E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > OIL SLUDGE and oill change warning

06-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #45
Bill-SD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 335i / '14 328i

It's hard to believe someone as rational and respectful as you seem ever getting refused service I'm going to guess the dealership isn't the first place that's done that?
      06-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #46
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
Okay, I will.

2006 E90 145,940 miles - OCI average 17,500 miles

1997 Z3 144,000 miles - OCI average 12,000 miles

1989 E30 325i 256,000 miles - OCI average 10,000 miles

All owned since new.

And pics of my intake cam at 109,000 miles. See any sludge?

Any other questions?

So whats ur point..b/c u wanna run extra long drain intervals and you have a clean engine..we should all follow ur schedule..n for what to save $100 every 6 months..as i said before it cheap insurance..oil is the most vital part of any engine..

And i wouldnt be surpirsed if you did a manual clean of the head at some point..there are countless guys here who have opened up the head to find the intake valves caked w carbon deposits..n they had substantially less miles..

These cars as DI engines which means u dont get cleaning of the intake valves w use of traditionally fuel cleaner and additives..so frequent oil changes are a good call.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #47
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Um, his point was that you said something like "if you believe in the long intervals so much, why don't YOU follow it and tell us how it went?" As in, Mr. Sarcasm says "put your money where your mouth is".

Well, he did.

As for the DI and the intake valves--this is a function of the equivalent of the PCV--positive crankcase ventilation--which carries some oil, not sludge, around with the air. Oil changes won't hurt or help that problem.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm not disagreeing with you about the oil changes being good insurance. I completely agree with you. I'm just being trying to be proper on the arguments used for it.
      06-12-2011, 04:56 PM   #48
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

N my point is b/c u have one guy running long drain intervals..its not good advice to give to people.. take the OP w sludge in his engine..as I said that can ONLY happen from not changing oil enuff
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #49
slimmie
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
N my point is b/c u have one guy running long drain intervals..its not good advice to give to people.. take the OP w sludge in his engine..as I said that can ONLY happen from not changing oil enuff
You really make no sense. You already stated your point and no one is denying that... and also, "one guy" and "not good advice" ?? try the couple of millions just in america following BMW's suggested interval. If bmw intervals played such a crucial role in the development of sludge, we would be seeing ALOT more failures occuring
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #50
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

its hopeless..run the same oil forever if it makes u happy..or follow BMW recommendations..that way u can be the ultimate BMW service fanboi.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 11:57 PM   #51
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
There is obviously much more to this story than we are being told.

Why did the dealer refuse to do an oil change - requiring the OP to go to an indy?

There is no requirement to go to a dealer to have required maintenance done (but why wouldn't you when under the "free" maintenance plan?)

Keeping receipts and a journal showing when maintenance was done, what was done, who did it and what parts were used (that's where you need receipts - I'd even keep labels from bottles, lids from boxes or dated photographs of supplies if the receipts don't show the required info like brand, type and viscosity of oil.)

If BMWNA won't accept what he has then there is something very fishy with the OP and his car.

Dude the car isn't even under warranty so of course BMW will not replace the engine. I am sure there is more to the story then we are hearing. The basic fact is the OP wants BMW to cover the cost of an engine replacement even though he is has 52,000 miles. He is slamming them about the oil change but that is really not to point at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 01:14 AM   #52
Norcal_335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

OP you are screwed!!!Buy a new motor and move on!!! ATTENTION BMW OWNERS....if your leasing car following BMW intervals...if you bought your car like myself don't follow BMW intervals because BMW wants you to buy motors and transmissions on your dime. I change motor oil every 5k if you don't best of luck to you!!!

Last edited by Norcal_335i; 06-13-2011 at 01:16 AM.. Reason: add infor
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 02:58 AM   #53
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_335i View Post
OP you are screwed!!!Buy a new motor and move on!!! ATTENTION BMW OWNERS....if your leasing car following BMW intervals...if you bought your car like myself don't follow BMW intervals because BMW wants you to buy motors and transmissions on your dime. I change motor oil every 5k if you don't best of luck to you!!!
There is zero incentive for BMW to have their cars blow up due to long oil intervals. One can argue the intervals for oil changes but few if any of us have engineering data to back up our arguments. You say 5k I have seen many that say 3k and some that say 10k. Modern oils and engines have very different characteristics than conventional motor oils in older engines. I have a great deal of faith in the BMW engineers, if I didn't I wouldn't buy their car.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 03:05 AM   #54
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

I 100% agree w Norcal..this is exactly the reason y u cant buy indvidual transmission parts or differential parts ..BMW ONLY sells units as a whole..they are banking on people having to spend big $ down the line and if u mess up a gear or synchro...u gotta buy the whole transmission..total scam

Engines u can buy individual internals..but then whos gonna do the rebuild?..OP can buy a reman engine for about $10k...plus labor.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 03:07 AM   #55
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
There is zero incentive for BMW to have their cars blow up due to long oil intervals. One can argue the intervals for oil changes but few if any of us have engineering data to back up our arguments. You say 5k I have seen many that say 3k and some that say 10k. Modern oils and engines have very different characteristics than conventional motor oils in older engines. I have a great deal of faith in the BMW engineers, if I didn't I wouldn't buy their car.

