E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Battery exploded in my trunk; Please read so this doesn't happen to your E9X.

12-24-2010, 06:54 AM   #67
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

OP sorry to hear about this incident, I am of the camp that a battery goes, you drive to Sears or Wal Mart, get one, put it in, and throw the old one in the woods off the interstate highway (j/k). This forum was the first place I ever heard of having to "register" the battery to the car.

I was thinking of getting my battery replaced yesterday on my appt., but prior, I've never seen anyone getting one under warranty. My SA told me 5-6 years is expected, and BMW will rarely replace a battery under warranty (my car is 49 mos.). I saw another thread where the OP said his battery was tested, charged, and the dealership told him he doesn't drive the car enough to charge it properly--I think I am still in this situation as well.

Anyway, after looking through the DIY for the E9x battery, for now, I'm pretty much decided I wouldn't DIY due to the potential for consequential damage.

So if it's any consoloation to the OP, he's doing a good thing when he says "so this doesn't happen to your E9x." That's making a positive out of a bad situation. Merry Christmas OP, thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 06:58 AM   #68
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suckr4Straight6s View Post
So I get in my car yesterday morning and go to start it. It starts up fine, but my hardwired Valentine-1 goes haywire repeatedly turning on and off. The ABS light also pops up. This seemed awfully strange but I figured I would address it later after work when I get home.

I proceed to pull out of the driveway continue on. As I'm driving down the road, all of a sudden I hear this really loud BANG. It literally sounded like an MLB pitcher threw a fast ball at the back of my trunk. 30 seconds later my car powers off completely and dies in the middle of a busy street. No lights, no radio, won't turn over, nothin. Then I smell smoke coming from the trunk. I get out and open the trunk, pull off the battery cover on the right hand side and I see smoldering wires and melted plastic.

Of course theres a guard rail to the left of me and a sidewalk to the right and I'm on an incline so I'm basically f***ed. I call triple A and they send a CHP to assist me in getting off the road, followed by a tow truck. While I'm waiting for the officer, this little old man who can barely see over his dashboard locks up his brakes and almost impales me between my car and his.

Finally the cop gets there, uses his bumper to push me off the road so that I'm not endangering myself or other drivers. Well he ends up leaving two nice big creases in the back of my bumper in the process.

About a half hour goes by and the tow truck shows up and lo and behold its one of those POS tow trucks that just attaches to the back of your car and basically drags it with the back end sticking up. After seeing my neighbors 993 porsche have its bumper torn in half by one of these sh*t trucks 4 years ago, I said no way. Theres no way you're towing my car with this thing, I need a flatbed tow truck. Of course, that entailed waiting another three hours before one could get there. Finally they show up with a proper tow truck capable of towing a sports car with low clearance.

I get it towed to my shop, Valley Motorwerks and explain everything to them. (They've got one mechanic who really knows E9X's) After examining the battery he tells me what he thinks happened; It turns out when you change the battery in an E9X, you have to plug in a diagnostic tool and punch in a code telling the car that you are putting in a new battery. (I changed the battery myself a few months ago and put in an interstate) Furthermore, according to him you can only use a BMW OEM battery in an E9X. By failing to do either, this is what will result.

I'm sorry but this is so f***ing weak on BMW's part. Sabotaging your f***ing customers so that your dealerships can make more money? I've changed plenty of batteries in my lifetime in my E36's and my old E46. And never has any bulls**t like this happened from using an aftermarket battery.

I got the call this morning from the mechanic. He says its gonna be close to a thousand bucks to replace all of the damaged cables and parts in order to get the car running again.

BMW NA and BMW GmBh, **** you!
Love the ohm. Glad you're ok.

Gotta love MBA's....hopefully you guys don't graduate more useless MBAs and Lawyers! This is what results!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 07:33 AM   #69
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Sucker4StraightSixes, I'm now confused on this issue after re-reading your original post. So did the battery actually explode (i.e. the battery case rupture, spewing battery acid all over the battery well in the right rear fender), or did the pyrotechnic positive terminal (errantly) activate and break the power cables as it is supposed to do?

For the battery (case) to explode there would have to be serious venting problem and a build up of hydrogen gas to an unbelievable level to rupture the plastic case, or enough hydrogen gas present along with a spark to cause a small hydrogen explosion.

If the pyrotechnic positive terminal device exploded then it somehow malfunctioned, but it would have triggered the flashers, turned on the interior lights, and unlocked all the doors (if they were in the locked position).

