Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Debate on getting some used winter tires locally

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-02-2011, 01:39 AM   #1
Ajs76
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 99 M3, 2008 335i

Debate on getting some used winter tires locally

Hey guys,

There is a guy locally who is selling two Hankook Icebear 255/35/18's with about 5k miles on them for 100 bucks a piece. Seems pretty reasonable considering I won't have to ship them etc.

So the question is, if I want to turn my 162's into snow wheels, should I just get those and buy some matching fronts?

I think that I'd prefer LM60's all around, but I'd like to take advantage of a decent deal.

What do you guys think?

1) Mismatch the tires and suck it up for a season or two until I can get it all matching LM60's?

2) Buy the hankook fronts and rears and deal with slightly mediocre winter tires

3) say forget it and buy all new LM60's and ignore the hassle.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 02:01 AM   #2
Ajs76
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 99 M3, 2008 335i

As a note: a key part of my question is "am I asking for trouble by mismatching tires assuming they are both snows"
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Matching all four tires is always a good idea. Just buy a new set from Tirerack complete with wheels and you'll be golden.

I'd also bet that the tires have way more than 5k miles on them.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
E30M3Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C, 97 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.00]
1989 BMW M3  [8.20]
Mismatched tires aren't the preferred option - you can get traction differences that could cause problems.

If you buy the local tires - use a tread depth gauge to measure the actual depth of the tread vs. New to determine if you are really getting your money's worth. $100 for Hankooks with 5 k miles on them doesn't seem like a hot deal to me. I've sold better snow tires with less wear for less.

Make sure you can get the hankook fronts before you buy the rears - winter tires go out of stock pretty easily and often before mid-winter.

Consider that 255s in the rear are not as effective in the snow as 225's. I drove with that size in my 330 on 162s and the 225s on my 335 are more effective.

Search here and read reviews on the hankooks - they wouldn't be my choice of tire at any price.

In a world where you have to drive your car in snow/inclement weather - IMO you should buy the best snow tires for your car that you can, so i like option 3.

Performance Center Delivery, June 21, 2013: 2013 E92 335is | Le Mans Blue | Gray Leather with Black | 6MT | 19" Style 313's | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | BMW Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler |
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #5
PCR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 335i

I respectfully disagree.

Your front tires and back tires do completely different things (drive / steer & stop). If it was that important to have the same tire front to rear, then the tires sized would be the same. As it is, these cars come with different size tires (f/r).

As long as the tires are similar in traction (i.e. all snows vs snows and all seasons), I doubt you will notice any large difference in steering, handling or traction.

About the only thing you may notice a difference on is that you may hear which ever set of tires are noisier, and that there may be a slight difference in straight line ride between the front and backs. But that's about it.

None the less, this is my humble opinion. You should do what you think is best and safe.

Last edited by PCR; 01-07-2011 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0