E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Driver's Mirror Moves by Itself on Remote Unlock

02-12-2009, 02:54 AM   #1
jeremynpross
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Driver's Mirror Moves by Itself on Remote Unlock

My '07 335i coupe Driver's Mirror moves by itself on Remote Unlock. The problem began in mid 2008. It seems to have a mind of its own, like it's possessed by demons.

My dealer says it was mentioned in a roundtable, and there's no SiB or known solution.

They have another customer with a 335i coupe with the same problem. Reprogramming was suggested after a PUMA case was opened but that did not fix his problem. Not sure if they replaced his footwell module.

BACKGROUND:

BEHAVIOR:
Most every time I press the unlock button, it aims left, up, down, to directions where I can't see anything of importance. It started out intermittent and now is repeatable 90% of the time.

Experimenting with the seat memory and the settings for returning the seat to last position on unlock or door open make no difference to the behavior.

Changing keys makes no difference.

PROGMAN HISTORY:
The car came with v. 26 progman, the seat memory module in the driver's seat and the sender were replaced in mid '07 after delivery, and a "module reprogram" was done -- partial programming is not done anymore.

In November 07, I got a full reprogram to 27.02.02 for iPod menu issues as cited here.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93497

No programming after that date. Car is stock, no other problems of note. Almost 20k miles.
Space Grey 335i, ISTA 32.2 with retrofits for lag fix and neutral idle control (Converter lockup clutch disengagement disabled). Sport, Premium, Auto, Paddles, iPod. Nav. Manufactured June 14, 2007, delivered July 21, 2007.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
jeremynpross
Private
United_States
Rep

Anyone?

For now I will just avoid slowing down since I can't see behind....
Space Grey 335i, ISTA 32.2 with retrofits for lag fix and neutral idle control (Converter lockup clutch disengagement disabled). Sport, Premium, Auto, Paddles, iPod. Nav. Manufactured June 14, 2007, delivered July 21, 2007.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

sounds like the same thing.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...98#post3267798
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 06:41 AM   #4
MrWhite1015
Major General
Rep
Drives: MINIVAN

Garage List
ive noticed this with my car as well... i figured someone took it out for a joyride.... i guess i was wrong and owe a few people an apology
      02-21-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
riceqx2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335XIC...

I recently had a similar mirror issue with the passengers side mirror; when I had the mirror selector switch (on the drivers door) in the drivers position and i shifted into reverse, the mirror would tip down further than was normal and too far down to see the curb, then when I shifted back into drive, the mirror wouldn't return to the original position- it went up too far. There were other times when the mirror would change positions as if it were haunted. I had to keep adjusting it every time I got into the car.
When I took it for service, the dealer stated that the mirror position is based on "resistance readings from the mirror motor" and they would replace it. When I picked up the car they told me that the entire assembly was replaced because of corrosion of the wires/connectors inside. When I asked if this was from washing the car so much they said that it shouldn't have happened and I could wash the car.
I would If I were you check the behavior of the tip down function. See if it tips down too far, and then fails to return to the original position.
Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
SoCalTech
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremynpross View Post
My dealer says it was mentioned in a roundtable, and there's no SiB or known solution.
Which dealer are you going to?
There was a recent roundtable in which they discuss the issue, and explained how to fix it, so there is a solution available. The problem is corrosion in the mirror wiring. The car remembers the mirror position based on resistance readings. When you get some corrosion, the readings through the wiring change, and the mirror gets moved to a different position because of it. The fix is to clean the connectors for the mirror wiring, and apply a special grease to the connectors. If it still happens, then you replace the mirror motor.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 02:18 PM   #7
335iPaul
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i SG

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTech View Post
There was a recent roundtable in which they discuss the issue, and explained how to fix it, so there is a solution available. The problem is corrosion in the mirror wiring. The car remembers the mirror position based on resistance readings. When you get some corrosion, the readings through the wiring change, and the mirror gets moved to a different position because of it. The fix is to clean the connectors for the mirror wiring, and apply a special grease to the connectors. If it still happens, then you replace the mirror motor.
Oh I may check this out. I have had this problem with mine. Very intermittent, but annoying none the less.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 05:23 AM   #8
Mahhvinn
EUROPROJEKTZ
United_States
Rep
Drives: backwards

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [7.00]
i hate it. my 08 335i has this same exact problem. i mean i'll readjust my mirror but it does get annoying..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 05:16 AM   #9
jeremynpross
Private
United_States
Rep

May have a Fix

My dealer informed me on 2/22/09 that they have a fix at last in a bulletin of some kind. It involves reprogramming and examining/replcing the mirror motor/wiring as stated above in the roundable report posted by SoCalTech.

Do any of you have an SiB or roundtable in writing? I want to show it to my dealer to make sure they have that info.