Could you please clarify what exactly happened? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 07:37 AM   #70
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyT View Post
Bullshit. BMW is so "special" that you can't change your own battery?? Total nonsense.

Then the damn car that warns and alerts you about hundreds of other things (since it's so "sophisticated"), should let you know that "Hey, I see you have a new battery. Please contact your dealer or authorized shop to ensure proper configuration with the vehicle". Is that so difficult??
No one said BMWs are so special that you can't put your own battery in. Please don't twist others' words to fit your ignorance.

Electrolysis in lead acid batteries produces H and O. Provide a spark and things go

Many of us change our own batteries, including putting in lightweight Braille batteries. There are right ways and wrong ways to install batteries. It is no longer the easy job that it once was. Reading service manuals and checking SIBs is a good idea. While you're at it, check out the forum rules as well; please remember that there are innocent types reading posts, and Big Brother doesn't want them exposed to foul words.

Cars have changed. One size fits all simplicity is a thing of the past. This is not some nefarious plot to foil the DIY'er and extract more $ out of hapless owners. BMW, Porsche et al don't hire engineers to figure out ways to prevent owners from doing their own service. [Of course the flipside also holds true: BMW et al don't hire engineers to make things easier for us to DIY either. Let's not get started on the e-dipstick...] This is a tired old argument. I remember back when fuel injection replaced carburetors and the weekend wrenches bitched that it was all a plan to make things so complicated that you had to take your car to the dealer for service.

By your logic you should feel cheated that you can't go to radio shack and buy some circuit boards to replace the ECU.

Look, we all feel for the OP. We appreciate his thread warning us of the potential dangers of battery replacement. I remember an old guy a few farms down from where I grew up that had acid burns from a battery exploding when he was jump starting his tractor. As best as I can remember, he never blamed John Deere.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 07:50 AM   #71
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
No one said BMWs are so special that you can't put your own battery in. Please don't twist others' words to fit your ignorance.

Electrolysis in lead acid batteries produces H and O. Provide a spark and things go

Many of us change our own batteries, including putting in lightweight Braille batteries. There are right ways and wrong ways to install batteries. It is no longer the easy job that it once was. Reading service manuals and checking SIBs is a good idea. While you're at it, check out the forum rules as well; please remember that there are innocent types reading posts, and Big Brother doesn't want them exposed to foul words.

Cars have changed. One size fits all simplicity is a thing of the past. This is not some nefarious plot to foil the DIY'er and extract more $ out of hapless owners. BMW, Porsche et al don't hire engineers to figure out ways to prevent owners from doing their own service. [Of course the flipside also holds true: BMW et al don't hire engineers to make things easier for us to DIY either. Let's not get started on the e-dipstick...] This is a tired old argument. I remember back when fuel injection replaced carburetors and the weekend wrenches bitched that it was all a plan to make things so complicated that you had to take your car to the dealer for service.

By your logic you should feel cheated that you can't go to radio shack and buy some circuit boards to replace the ECU.

Look, we all feel for the OP. We appreciate his thread warning us of the potential dangers of battery replacement. I remember an old guy a few farms down from where I grew up that had acid burns from a battery exploding when he was jump starting his tractor. As best as I can remember, he never blamed John Deere.
This is why I'm still confused; unless the OP installed the battery backwards there is really no way to install it incorrectly. The TIS procedure says to be careful because the negative cable IBS can be easily damaged if excessive force is used to remove the negative cable, and maybe that is the problem that caused the issue.

I agree with you on the BS conspiracy theory.

And I like fuel injection, much easier to deal with than carburetors.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 08:14 AM   #72
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
This is why I'm still confused; unless the OP installed the battery backwards there is really no way to install it incorrectly. The TIS procedure says to be careful because the negative cable IBS can be easily damaged if excessive force is used to remove the negative cable, and maybe that is the problem that caused the issue.

I agree with you on the BS conspiracy theory.

And I like fuel injection, much easier to deal with than carburetors.
I doubt that he cracked the negative pole, although that is a possibility.

Something caused a regulation incompatibility resulting in overcharging when he started the engine. Something caused a ventilation failure. Something caused a spark. Hopefully a tech will chime in and hypothesize what the somethings might be.

