E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Metallic Ticking noise coming from engine?

04-19-2007, 11:25 AM   #309
BavDom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ages944 View Post
^ +1

Six Sigma fans unite, for we are all experiencing the bane of variation.

... my car's been ticking more of late. I'm going in next Wednesday for a couple other things, so they'll take a look at it (hopefully).
agreed. Six sigma all the way
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2007, 05:48 PM   #310
Arrowhead
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

OK, to make the story short...
Back from Fremont BMW. Looks like they don't know their own sh!@#t.
I explained to them that my car starts ticking on last Dec.(1000miles). Until today (2876miles) the engine always ticks in the morning and evening. They said it's just a normal ticking and it's pretty common that engine ticks when it's cold. WTF!

Anyway, I am going to Stevens Creek. Is there any person you guys can refer to me, so he/she knows what i am talking about? And do you guys get loaner or rental if you need to leave the car overnight?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2007, 06:40 PM   #311
flicks28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i; 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
I explained to them that my car starts ticking on last Dec.(1000miles). Until today (2876miles) the engine always ticks in the morning and evening. They said it's just a normal ticking and it's pretty common that engine ticks when it's cold. WTF!

Anyway, I am going to Stevens Creek. Is there any person you guys can refer to me, so he/she knows what i am talking about? And do you guys get loaner or rental if you need to leave the car overnight?
When you hear the ticking, how long does it last?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2007, 09:27 PM   #312
Arrowhead
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flicks28 View Post
When you hear the ticking, how long does it last?
it ticks 10-15 mins...and the ticking speeds up as i give more gas.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2007, 09:29 PM   #313
timber71
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Monaco Blue

I think anyone being questioned by their service department should reference the following article in Automobile Magazine.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews..._four_seasons/

Their description of what was found with their test car is exactly what was found with my car...

"BMW of Ann Arbor diagnosed worn camshafts, lifters, and rocker arms caused by a lubrication failure in the cylinder head. As a result, our car was off the road for five weeks, awaiting further diagnosis and parts from Germany."
      04-19-2007, 09:29 PM   #314
wp326
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Quote:

Fremont BMW is that dumb, huh? Keep us posted when you go to Stevens Creek BMW. My car just hit 1200, I hear absolutely no ticking. makes me start to think that my 330i is within the specs.
So If i start to hear something, that means the camshafts, lifters, and rocker arms are already worn out???
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2007, 10:38 PM   #315
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp326 View Post
Fremont BMW is that dumb, huh? Keep us posted when you go to Stevens Creek BMW. My car just hit 1200, I hear absolutely no ticking. makes me start to think that my 330i is within the specs.
So If i start to hear something, that means the camshafts, lifters, and rocker arms are already worn out???
Not necessarily. When my car was repaired, only the lifters were found to be out of spec. I got my car in right away though (<1wk). In your case, I would make sure that they look at all the parts mentioned.

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2007, 11:26 PM   #316
E90Lurker
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

lifters replaced

just had my lifters replaced all is well .... for now.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 11:36 AM   #317
Arrowhead
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp326 View Post
I guess I will never ever go to Fremont for any service.
They KEEP your car overnight and no loaner or rental for you. How F!@#ked up ther are. And even more f!@##ked up..You need to pay for the rental if you really need a car cuz they only provide cars for their so called "Major service"!!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 11:44 AM   #318
Arrowhead
Private
Rep

So for those ppl went to Stevens Creek BMW, did you get loaner or rental car? any person you guys can refer to me, so he/she knows what i am talking about?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 12:01 PM   #319
flicks28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i; 2006 325i

Quote:
it ticks 10-15 mins...and the ticking speeds up as i give more gas.
Ok, same here. Thats not normal according to my SA. The dealership your at is giving you the run around. And not giving you a rental/loaner car is crazy. In Raleigh, we have 2 BMW dealerships. One is like the one you are going to now, the other which is about 20 miles further, provides loaners/rentals for everything. And only providing for "major service," I guess a $4000+ repair must not be considered major to them.

Time to change.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 11:54 PM   #320
Arrowhead
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flicks28 View Post
Ok, same here. Thats not normal according to my SA. The dealership your at is giving you the run around. And not giving you a rental/loaner car is crazy. In Raleigh, we have 2 BMW dealerships. One is like the one you are going to now, the other which is about 20 miles further, provides loaners/rentals for everything. And only providing for "major service," I guess a $4000+ repair must not be considered major to them.

