E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > What happens to driver with no driver's license in an accident in California?

04-02-2013, 12:07 AM   #1
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

What happens to driver with no driver's license in an accident in California?

Does anyone know what happens to a driver who rear-ends into another car, and this driver (18 years old) does not have a driver's license, but has insurance. The insurance is under his mom.

long story short:

18 yr old hits my parents on I-5 at stop n go traffic
18 yr old starts crying, begs not to call police
parents collect his insurance info, identification (looks like a driver's license), but he does not ask my parents for their info
cops were not called unfortunately. (i wished my parents called them to get a report)

if my parents called the cops, they probably would tow the the boy's car.

Now here's the kicker, we want to go through our insurance (Allstate). So once we report who the real driver is , and his info, and stuff, what is going to happen to the boy?

Will his insurance get involved or our insurance report to the police? Is insurance companies required to report unlicensed drivers to the police in any claim process? Then what happens to the boy?

Just curious.

At first my parents decided to help this boy out, since the mom said she will pay out of pocket. (perhaps to keep him out of jail).

But we now feel the damage is too extensive for them to pay out of pocket. (they don't see very wealthy). And we don't want to get screwed for lying about the story later on. So we feel like we should just be straight and true.

Thanks.

Car was some ford explorer which hit my moms Acura TSX.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 06:53 AM   #2
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

You done fucked up by giving him a walk from the jump. There is no reason you should be feeling bad for anyone in a spot like that. You will almost NEVER come out of the deal happy and the car usually wont get fixed by them. He took a huge risk in driving a car while not having a licence. There really isnt much you can do at this point as there is no police report.

ALWAYS get a police report for ANY type of accident. You never know when you will find way more damage than you thought at first.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
passing
hey
Tanzania
Rep
Drives: caprice wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
You done fucked up
Period. End of story.

The unlicensed driver, a permissive driver I would assume, is covered by the auto policy that covers the vehicle he was driving. A 6 year old could have been driving, and it would be considered a covered loss.

What happens to the driver, I don't know.. but why should you care?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
S_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Like they said, should have gotten a police report.

Why are they trying to help the kid? He could have multiple DUI's for all they know. There's a reason why he doesn't have a liscense...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Come clean with the cops now. Best thing that ever happens to that kid. Get him busted now so he knows there will be consequences for his actions in the future.
      04-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

^ as stated above, cars are insured not the specific driver of the car. Most likely your insurance company will tell you to contact driver's insurance company and work it out with them directly. If you go through your insurance they will make you pay your deductible and they will help get the car fixed, they may or may not help you recover your deductible from the other company.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #7
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

your insurance company should fix the car regardless.....because YOUR CAR has insurance.....

you just have to pay the deductable....

but whoever let that kid go without consequence is just an idiot....live and learn....
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
your insurance company should fix the car regardless.....because YOUR CAR has insurance.....

you just have to pay the deductable....

but whoever let that kid go without consequence is just an idiot....live and learn....
I think..... it depends if it's a No Fault state. If it is, your insurance will fix your car in the event that someone hits you without any insurance.

Even if you aren't in a No Fault state you likely have an option to buy uninsured motorist insurance on your policy.
      04-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
I think..... it depends if it's a No Fault state. If it is, your insurance will fix your car in the event that someone hits you without any insurance.

Even if you aren't in a No Fault state you likely have an option to buy uninsured motorist insurance on your policy.
in Texas, if the driver is not licensed, then he also does not have insurance - even if the car that he's driving has actual insurance.

back when i was a cop, i used to take illegals to jail once or twice a week for "No DL/No Insurance".

we called them "no gottis", because every time you'd ask them if they had a driver's license they'd say "no got it".

not sure how it is in CA though...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

bahahaha "no gottis"! Awesome!
      04-04-2013, 12:38 AM   #11
Orange fever
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: E36M,E46M,E90M,X5M,i3,M2,i8

he will only get a fine($) for not having driver's license. the sad part is alot of non us ppl have no license but have ins.

BMW I12 i8 Frozen Yellow- H&R springs, 22" Radenergie F10 Monoblock Forged ///
F87 M2 Aw -Vorsteiner Aero Kit, VFF-107,Macht Schnell-Springs,VF-Engineering/Hex tuning Stage Two,ER DP,Stock Exhaust,Drop-In Bmc Filter,AA Intercooler,FTP Charge pipe+boost pipe/// Wish list :Mexico delivery 2024 BMW M2 (G87)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 01:03 AM   #12
kihun
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

call the cop now..
      04-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #13
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Your parents are as dumb as the kid. 18 = legal adult. No mercy.
      04-08-2013, 02:53 AM   #14
monkeyjuice5150
Private
Rep
Drives: e46 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #15
poorlilpoop
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 135i / 05 WRX

Hopefully, this one will work out your parents.

For future reference, get a police report, as many others have suggested. If the cops say, they are busy and won't get to you for 3 hours.... you wait.

If someone begs not to call the cops, even more reason to call the cops. What are they hiding that they will beg?

Get a police report, no matter how good everything sounds, and others/you may feel.

Learn the hard way. Got a parking lot fender bender while back. Both of us were going less than 5 mph, in parking spot.

She pulled out, I back up. No real damage. My bumper pop out on its own.
We were waiting for a cop but it would take too long. She had a passenger that WALKED back to her work. I bumped her passenger side by the way.

Few months goes by, BAM. law suit. There was no legal document that said, she's ok. Even though both of us are fine. Hell, it's in the parking lot. What kind of physical damage can you get, getting bumped. I've been hit harder by kid's tonka cars.

All because we did not have legal statement, we can only go by he said/she said game.

Hell, it's been several month. I do not remember the every details. I had some cell phone pics of the damage, but that's about it. Maybe I should have recorded our conversation.

Anyway, it sounds like your parents got into complicated situation. It would have been harder in the beginning, but they wouldn't have to play guessing game, if they had called the police for report.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #16
Hybrid For Life
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: Out of Spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #17
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

You don't know until you talk to the other car insurance company, but the kid COULD be an excluded driver.
Happened to me. Got hit from behind, had to file with my insurance because driver was excluded. I carry under/uninsured, so it didn't cost me out of pocket. My insurance asked for help to track him down and get their money back.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 08:20 PM   #18
bumere90
Grozniy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Carless

I went to jail in Florida.
I was 16-17
had no permit or driver's license.