E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Any roofers/builders?

12-20-2011, 01:23 AM   #1
jonl1983
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: F12 640d M Sport

Any roofers/builders?

Recently had all the cavity walls in my house done and I topped up all of my loft with insulation. Went in there yesterday and noticed some fairly large soaked parts from where condensation has formed on the roof lining and dropped onto the boards below.

My question is would fitting soffit vents prevent this and if so how much would I be looking at to get them fitted?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 01:59 AM   #2
jjbirch530d
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw 5 series

depends on what soffits you have, but its a easy job and costs pence to buy its the labour thats going to cost to climb up the ladder and drill the holes and clip the vents in place i think the drill bit is 63mm and they should be 20cm apart
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 06:59 AM   #3
dobsy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonl1983 View Post
Recently had all the cavity walls in my house done and I topped up all of my loft with insulation. Went in there yesterday and noticed some fairly large soaked parts from where condensation has formed on the roof lining and dropped onto the boards below.

My question is would fitting soffit vents prevent this and if so how much would I be looking at to get them fitted?
Sorry can't help with your enquiry but wanted to pick your brains!

Is this insulation you've done the cause of the condensation then? I've just moved into a 3 bed semi and I want to look at doing what you have done.
So with the loft insulation is it just a case of laying it across the boards and job done or not that simple?
I believe there's loads of offers out there at the minute for free (or small fees) cavity wall insulation so I'll look at that in Jan aswell.
Just interested in the above issue you have when I come to do mine.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

I'm probably the worse person to ask about DIY stuff, i hate it but i did put more insulation in our loft last year.

The instructions said always leave a slight gap at the edges to allow air flow from the vents in the walls (air bricks or whatever they are).

So i assume it would cure the condensation problem. There sounds like currently there is no airflow. Like not having an extractor in a kitchen/bathroom.

As for laying the stuff if i can do it, anyone can. Piece of piss. Only need a stanley knife and some gloves. You can cross hatch it with what is already there.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
335ier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

I don't know a lot about lofts and vents etc but make sure the insulation isn't tucked too far in the edges because if it is then the soffit vents won't work anyway. In my experience there is usually more than enough ventilation without additional vents.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #6
jonl1983
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: F12 640d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobsy View Post
Sorry can't help with your enquiry but wanted to pick your brains!

Is this insulation you've done the cause of the condensation then? I've just moved into a 3 bed semi and I want to look at doing what you have done.
So with the loft insulation is it just a case of laying it across the boards and job done or not that simple?
I believe there's loads of offers out there at the minute for free (or small fees) cavity wall insulation so I'll look at that in Jan aswell.
Just interested in the above issue you have when I come to do mine.

The insulation has probably exacerbated the condensation slightly due to increasing the temperature differences and humidity in the loft space. Laying the loft insulation is a piece of piss. I have probably pushed it too close to the edge and am blocking the ventilation that should be coming through the soffits naturally. I will et back up there and move it.

Cheers for the advice JJ, I will move the insulation back slightly at first, if this doesnt help then i will fit myself some vents
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 12:57 AM   #7
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Get some rafter trays installed -

http://www.harcon.co.uk/eaves/rafter.aspx
      12-21-2011, 03:19 AM   #8
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

roof space has to be ventilated usually with soffit vents and you need 11" (4" in the joists and 7" laid across the top) of loft insulation for max effectiveness
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
ashley
Rep
Drives: e90 m sport

u just need a couple of vent tiles spaced about on the roof.
Appreciate 0