Time to change.
Oh I forgot to mention that I even showed my sound clip and print out from this thread to them! That's really unacceptable!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 02:21 PM   #321
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep

Ok, well I got my car back this week from the dealership. It was in for its CBS oil change. While there I asked them to run the car at cold idle for 10 mins hoping to trigger the tick. Bottom line, no tick, no investigation. They couldn't hear it, so they can't/won't investigate it. I know this sucks guys, but it seems that all the dealerships are like this. They need to see it for themselves before they'll do anything.

It's not just engine repair either. One of the other things I wanted them to look at was the fact that my door handles were sticking. There's even a TSB out on this subject, stating that sticking handles need to be replaced. However, the dealership couldn't replicate, so no new handles for me (at least not till next winter when they start sticking again, lol).

So, I guess my moral is that if all you have is an engine that ticks intermittently, don't be surprised if you don't get anywhere if they can't hear it while the car's at the shop. However, I do think it's retarded that they seem to stick their head in the sand when you show them a video clip of what's been going on. To me, I would think that one of those should be sufficient to crack the engine open, so I feel for you Arrowhead. I'd be pissed too.

As for me, I think I'll be taking the video step a bit further. I think that I'm going to just take a dated video clip every time I hear the tick the next few times. In this way, I'll build up a record of evidence of sorts for the next time the thing goes in. Maybe that will help persuade them (doubt it, but at least I'll have some tangible documentation of what's been going on).

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 07:35 PM   #322
gary328xi
JetInsp
Rep
Drives: 07 328 XI & 335i

Quote:
Ok, well I got my car back this week from the dealership. It was in for its CBS oil change. While there I asked them to run the car at cold idle for 10 mins hoping to trigger the tick. Bottom line, no tick, no investigation. They couldn't hear it, so they can't/won't investigate it. I know this sucks guys, but it seems that all the dealerships are like this. They need to see it for themselves before they'll do anything.

It's not just engine repair either. One of the other things I wanted them to look at was the fact that my door handles were sticking. There's even a TSB out on this subject, stating that sticking handles need to be replaced. However, the dealership couldn't replicate, so no new handles for me (at least not till next winter when they start sticking again, lol).

So, I guess my moral is that if all you have is an engine that ticks intermittently, don't be surprised if you don't get anywhere if they can't hear it while the car's at the shop. However, I do think it's retarded that they seem to stick their head in the sand when you show them a video clip of what's been going on. To me, I would think that one of those should be sufficient to crack the engine open, so I feel for you Arrowhead. I'd be pissed too.

As for me, I think I'll be taking the video step a bit further. I think that I'm going to just take a dated video clip every time I hear the tick the next few times. In this way, I'll build up a record of evidence of sorts for the next time the thing goes in. Maybe that will help persuade them (doubt it, but at least I'll have some tangible documentation of what's been going on).

Dude i feel for you. Do yourself a favor send and email to BMWNA customer service att:

BMW of NORTH AMERICA
Att; Nina Englert , Manager
BMW PLAZA
MONTVALE, NJ 07645.

201-263-8202

Then call everyday a few times fill her voice mail until she get back to you .I'm sorry but you got to do whatever it takes. They took your money dont let them run now.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 12:25 PM   #323
DanMardik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 INFINITI G37S

I have a 335i Sedan with about 1500 miles. I'm starting to hear this noise at idle only. It's been going on for about 200 miles.
      04-25-2007, 07:22 PM   #324
msinfo_us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335Xi ZSP, ZCW, PDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMardik View Post
I have a 335i Sedan with about 1500 miles. I'm starting to hear this noise at idle only. It's been going on for about 200 miles.
Dan,

