E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > Bahrain unrest - hope this doesn't mean...

02-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #23
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Bernie probably thinks they just want to sell Jenson a hat.
Then its gonna be a lot of hats..
      02-18-2011, 11:26 AM   #24
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
What an insensitive douch
      02-18-2011, 02:50 PM   #25
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

GP2 cancelled.

Barcellona offered F1 the use of it's track instead if things cant progress in Bahrain.

Here's Hoping.
      02-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #26
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
What happens to ticket holders and their airfare?

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 06:27 PM   #27
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Team are relying on FOM/FIA to decide if they will go to Bahrain...

Quote:
The Formula One teams will abide by the recommendations of Bernie Ecclestone and the FIA with regards to the Bahrain Grand Prix.

The announcement, made by Christian Horner on behalf of the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA), came after the teams held a meeting at the end of the first day's testing at Barcelona.

"It's obviously a really difficult situation in Bahrain, but we have complete trust in Bernie, FOM and the FIA to make the right decision," Horner said. "They will only send us there if it is safe.

"It would be a great shame to lose the race, but it's not the teams' decision. It's down to the promoter. Bernie and the FIA will have much more information than us and we will trust their decisions."

The teams also said they would wait for an announcement on the race before deciding on whether the final test session in Bahrain starting on March 3 will proceed.

"One is linked to the other; they are only a week apart," Horner explained. "It wouldn't make sense to go and test there if the race wasn't to happen. We will wait for feedback from FOM and the FIA and make a decision accordingly. We're looking at some alternatives because we don't know whether we can go to Bahrain."

Ecclestone earlier said he expected a decision "by the middle of next week".

Horner's comments against the backdrop of reports of an escalation in violence in Bahrain on Friday.
http://en.espnf1.com/bahrain/motorsp...ory/41251.html
      02-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #28
Mahmood07
Captain
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 + F85 X5M

guys..look what our government is doing to unarmed peaceful protesters..spraying them with live ammo from tanks and helicopters.

///M3 Mods: | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Primary Cats Delete (TTP) | ESS Tune | 19" Advan RS | Eibach Springs | MS Air Filter | BMW Perf. Spoiler | BMW Perf. Splitters | Euro LCI Tail lights | Angel iBright v.3.0 | 20% Tint | Matte black Kidney Grills | CF Side Gills | Painted Reflectors | Black M3 emblem
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 08:00 PM   #29
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Holy sh#t! Mother f%ckers. I can't believe how they just mowed them down. Wish there was a way to arm the people so they could fight back
      02-19-2011, 12:22 AM   #30
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
A serious WTF???!!! Fucking unnecessary cold blood act!!!
It looked like a peaceful protest and all innocent citizens!!!

Even during a military mission there's "rules of engagement"....that's just murders!!!
      02-19-2011, 12:29 AM   #31
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2011 Bahrain GP is not gonna happen...not because Bahrain is not safe....was because of the act of government to suppress protests with murdering them.
The country and the government does not deserve a world class sporting event with these actions.
      02-19-2011, 05:38 AM   #32
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

When this is happening, i dont think they give a fuck about Bernie or F1. Who knows? Bernie might still come out and say that "Bahrain is just as safe as London".

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 08:38 AM   #33
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

That's fucked up. Seriously, I didn't think it was that bad.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 09:00 AM   #34
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

I saw the above youtube videos and have no words... my deepest condolences goes out to the friends and families of those lost due to this abhorable act of violence... A line has been crossed and I suspect there is no turning back...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #35
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Apparently the army has pulled back and now the king is willing to have a dialogue. Might be too little too late but it's a good sign. We'll see
      02-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #36
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Many countries has issued travel advisory for citizens not to travel to Bahrain at the moment. Bernie also admitted he underestimated the scale of protest and how bad it evolved in hours...

Quote:
Bernie Ecclestone has admitted he may have misjudged the situation in Bahrain when he said "it seems as if it's quiet, no big problems".

Reporting from the ground in Bahrain has been mixed, with some areas of the island state relatively unaffected while four deaths have occurred at the heart of the protests. Ecclestone admitted he was misinformed by some FOM cameramen in a Bahrain hotel.

"It appears things are changing hourly," he clarified after widespread reports of increased violence on Friday afternoon. "When I made my earlier statement it was based on information I had at that time, as opposed to what is happening."

Asked if he now fears he will have to cancel the race, Ecclestone answered: "I don't fear anything, I just think things have changed and that we should wait and see over the weekend exactly what changes there have been. At this moment it doesn't look good."

The Formula One teams have said they are waiting on Ecclestone and the FIA to make a call on whether to go to the final race.

However, on Saturday morning, after the comments made by Ecclestone and FOTA, the British foreign office and several other governments advised against all but essential travel to Bahrain.

"In light of recent developments, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office [FCO] has changed its travel advice to advise against all but essential travel to the Kingdom of Bahrain," read a warning on the British website. "We have also advised all UK nationals currently in Bahrain to maintain a high level of security awareness particularly in public places and on major highways; and to avoid large gatherings, crowds and demonstrations."
http://en.espnf1.com/bahrain/motorsp...ory/41258.html