E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Underseat Subs, Vibrating Cill's

05-07-2013, 04:48 AM   #1
Gazza0210
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320i

Underseat Subs, Vibrating Cill's

So...on a beautiful morning like today there I am driving around with the windows down, playing my music with my new speakers installed and what do I get.........................loads of vibration from the passenger side cill area when the bass kicks in.

Has anyone experienced this at all?

I have done a quick search of the forum but couldn't find anything

Cheers

Gaz.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #2
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza0210 View Post
So...on a beautiful morning like today there I am driving around with the windows down, playing my music with my new speakers installed and what do I get.........................loads of vibration from the passenger side cill area when the bass kicks in.

Has anyone experienced this at all?

I have done a quick search of the forum but couldn't find anything

Cheers

Gaz.
Yes,
A chap called mob17 had the same issue.

So where is your thread? and whats the feedback?
      05-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #3
Gazza0210
Private First Class
Rep

Hi Mate,

Im thinking of taking off the sideskirts and putting a thin layer of foam tape on all surfaces to see if that dampens the rattle.

I didnt have a camera to hand only my phone so I have some dodgy Iphone pics to upload. Im at work at the moment so will get a thread uploaded later this evening.

I must admit im gutted about your Morel's but tbh im rather impressed with the Ground Zero's although they are not a straight swap like they make out they are lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 06:55 AM   #4
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

its because the under seat sub enclosure port faces the side skirt and causes the rattle -

mine rattles as I have earthquake subs and the only thing I can suggest is take off the side skirts add foam strips or block up the port hole (I would suggest the former to try first)
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Mine rattles too on the passenger side - I've had a look & a rummage under the seat but there's nothing loose under there. It didn't start straight after the upgrade but started a few weeks later - I'll have to take the speaker out & have a look - is there anything I should be wary of when moving the seat out of the way?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
Gazza0210
Private First Class
Rep

Mistryn, thanks for the reply.
Im going to try and block the hole to see if it is that, if it is then I will take off the skirts and tape em up.

IanS100, Mine is the passenger side too.
If you want to remove the seat to have a look make sure you disconnect the battery first or you will have a warning light on the dash if the seat plug gets accidently disconnected, then you will have to go and get cleared by your friendly neighbourhood Bmw Stealer lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Hi Mate,
I must admit im gutted about your Morel's but tbh im rather impressed with the Ground Zero's although they are not a straight swap like they make out they are lol.
Morel under seats may go for sale on this forum. I have one potential buyer and price is stealth comparing the prices of earthquakes / Jehnerts.
If that chap backs out, then they will be up here for sale.

Guys
Rattling is due to 2 reasons;
1- Your underseat gains are not correct.
2- The metallic chamber behind passenger side skirt is slightly different to driver side. (theory).

Solution;
1- Take the underseat out and apply the sound deadening stuff from there to the inner side of that chamber.
2- If you are going to take the side skirt off, then make sure you apply thinest layer of the sound deadening (may be NASA compatible, in micron), otherwise you may struggle to fit the side skirt back.

All the best and kindly report back.
      05-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Quote:
IanS100, Mine is the passenger side too.
If you want to remove the seat to have a look make sure you disconnect the battery first or you will have a warning light on the dash if the seat plug gets accidently disconnected, then you will have to go and get cleared by your friendly neighbourhood Bmw Stealer lol.
It's the airbag light that I was thinking about, it was triped by the pass seat when the install was done & was a right pita till it was reset

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Guys
Rattling is due to 2 reasons;
1- Your underseat gains are not correct.
2- The metallic chamber behind passenger side skirt is slightly different to driver side. (theory).

Solution;
1- Take the underseat out and apply the sound deadening stuff from there to the inner side of that chamber.
2- If you are going to take the side skirt off, then make sure you apply thinest layer of the sound deadening (may be NASA compatible, in micron), otherwise you may struggle to fit the side skirt back.

All the best and kindly report back.
Cheers makkan00, It's only the pass speaker so I guess more likely to be a speaker & insulate job, the weather's improving so I had better get it sorted
Appreciate 0