads, it seems like this has happened before with 335xi owners running a staggered setup. My first question is whether there is any merit to this suggestion, or whether the uneven tire wear is more likely due to improper alignment, versus the awful reputation of the OEM Bridgestone RFTs?

If the staggered setup is truly problematic, then I will probably upgrade my wheels to uniform at all 4 corners, but stay at 18" due to the fact that I do a lot of city driving on pothole-laden roads. Should I go with 18x8, or 18x8.5?Any suggestions on wheel style and finish? I really like the look and finish of the OEM style 189s, but I think that gunmetal and black look great against Space Grey, too. I'd like to stay at under $400 per wheel if I can help it.

Additionally, do I need to get anything different (e.g., spacers) in order to make the switch from staggered to a square setup?

Regardless of whether or not I upgrade my wheels, I am going to go with Michelin Pilot Super Sports as my summer tires. However, if I stick with the stock wheels and staggered setup, I'm curious if I can get away with replacing the worn-down front tires first, and replace the rears once the OEM Bridgestones are more worn. I'd hate to discard 2 tires in good shape, but I don't want to compromise my safety or the integrity of the AWD system by running a different brand, tread pattern, and non-RFT up front with the RFTs in the rear. I'm pretty sure the answer is "replace all 4 and invest in a spare," but just want to be absolutely certain.

Finally, if I do upgrade my summer wheels to square at 4 corners, can I use the style 189s as my winter wheels, or is it contraindicated to do so once one has gone to a square setup? I really like the look of the 189s and don't really want them just sitting around if I can make good use of them.

All of your advice and comments will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance for taking the time to read this lengthy post.

-Evan
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
Patrick303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC

Garage List
Staggered wheels shouldn't be the caust of your uneven tire wear. Sounds like you need an alignment.
      05-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
Pcemkr
Pro Hater
Rep
Drives: Low and slow

The car has OEM staggered wheels/tires. Your alignment is bad. Fix it.
      05-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Sounds like you have an alignment problem. However, if you were looking to switch to a square setup with tires, PM me and I can give you different options and suggestions.
      05-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
eddesq
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3MC Black Sapphire

Thanks for the replies; my first suspicion was an alignment problem versus the staggered setup itself, but wanted to gauge some of your responses. I called the dealer today and they confirmed that the front tires were just replaced in February 2012, so the inside tread has totally worn down over just 6000 miles. I know the Bridgestones aren't the icon of durable treadwear, but that's inexcusable. I have an appointment at the dealer Thursday, and I'm hoping they not only align it but also offer me something towards replacing the tires given that I just bought the car on 2/23/12. Trouble is, I really don't want the Bridgestone RFTs again; I'd much rather go with PSSs all around. Guess I'll explain my situation and see what they're willing to do.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
jcarv20s
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

I have the same exact car as you and purchased it about the same time as you (weird) same wheels and everything and haven't had the same issue. As mentioned that's def an alignment issue.
Appreciate 0