I have 27.02.02 so I was previously unwilling to let them program it post 29.2. Finally it seems safe. I'll supposedly get the new lag-fix software ista/P32.1 with "conversion wastegate" activated.

Thanks to Cobradac for his general posts on SiB's and SoCalTech's post specifically on the roundtable that discussed a fix to my mirror moving by itself.

I will report.

Last edited by jeremynpross; 02-24-2009 at 05:43 AM.. Reason: fix
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 09:12 AM   #10
sunman
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTech View Post

Awesome! The mirror moving is annoying as hell!!!
I just hope my stealership takes this advice and actually looks into it.
      04-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #11
335iPaul
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i SG

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunman View Post
Awesome! The mirror moving is annoying as hell!!!
I just hope my stealership takes this advice and actually looks into it.
Mine did. They fixed it about 3 weeks ago without asking any questions.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #12
jeremynpross
Private
United_States
Rep

My dealer, Center BMW, called me and some other customers with the mirror problem after the fix was revealed in that roundtable. They replaced the motors and everything is working as it should. No issues with getting it done.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #13
Stinger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Convertible

Garage List
2007 335i E93  [7.00]
1993 318is  [0.00]
1996 Z3 1.9  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremynpross View Post
My dealer informed me on 2/22/09 that they have a fix at last in a bulletin of some kind. It involves reprogramming and examining/replcing the mirror motor/wiring as stated above in the roundable report posted by SoCalTech.
My dealer finally fixed mine today and did exactly what you wrote. I have had a loaner car since Friday since it took a few days for a new motor part to get to my dealership here in Michigan. Good thing I have a decent loaner, a new X3 with only 16 miles...now 347.
      04-23-2009, 12:31 AM   #14
StevesBMW335i
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i TiAg

Had the same problem 8 months ago. Dealer replaced the mirror, fixed the problem. It was very annoying at the time, kinda funny now.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #15
Huncowboy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5, '19 750i

Exact same issue on our 08 335iC, and just started on the 08 650i. Initially it was only the passenger side and only intermittently, and only by a little bit. Now the passenger side does it almost all the time and the driver side once in a while. Interestingly it does not matter if I store the correct position. After it happens and I recall the stored position the mirror gets completely out of whack. Looking at the sky mostly, etc. It only happens after a lock/open cycle. Folding does not seem to influence it. We fold the mirrors all the time but I have stopped for a while to see if that had anything to do with it.

After about 4 months my 650i started doing it on the passenger side. Both cars are in the shop for other things but they have already told us they could not reproduce the problem with the 3er. This was the 3rd time they couldn't. I don't blame them though.

Anyways. All this makes me think it is the memory module or some software issue. I would guess both cars have similar electronics for the mirror. Very annoying to spend the first 5 seconds of driving adjusting the mirrors.

Is there a bulletin out there yet? I can't wait.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 02:37 PM   #16
jeremynpross
Private
United_States
Rep

There is a bulletin - Outside Mirror Moves when Unlocking the Vehicle

Yes there is a bulletin:

Outside Mirror Moves when Unlocking the Vehicle
http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/b513608g.htm

Look at cobradac's lists for all bulletins.

Here's the latest

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=34

Access any of the TSB's by simply taking the TSB numbers (#) and inserting them between the "b" and the "g" (i.e., http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletin_g...p/b######g.htm) as noted in the example link/URL below .

Next, type or copy and paste the modified link/URL into your browsers address bar:

"http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/bulletin_graphic_temp/b513608g.htm
"
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #17
jeremynpross
Private
United_States
Rep

Text of bulletin

SI B51 36 08
Body Equipment April 2009
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B51 36 08 dated February 2009.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
Outside Mirror Moves when Unlocking the Vehicle

MODEL
E90, E91 (3 Series Sedan and Sports Wagon) produced up to 9/2008 and equipped with power front seats, option code SA459

SITUATION
When unlocking the vehicle via the remote key fob or the central locking button, the driver's side outside mirror moves unexpectedly. This condition occurs intermittently. When the mirror moves, it seemingly goes to a random position. Pressing the seat memory button typically will return the mirror to the stored position.

CAUSE
When the unlock signal is sent to the car, a mirror position self-check is performed. One of the factors in determining the mirror's present position is an expected resistance value in the circuit. Due to a higher than expected resistance, the Footwell Module (FRM) calculates the mirror position incorrectly. The mirror is then moved to what is believed to be the correct position. The unexpected resistance value is caused by one of the following:

* Corrosion on the LIN-bus connection at the mirror, switch block, or FRM

* Poor connection at the mirror, switch block, or FRM

* Damaged mirror electronics

CORRECTION
Repair or clean the appropriate connections. In isolated cases, the mirror electronics need to be replaced.

