E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Having trouble changing VO with replacement DME

05-03-2015, 03:12 PM   #1
hardr85
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i e90

Having trouble changing VO with replacement DME

I replaced DME in my e90 with one fron an e60 xdrive. I have changed the VO in CAS and FRM, but it is not sticking.

I have tried every DIY I can find, with no success. I found cryptomit's DIY which included coding the VO to the module after the change, but It did not work.

Am I missing something? All of the other modules, except for the DME have the correct VO and I am still getting dsc, brake, and traction controll lights. I also get a sunroof error, headlight errors, and my cruise controll does not work. When I compare the VO's from the 2 DME's, all of the lights make sense because the VO' are different for each of these options.

Do I need to download the e60 daten files for it to work? Since I cant change the VIN in the used DME, will any changes I make to the DME have be done using the e60 chasis? Can I change the chasis in the DME, or is that based on the VIN# and or VO?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 09:41 AM   #2
glachhman2
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

It wont work
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 09:21 AM   #3
hardr85
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I was searching and saw my post, I had forgotten about. I did get it to work a while back. I wanted to make sure and do a follow up for anyone who is in the same boat, and just starting like I was back then.

What I didnt realize then is that after changing the VO in the CAS and FRM, I needed to code the entire car for the changed VO's to become effective. A lot of the information out there does not mention that step.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 11:16 PM   #4
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
coding DME should be enough, no need to code entire car

btw why did u change VO?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 09:23 AM   #5
hardr85
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I bricked my DME during a flash, and had to buy used one with CAS and key. The used DME came from a 530xi. It was plug and play, but I had the trifecta of lights and was trying to change VO to remove xdrive thinking that was the cause of the lights.

This was the first time I had tried any of this so I was learning. The VO changes stuck in CAS and FRM, but nothing changed until I coded the entire car.

It took me months to figure it out, I have no idea why it didn't work until I coded car, but it worked. I am still learning.

I got my original DME up again thanks to hassmachine, with a tune added, which is awesome BTW. If anybody wants to buy a msv70 with CAS and key for $350, pm me. The VO in the DME is for my 2006 330I.

I am sure there was an easier way to get to where I ended up, please advise so that others don't have to go through what I did.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 03:50 PM   #6
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
Oh i see, then its clear,
Used DME can also be programmed to the car (no need to buy CAS, etc)
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 02:03 AM   #7
hardr85
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I think it is possible, but it is not easy. That is way above my knowledge level, it I think I have read where people have done it.

For the most part, for people like me, it is not possible. You have to have a DME, CAS, and key all from same car for it to work.

You can change the VO in replacement DME to match your car, but you can't change the VIN in the DME which is not a big deal.

The used DME I bought on eBay, had modules in it that had two different VIN's show up in INPA, then it had three different VIN's when I put it in my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 08:25 AM   #8
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Many people do this. Check the forum. Lots of people clone their DME and write it to a used DME as a backup. Then they are free to remap their original DME as they see fit. If something goes wrong or their are warranty problems simple swap DME for your clone. Easy.

Obviously this can only be done on the bench - not via OBD port.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 12:13 AM   #9
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
deleted
-----------------------
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 04:00 AM   #10
stuta
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardr85 View Post
I was searching and saw my post, I had forgotten about. I did get it to work a while back. I wanted to make sure and do a follow up for anyone who is in the same boat, and just starting like I was back then.

What I didnt realize then is that after changing the VO in the CAS and FRM, I needed to code the entire car for the changed VO's to become effective. A lot of the information out there does not mention that step.
hello there

can you please lay down all the necessary steps needed to change VO so as to get rid of the traction control, abs and dsc warning lights on the dash.

i changed my e90 06' 330d dde and cas which works fine but am stuck with these lights.

i have ncs expert but need guide lines on how to code/change the dde and cas VO to match my cars' and get rid of the lights.

i have inpa, ncs expert, winkfp and all....i am a diy guy but am scared i will fry my car if i simply jump into coding without the correct guide. thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 02:26 PM   #11
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardr85 View Post

hello there

can you please lay down all the necessary steps needed to change VO so as to get rid of the traction control, abs and dsc warning lights on the dash.

i changed my e90 06' 330d dde and cas which works fine but am stuck with these lights.

i have ncs expert but need guide lines on how to code/change the dde and cas VO to match my cars' and get rid of the lights.

i have inpa, ncs expert, winkfp and all....i am a diy guy but am scared i will fry my car if i simply jump into coding without the correct guide. thanks in advance
You should copy your VO to the new CAS from your FRM.

Load the FRM VO in NCS Expert. Then FA_WRITE CAS module.

Then default code CAS and DDE with expert/factory mode profile and SG_CODIEREN
Appreciate 0