I agree on the FI -- the Kugelfishers on my tii were easier to deal with than the Webers on my ti.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 08:33 AM   #73
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasVS View Post
Gee about all I can say after reading your F**cking stupid post is that you got just the Sh*t you had coming not checking on the battery issue. You stupid F*cks think it's BMW's fault your so F*cking lazy and cheap to properly service your ride.
================================================== =================
Moderator, please understand the sarcasm is to illustrate how much fun it is to read a vulgarity laced post on this forum!
Ughh please understand that posts like this will get threads like these closed.

You pointed out nothing and are sparking a fire with the OP.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 08:36 AM   #74
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
So what about all those guys (like Mr.5 and HP autowerks) using the Braille batteries with no problems? Not only not coded, but significantly different in capacity.

Not sure I'm buying op's theory.
So Anyone have the braille? Fedex says mine is coming today but I'm not sure how to register it with my bt tool. I understand where the battery registration menu is but what's in it?

Any settings? What are they for the 21lb Braille?

EDIT: Also my car will be sitting for a good 5 days.....should I wait to install the new battery? I'm thinking yes.

Last edited by fdriller9; 12-24-2010 at 08:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 08:48 AM   #75
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
So Anyone have the braille? Fedex says mine is coming today but I'm not sure how to register it with my bt tool. I understand where the battery registration menu is but what's in it?

Any settings? What are they for the 21lb Braille?

EDIT: Also my car will be sitting for a good 5 days.....should I wait to install the new battery? I'm thinking yes.
Of course you should wait.
      12-24-2010, 09:01 AM   #76
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
I wonder if the OP replaced his non-AGM with an AGM.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=44

Read the section: "Do not charge AGM batteries with 14.8 volts or use use rapid charging programs"

I think it also goes over the registration process at the bottom.....I'm still confused though.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 09:29 AM   #77
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
And what theory is that? I'm going off of what the mechanic told me.
The theory that its completely your fault. I think there was something wrong with the Battery.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 09:55 AM   #78
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
To do the adaption reset with the BT tool, all you do is:

Engine Module, Commands, Battery Replacement Adaption, Click Send Button.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 09:59 AM   #79
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post

Yea but I have a feeling that's not just it. There are non-AGM and AGM batteries for our cars.

You need to change the programming for each to charge correct.....and prevent over/under charge.

EDIT: My car is at the dealer to get engine head replaced.....I guess I'll ask my SA.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #80
Juiced46
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post
I mean a battery is a battery is it not?

12 volt battery, similar cold cranking amps?

I still dont get how this happened?

Like physically what happens when you dont get a OEM BMW battery and have it "coded".

Excuse my ignorance but I think all of us still have this question.

Just trying to figure out what the registering/coding does.
Quote:

I'm sorry but this is so f***ing weak on BMW's part. Sabotaging your f***ing customers so that your dealerships can make more money? I've changed plenty of batteries in my lifetime in my E36's and my old E46. And never has any bulls**t like this happened from using an aftermarket battery.

I got the call this morning from the mechanic. He says its gonna be close to a thousand bucks to replace all of the damaged cables and parts in order to get the car running again.

BMW NA and BMW GmBh, **** you!
Why is this weak on BMWs part? They arent sabotaging their customers. Maybe some people need to read and understand on how their car operates before they go putting parts in their car that arent correct, and not following the proper procedures. Your E36 or E46 cars are TOTALLY different when it comes to the electronics of the vehicle, modules, etc. Your E36/46s did not have IBS cables and the computer system isnt as sophisticated as the E90 is. This is why BMW stresses to customers that you need to use an OEM battery and it MUST be registered.

When replacing the battery in a BMW with an IBS cable (which yours has) You need to register the new battery, to tell the DME that it now has a fresh battery with full capacity. Basically what happens is. The IBS cable monitors the battery, voltage, capacity, temp etc. Over time the battery will discharge ( it may still output correct voltage) but its capacity drains. When this happens the IBS cable tells the DME to tell the Alternator to slowly bump itself up do the battery is getting weaker, so it will charge it more so it can keep up. Now when you replace the battery, the new battery obviously has a full capacity. The IBS cable will not know right away that you have a new battery in it. So it can potentially OVERCHARGE the new battery for a brief period of time until it relearns which can potentially shorten the life of the new batt. The reason for registering is basically to tell the system it has a new battery, with full capacity and it doesnt need to be charged at a higher rate.

The battery that you installed, did it have the same exact specs as the OEM one?