PROCEDURE

1. Reproduce the customer complaint by locking and unlocking with the remote key fob or central locking switch.

2. Remove the driver's side door panel per Repair Instruction RA 51 41 000.

3. Remove the window frame trim panel, which covers the mirror connection, per Repair Instruction RA 51 32 160.

GRUSB5108-29

4. Unplug the connector from the mirror.

5. Inspect the connector for any damaged or poorly fitting terminals.

6. If any damage is found, repair or replace the connector and/or terminals.

7. Remove the terminals one by one, and clean thoroughly with electrical contact cleaner.

8. Apply a small amount of dielectric grease to the contact side of the connector.

9. Reinstall the connector.

10. Attempt to reproduce the customer complaint again to determine whether the problem has been resolved.

11. If the problem has not been eliminated, continue with the following procedure.

12. Inspect the connector at the door switch block to check for damaged or poorly fitting terminals which lead to the mirror, as well as those leading to the FRM. These are pins 1, 2, 3, 10, 11, and 12.

13. If any damage is found, repair or replace the connector and/or terminals.

14. Remove the terminals one by one, and clean thoroughly with electrical contact cleaner.

15. Apply a small amount of dielectric grease to the contact side of the connector.

16. Reinstall the connector.

17. Attempt to reproduce the customer complaint again to determine whether the problem has been addressed.

18. If the problem persists, remove the mirror cap per Repair Instruction RA 51 16 040.

19. Inspect the wiring of the mirror electronics for damage or poor connections.

GRUSB5108-30

20. Unplug the mirror electronics (1) and clean the connection (2) on the back side with electrical contact cleaner.

21. Attempt to reproduce the customer complaint again to determine whether the problem has been addressed.

22. If the problem persists, replace the mirror electronics for the driver's side mirror for vehicles not equipped with auto dimming/power fold mirrors (SA430), or the complete mirror for those equipped with auto dimming/power fold mirrors.

PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number
Description
Quantity
Locally sourced
Electrical contact cleaner
83 23 0 149 149
Dielectric grease
67 13 6 972 536
Mirror electronics – driver's side with SA459
1 – if necessary
51 16 7 189 977
Mirror – complete driver's side with SA430
1 – if necessary
WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Defect Code:
51 16 36 41 00

Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
Description:
51 41 000*
Refer to KSD
R&I door trim panel for left or right front door

+51 16 540
Refer to KSD
R&I mirror cover for left or right front door – if
necessary

51 99 000
Work Time
Work time for testing and cleaning connections.
*Main Work - use this labor operation number when this is the only repair being performed, or if this is the main repair when performed along with other repairs at the same time. If this is not the main repair, refer to KSD for the associated (+) labor operation code.
Sublet Code 4**
$2.00
** Reimbursement of up to the amount listed may be charged to sublet code 4 for the Contact cleaner and Dielectric grease required to perform this repair. Claiming this part number outside of sublet code 4 will result in a delayed or denied claim payment.
[ Copyright © 2009 BMW of North America, LLC ]
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2009, 03:34 AM   #18
kurtdaniel
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

im experiencing that exact same problem too..plus another problem with my window regulator..omg.

Last edited by kurtdaniel; 06-22-2009 at 08:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 06:58 AM   #19
Stinger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Convertible

Garage List
2007 335i E93  [7.00]
1993 318is  [0.00]
1996 Z3 1.9  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtdaniel View Post
im experiencing that exact same problem too...
My dealer had to replace the motor in the mirror, that was the only thing that fixes this problem. I did have to wait a good 4 days to get the work done as the part was not in stock, but they gave me a nice X3 loaner so it wasn't so bad.
      07-25-2009, 03:39 PM   #20
oserx
Private First Class
Romania
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 / F30 3 Series LCI

i had the same problem on june 2007 - 118d .... it started after 6 months .. the bmw service changed the complete driver's mirror ... also a friend of mine had some problems on august 2007 330xd ... they solved it the same way ...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 03:49 AM   #21
Huncowboy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5, '19 750i

Both of our cars had the mirror replaced as well. In both cases they had to be ordered. With the 335iC it took some three visits to reproduce the problem. BS. The bulletin did it finally. For the 650i they did it first shot.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 08:40 PM   #22
Shane23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

I guess i gave BMW too much credit, i've noticed this lately.. And my explanation was that when you press the unlock button the next step would be to open the door, and if you notice you've also changed your seating position by moving forward instead of sitting back in the chair as you would while driving. So i thought the mirror was adjusting to the fact that your no longer sitting back and you are preparing to get out of the car, so its adjusts to allow you to see if a car or anything is coming before opening the door.. What you can see while sitting back can change drastically just by moving forward a little.. I guess i'll inquire about this next service.. I've only now noticed that it does this but it is 100% replicable.
Appreciate 0