I am really sorry to hear that you've got ticking noise in your brand new 335. I am currently driving new (one month old) 335Xi as well and do get ticking noise especially pronounced when car is fully worm and at idle. The funny (not so funny to me but anyway) part that I just replaced a 325 BECAUSE of ticking noise that BMW attempted to repair several times and could not. I guess I am cursed with it. LOL. I was one of the very first ppl to report this problem with 325 (you can find more in this sticky section and listen to my MP3). Here is what I can tell if I try to compare ticking in my old 325 and new 335. The sound is very similar and does point to a lifter problem but there are differences. 335 ticking noise is not as heavy metal-on-metal sound as 325 was and not nearly as loud. Noise gets louder and more pronounced when transmission is engaged in 335 and in 325 that would not make any difference at all. The ticking noise in 325 would not go away if you raise rpm's but does in 335 and does not come back immediately (takes 10-20 seconds when rpm's go back to idle). At the root of 325 ticking noise was not enough of oil pressure so is it safe to assume it is the case with 335 – I don’t know. Since 335 is based on old N54 engine I did some search on it. I’ve seen reports were ppl said ticking noise disappeared after oil change; there are reports that Vanos and/or lifters needed to be recalibrated or replaced. There are reports where ticking noise in N54 led to cam, rocker and etc replacement and long term damage but not as much as 325/330 and not as quickly (usually after warranty was over).
Anyway, I’d be very interested to learn what your dealer said if you are planning to bring it in. It might be helpful to have a video/audio recording of ticking noise when you go for your appointment if you are not sure you can reproduce ticking noise there. Your dealer might try to tell you that this is normal (I’ve heard it many times before). I’d ask him to compare to several randomly chosen 335 and it should become quickly apparent this is not normal. I do not want to jump to any conclusions yet. Here is what I am planning to do:
1. I am going to change oil. The original oil the car came with is designed to help in a break-in process. The oil that BMW comes with is a cocktail (if you search for first oil analyses you'll find all the info and more). So, if you are done with your break-in it is a really good idea to do it regardless.
2. If step 1 does not work. I'll bring it to the dealer than depends on what they say I'll have them fix it or take my car to independent BMW tech with good reputation.

Could you tell me if ticking noise I described here is the same with what you have? My car has 1600 miles on it and I started to hear ticking noise after first couple hundred miles. I hope this helps and let’s see if by working together we are going to be able to find some answers.
      04-25-2007, 10:37 PM   #325
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep

great, so much for one of my con-artist reasons to convince the fiance to let me get a 335i...

seriously though, sucks to hear about your problems. On the other hand, it does point to the lifters more directly as being the problem, and less to an inherent design flaw, no? As such, it might be something like a supplier issue, and hence quite a bit simpler to solve than having to redesign. Here's hoping at any rate.

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 10:59 PM   #326
Arrowhead
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msinfo_us View Post
Dan,

I am really sorry to hear that you've got ticking noise in your brand new 335. I am currently driving new (one month old) 335Xi as well and do get ticking noise especially pronounced when car is fully worm and at idle.
OMFG..what's wrong with BMW! I would be so pissed off if I were you, msinfo_us. I can't believe even 335 has this engine crap. So what...they are all made in China now?!:mad:
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 11:04 PM   #327
msinfo_us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
great, so much for one of my con-artist reasons to convince the fiance to let me get a 335i...

seriously though, sucks to hear about your problems. On the other hand, it does point to the lifters more directly as being the problem, and less to an inherent design flaw, no? As such, it might be something like a supplier issue, and hence quite a bit simpler to solve than having to redesign. Here's hoping at any rate.
I think it is VERY possible but I am not sure. While there are many similarities in ticking noise between 325 and 335 they are not the same. It is not easy to explain but 335 sounds much softer and does not have this metal bending quality to it like 325 did. This sound does not make me as concerned as 325 ticking did. When I get a chance I’ll do a sound clip of 335 so you can hear it too.
      04-25-2007, 11:12 PM   #328
msinfo_us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OMFG..what's wrong with BMW! I would be so pissed off if I were you, msinfo_us. I can't believe even 335 has this engine crap. So what...they are all made in China now?!:mad:
Well .. there are only few choices - cry and drive yourself mad or enjoy the new car and trust that if problem gets worse your dealer will work with you to make it right (my dealer did it once and I have faith will do it again if it comes down to it). I chose the latter. May be three time is a charm? LOL
      04-26-2007, 01:02 AM   #329
Arrowhead
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msinfo_us View Post
Well .. there are only few choices - cry and drive yourself mad or enjoy the new car and trust that if problem gets worse your dealer will work with you to make it right (my dealer did it once and I have faith will do it again if it comes down to it). I chose the latter. May be three time is a charm? LOL
You are right..at least you have a good dealer is willing to take care of your car. Hope it's not a big deal; otherwise, M3 is the next?

OK, back to the topic. I notice my car stops ticking now (3038 miles) since Monday. It's been ticking since last Dec. and all of a sudden it stops!! I dunno if I should feel happy about it. Maybe I will observe it for few more days be4 my next appointment.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2007, 03:54 PM   #330
Scarabeo
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: E90

I have 44,000 miles on my E90 (325) and no ticking - after reading the thread it seems that the lifter noise usually starts before 5000 miles...my guess is that if you make it past 20,000 miles or more this will never become an issue...
Appreciate 0