I didnt read through this whole thread, so Im not sure if anyone posted this info yet. But dont go and blame BMW for this, this isnt their fault. You didnt take the proper steps to maintenance on your car, probably because you wanted to save money (nothing wrong with that) But you should have atleast done some research before hand. Now your issue may not happen to everyone that changes to an aftermarket battery and not registering, but its definitely possible. If that is even the reason the battery did fail. Like others have mentioned, improper venting, wrong battery type, etc etc. There is a reason why the manufacturers give you that little booklet.

Last edited by Juiced46; 12-24-2010 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #81
Juiced46
Major
Rep

Quote:

Thats not the same as doing a battery registration. You cannot do that with the BT tool. All that is doing is resetting your engine adaptations which is totally different then registering a battery change
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 12:42 PM   #82
Juiced46
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliceman13300 View Post
Changing a battery without having to re-program the entire car?
You DO NOT have to reprogram the entire car. Just need to run a test on the car and register the battery. People- registering a new battery does not mean the whole car gets programmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shragon View Post

i also believe that one of the reasons for the battery registration is easy money for the dealer. if registration is really required for every new battery you put in an e9x, imho, this should really just be offered as a free service or at the very least a very low cost service as it sounds like it takes them very little time to do it.

all that said, and with some past reading and research, i'm just not sure if i buy into the whole registration of the battery. and i know this debate will go on and on and on, like the enigizer bunny.

anyway, good luck with everything!
Totally false. This has nothing to do with the dealer trying to make easy money. Registering the battery is a must when replacing the battery, even if its the same specs. This is straight from BMW, not the dealer trying to rip people off. Your BMW tech friend should have paid attention in his electrical BMW class if he really was a BMW tech.

Also OP, what kind of battery did you install?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 01:42 PM   #83
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced46 View Post
Thats not the same as doing a battery registration. You cannot do that with the BT tool. All that is doing is resetting your engine adaptations which is totally different then registering a battery change
I know how to get to the registration command.....and that's not the right command. There is an adaptation and a registration. I beleive both need to be reset.

The registration command is 3 up from the bottom. Battery adaptation is about in the middle.
[IMG]http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww146/*********/BTToolBatteryRegistration.png[/IMG]

I was asking if there are any parameters to set: AGM vs non-AGM. Different capacities and more importantly, charging programs, as each battery has a different program, especially the AGM vs non-AGM types.

Anyway so I just got back from picking up my car from the dealer. I had to get my engine head replaced as well as the sensor mat in the passenger seat.

I asked my SA if she was familiar with battery registration. She said yes so I asked her what exactly is done. I told her I was aware of the 2 types of batteries in our cars: AGM and non-AGM. And that I also knew there were a few different capacities for each type.

You can find all the manufacturers, specs, and types for my, MY'06 330xi here.

Scroll to the bottom:

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...99&hg=61&fg=30

Anyway once I asked for specifics, she didn't know and I was expecting that since most SAs do not work on the cars themselves. Then she brought over the service manager who was a COMPLETE DICK to me.

I asked him if any parameters are set. He responded with something like this: You CAN'T register the battery yourself. There is NO tool for this. It can ONLY be done with ISTA or whatever the protocol is, here at the dealer. And I asked again in different way: So once you reset it, that's that? There's nothing you have to select or input?

Response: No only BMW sets those specs.

No shit asshole. That's why I'm asking you what they are.....

At that point, I gave my SA a look and she rolled her eyes. I thanked my SA and specifically told the service manager I was not thanking him and that he was of no help.

As I was leaving I was thinking about telling him that HE was the reason why I hate going to dealerships.....I should have.

So I would tell you guys further on what happens when I do the registration, but I am away for a week and my car will be sitting. I don't want to install the new battery for obvious reasons but once I am back I can make a thread showing the process and if any parameters need to be set.

Last edited by fdriller9; 12-24-2010 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #84
Juiced46
Major
Rep

I didnt realize you are talking about the Bavaraian Technic tool, I thought you were talking about burgers tool my bad. The registration in that seems ok but there are more options in ISTA.

The Service Manager probably doesnt know about the BT tool that is why he said you can only do it in ISTA.

And there are different options when registering a battery. Im fully aware of how it works. When using ISTA and you register a battery its asks either if you are replacing the battery with the same type and capacity, asks if you are retrofitting an AGM, or if you want to change to a different capacity. It will also show how many times the battery was replaced, and at what kilometer reading it was replaced at. This is good for diagnosis in battery/charging issues.

So to answer your question. Yes there is an option to select non AGM or AGM when registering a Batt in ISTA, as far as doing it in the BT tool, Im not sure.