Exactly im not an engineer...thats y i will err on side of caution w 5k intervals..seriously for $100..wth?..or u can be brainwashed by BMW's bullshit..ur call
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 06:07 AM   #56
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
So whats ur point..b/c u wanna run extra long drain intervals and you have a clean engine..we should all follow ur schedule..n for what to save $100 every 6 months..as i said before it cheap insurance..oil is the most vital part of any engine..

And i wouldnt be surpirsed if you did a manual clean of the head at some point..there are countless guys here who have opened up the head to find the intake valves caked w carbon deposits..n they had substantially less miles..

These cars as DI engines which means u dont get cleaning of the intake valves w use of traditionally fuel cleaner and additives..so frequent oil changes are a good call.
My point is you said "stick with the BMW maintenance schedule and see where that gets you" and I showed you that I currently have two BMWs maintained to BMW's schedule and both have nearly 150,000 miles on them; the other went 256K with me (and another 40K after that from the second owner). So my point is the BMW schedule works. I have three cars (not just one) to prove it. I'm not telling anyone to follow MY schedule, I'm showing there is proof the BMW maintenance schedule works. And having three cars all with the same result doesn't mean I’m just lucky. You imply BMW has some conspiracy to have their cars blow up after the 100,000 (extended warranty) runs out because they short change you on the free oil changes, which is just an asinine position to take.

Your point about direct injection and oil sludge are unrelated. True, DI does not allow for detergents in the gasoline to keep valves clean, but what does that have to do with sludging of oil? Carboned-up valves means the engine breathing is affected; it doesn't mean the oil gets sludged up.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 08:13 AM   #57
xG35c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i

Lots of misinformation here. The primary reason for oil sludge buildup is short trips in cold conditions which do not heat the oil enough to boil off the accumulated moisture from blow-by and condensation. The computer's service interval is supposed to take this into account, but if that describes your driving, best to change every 10k miles or at least every year. Lots of high speed highway driving, synthetic oil will easily accommodate 15k+ intervals (remember the original Mobil 1 ads and their 25k mile oil life claims?).
Changing synthetic oil at less than 10k / 1 year intervals - pretty much a waste of money!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 08:16 AM   #58
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Waterfall Vert

My trips and driving is mostly highway miles so my oil changes will have higher miles.
Everyone is missing the point, I followed BMW's plan of oil changes and now I have sludge.
I asked for the oil to be changed more and was told no it does not need to be.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #59
wren57
Roll Tide
Rep
Drives: 335i

How are you sure the indy shop used the correct oil? Do you have a receipt?
      06-13-2011, 08:42 AM   #60
Kikken
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wren57 View Post
How are you sure the indy shop used the correct oil? Do you have a receipt?
Not to mention the right filter. Some aftermarket filters can disintegrate long before 15k.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 09:27 AM   #61
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Still waiting to hear why BMW denied you the first oil change at 16k.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #62
JawjaDawg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Crimson Red E92

Federal Law Prohibits New Car Dealers From Implying Or Denying Warranty Service Because Routine Scheduled Maintenance Was Performed At An Independant Repair Facility

Magnusen Moss Act (1975)
Title 15-chapter 50-section 2301-2312
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 10:14 AM   #63
Fastkiwi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is/BMW K1200S

subscribed to see the ending to this..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 11:01 AM   #64
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:

I just re-read your post and now realize you are a complete f'ing idiot. You see a picture of my intake camshaft and relate it to carboned-up valves and direct injection engines and oil sludge. You insinuate I actually took off my valve cover, cleaned the valve-train, put it back together, then took a picture through the oil fill hole (why not the whole valve train while I had the cover off?), just so I can lie about BMW's OCI schedule. You are a serious BUTT-HEAD. The thread that has been posted about a member removing his intake and cleaning his valves HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SLUDGE BUILD UP ON A VALVE TRAIN.

I suggest you go and learn about how engines are designed, built, and operate before you go making asinine statements. An engine can have valves that are badly caked in carbon build up, but the valve train that operates the valves in top of the cylinder head can be as clean as your ass after your Momma wiped it for you as a baby (or possibly still does today).
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #65
muttly
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 328i 6MT Nav

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #66
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Now it makes sense!

Op's other post.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318037

Here is an excerpt from Op's other post:

The GM says they will not service my car and would like me to leave, I politely ask him for something in writing saying they will not service my car, he says he will not.
I ask hm why they will not service my car and he tells me that because I have a legal action against the dealership that they can not work on my car. I told him it's low a quart of oil and the cars computer says the oil needs to be changed, he said they will not service it. I said the nearest BMW dealership is 2 hours away, that I am not driving there, and that I was already told I could not let a local BMW tuner service it or I was told the warranty would be voided, he just said you have to look for other options.
I said look I just want my oil changed and the car checked, he asks me to leave. I told him he is just making it worse and to have a nice day.
As I leave the whole freaking dealership is standing around looking.

I get my key back from the hot service advisor and go to leave, as I am getting in the car the police officer is leaving and I ask him if he was here because of me. He rolls his eyes and says sorry I am, they want you off the property, I told him they are a bunch of pussys and he laughs.
I go back to work and call my attorney, he is kinda shocked by it all, I told him I will call BNWNA about it.

OP: You have the balls to go back to that dealer!
Wow, just wow!
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0