Quote:
I know how to get to the registration command.....and that's not the right command. There is an adaptation and a registration. I beleive both need to be reset.

The registration command is 3 up from the bottom. Battery adaptation is about in the middle.
[IMG]http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww146/*********/BTToolBatteryRegistration.png[/IMG]

I was asking if there are any parameters to set: AGM vs non-AGM. Different capacities and more importantly, charging programs, as each battery has a different program, especially the AGM vs non-AGM types.

Anyway so I just got back from picking up my car from the dealer. I had to get my engine head replaced as well as the sensor mat in the passenger seat.

I asked my SA if she was familiar with battery registration. She said yes so I asked her what exactly is done. I told her I was aware of the 2 types of batteries in our cars: AGM and non-AGM. And that I also knew there were a few different capacities for each type.

You can find all the manufacturers, specs, and types for my, MY'06 330xi here.

Scroll to the bottom:

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...99&hg=61&fg=30

Anyway once I asked for specifics, she didn't know and I was expecting that since most SAs do not work on the cars themselves. Then she brought over the service manager who was a COMPLETE DICK to me.

I asked him if any parameters are set. He responded with something like this: You CAN'T register the battery yourself. There is NO tool for this. It can ONLY be done with ISTA or whatever the protocol is, here at the dealer. And I asked again in different way: So once you reset it, that's that? There's nothing you have to select or input?

Response: No only BMW sets those specs.

No shit asshole. That's why I'm asking you what they are.....

At that point, I gave my SA a look and she rolled her eyes. I thanked my SA and specifically told the service manager I was not thanking him and that he was of no help.

As I was leaving I was thinking about telling him that HE was the reason why I hate going to dealerships.....I should have.

So I would tell you guys further on what happens when I do the registration, but I am away for a week and my car will be sitting. I don't want to install the new battery for obvious reasons but once I am back I can make a thread showing the process and if any parameters need to be set.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 02:24 PM   #85
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced46 View Post
I didnt realize you are talking about the Bavaraian Technic tool, I thought you were talking about burgers tool my bad. The registration in that seems ok but there are more options in ISTA.

The Service Manager probably doesnt know about the BT tool that is why he said you can only do it in ISTA.

And there are different options when registering a battery. Im fully aware of how it works. When using ISTA and you register a battery its asks either if you are replacing the battery with the same type and capacity, asks if you are retrofitting an AGM, or if you want to change to a different capacity. It will also show how many times the battery was replaced, and at what kilometer reading it was replaced at. This is good for diagnosis in battery/charging issues.

So to answer your question. Yes there is an option to select non AGM or AGM when registering a Batt in ISTA, as far as doing it in the BT tool, Im not sure.
Awesome this is what I was looking for. Thanks!

I understand he may not have known about the tool. That's fine and by all means acceptable. But you should have heard his tone of voice. Unfortunately I cannot describe by typing but my SA caught it and so did my father who wasn't even next to me when I asked. He was paying at the service desk while I was at my SAs desk, about 20 feet apart.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #86
Juiced46
Major
Rep

Quote:
Awesome this is what I was looking for. Thanks!

I understand he may not have known about the tool. That's fine and by all means acceptable. But you should have heard his tone of voice. Unfortunately I cannot describe by typing but my SA caught it and so did my father who wasn't even next to me when I asked. He was paying at the service desk while I was at my SAs desk, about 20 feet apart.
Ive been in the business for a while, so I have a pretty good idea of his tone of voice and exactly how the conversation went lol. You get alot of service managers from time to time who have no clue about cars. Some used to be techs for years and understand, some just dont have a clue and all they know is how to push pencils all day! Some are just cocky assholes.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #87
Thud
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
+1. Sorry to hear that this happened, but don't blame BMW for your mistake. This is not 1998, car designs change. The point is not to make a monopoly on an 'exclusive' battery that you have to get from a BMW dealer; it is a sophisticated electrical system with specific requirements.
A "sophisticated" electrical system should have safeguards that prevent things like exploding batteries.
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #88
Juiced46
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud View Post
A "sophisticated" electrical system should have safeguards that prevent things like exploding batteries.

A battery can explode with nothing hooked to it. Ive seen it happen to a tech @ a dealership I used to work at. He had a brand new OEM battery on the bench and it exploded. No charger hooked to it, nothing. I think in the OPs case that this doesnt have to do with a safeguard. Something went wrong, not vented properly or vented at all, incorrect battery for the vehicle etc.
Appreciate 0