E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335i tuned intercooler or oil cooler

03-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
Giakou
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

335i tuned intercooler or oil cooler

Hello everyone,

I have E92 335 tuned, with 380hp and 57kg torque.
Although the weather, here in Greece, is not always cold
and after the March, temperature is very high

I believe, maybe i need, something to freeze my ''undercover
machine'' but i dont know, what is good for my car

Intercooler or oil cooler ?? and which company can i trust
I dont know anything about after market

Opinions please

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

What year is your car? Depending on the year it may have a factory oil cooler, which while not optimal, is usually sufficient if you’re not tracking the car routinely. The intercooler sucks on all N54s, so I’d highly recommend you upgrade that to avoid heatsoak and reduce the overall thermal load on the motor. Please search around for specific brands, there is an enormous amount of information at your fingertips if you peek around the forum for a little bit.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
Giakou
Rep

2007 Model my friend
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Evolution Racewerks offers a nice oil cooler upgrade and Intercooler by no accident. Very high quality pieces. We ship international too.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
Giakou
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Evolution Racewerks offers a nice oil cooler upgrade and Intercooler by no accident. Very high quality pieces. We ship international too.
and the prices in euros my friend ??
quarante for their products ?

P.S Sorry but i dont know how to search those things
and how i can take them
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giakou View Post

and how i can take them
IT's against forum policy to post pricing here.

I've sent you a PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

and how i can take them
07s do NOT have OE oil coolers, so for you the oil cooler is a much stronger option. For cars with them, the intercooler is the far weaker OE part in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
IT's against forum policy to post pricing here.

I've sent you a PM.
OP Jeff is superb, he'll steer you in the right direction

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
ManoB1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

yiasou malaka....pou stin ellada eise....ama then xereis tipota....prota diavase ta forums etho kai tha matheis pola. ama thes boithia apo mena arotise me kai tha sou po tosa pou xero.....eyo bali intercooler kai oil cooler sto autokioto mou....an then exeis oil cooler na pareis auto prota an then exeis ena. to intercooler tha sou thosei kalo kouraio, but eine zesta stein elada kai thaxies problemata me heat soak....yiasou file....eyo eime apo tin xios....eseis apo pou eisaste
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
Giakou
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoB1 View Post
yiasou malaka....pou stin ellada eise....ama then xereis tipota....prota diavase ta forums etho kai tha matheis pola. ama thes boithia apo mena arotise me kai tha sou po tosa pou xero.....eyo bali intercooler kai oil cooler sto autokioto mou....an then exeis oil cooler na pareis auto prota an then exeis ena. to intercooler tha sou thosei kalo kouraio, but eine zesta stein elada kai thaxies problemata me heat soak....yiasou file....eyo eime apo tin xios....eseis apo pou eisaste
na ypothesw ta ellinika sou logw ksenitias einai spasta gt to sidaktiko
sou bazei apo pantou .. to malaka to eklamvanw san filiko
kai elpizw to idio na ennoeis kai sy ... apo thessaloniki eimai alla sta
ellinika forums o enas leei to makry kai to konto tou kai akri dn bgazw

For the others ...
No i dont have oil cooler but someone told that if i take a water cooler
like 1M the car is going better than the oil cooler ...

What do you think about that ??

P.S
Sorry for the greeklish before, mano is greek
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #10
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
na ypothesw ta ellinika sou logw ksenitias einai spasta gt to sidaktiko
sou bazei apo pantou .. to malaka to eklamvanw san filiko
kai elpizw to idio na ennoeis kai sy ... apo thessaloniki eimai alla sta
ellinika forums o enas leei to makry kai to konto tou kai akri dn bgazw

For the others ...
No i dont have oil cooler but someone told that if i take a water cooler
like 1M the car is going better than the oil cooler ...

What do you think about that ??

P.S
Sorry for the greeklish before, mano is greek
Not having an oil cooler changes things IMO, the OE intercooler is garbage, but at least it’s there and nominally works. Without an oil cooler your temps are going to get absolutely smoking under aggressive driving and/or in the heat. TBH your car would greatly benefit from an oil cooler and an intercooler, maybe PM one of the vendors and see if they can work out a package deal? FWIW the OE oil cooler isn’t half bad, for cars that don’t live in the desert and aren’t constantly tracked, it’s more or less sufficient. I’ve never tracked my car, but it was a scorcher here last summer (plenty days with highs over 95F), and I don’t recall my oil temps ever exceeding 260 which was under very aggressive driving. If you want your car to be running optimally, you should budget to replace the OE intercooler, and install an oil cooler. Long-term your motor will thank you for it.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #11
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Not having an oil cooler changes things IMO, the OE intercooler is garbage, but at least it’s there and nominally works. Without an oil cooler your temps are going to get absolutely smoking under aggressive driving and/or in the heat. TBH your car would greatly benefit from an oil cooler and an intercooler, maybe PM one of the vendors and see if they can work out a package deal? FWIW the OE oil cooler isn’t half bad, for cars that don’t live in the desert and aren’t constantly tracked, it’s more or less sufficient. I’ve never tracked my car, but it was a scorcher here last summer (plenty days with highs over 95F), and I don’t recall my oil temps ever exceeding 260 which was under very aggressive driving. If you want your car to be running optimally, you should budget to replace the OE intercooler, and install an oil cooler. Long-term your motor will thank you for it.
Ehh no oil cooler isn't as bad as you guys think... Last summer on just JB4 even when running E85 and driving aggressive I didn't see temps above 250. Now i'm FBO so that might change and I might need an oil cooler this summer. Today it was 70 degrees and I was beating on the car on the way home pretty hard and it just barely touched 250.
More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #12
P Casey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
07s do NOT have OE oil coolers, so for you the oil cooler is a much stronger option.
Are you sure about that? I know of 3 or 4 people with 07's with the stock OC.
      04-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #13
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95 View Post
Ehh no oil cooler isn't as bad as you guys think... Last summer on just JB4 even when running E85 and driving aggressive I didn't see temps above 250. Now i'm FBO so that might change and I might need an oil cooler this summer. Today it was 70 degrees and I was beating on the car on the way home pretty hard and it just barely touched 250.
In CT maybe it’s not a huge issue, but once you get farther south or west IMO it’s a pretty solid investment for motor longevity. You’re probably right-at 70 deg it’s not a huge deal, but at 100 deg it’s a different story. My friend’s 07 w/out an oil cooler would limp after a few minutes of hard driving in the summer, and it only got worse when he moved to Tampa. Perhaps an intercooler is the better choice, but personally I’d be doing both upgrades if it were my car. But I won’t pretend to know the climate in Greece, and in CT it could be a non-issue for you.

Edit: You’re FBO, I’d really get an oil cooler when possible. If only for peace of mind….your car is putting off significantly more heat from the turbos and block than an out of the box N54, assuming you’re boosting in the “normal” FBO range.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #14
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

éla tó̱ra, na agorásei kai ta dýo kai na gínei.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #15
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

Quote:
In CT maybe it’s not a huge issue, but once you get farther south or west IMO it’s a pretty solid investment for motor longevity. You’re probably right-at 70 deg it’s not a huge deal, but at 100 deg it’s a different story. My friend’s 07 w/out an oil cooler would limp after a few minutes of hard driving in the summer, and it only got worse when he moved to Tampa. Perhaps an intercooler is the better choice, but personally I’d be doing both upgrades if it were my car. But I won’t pretend to know the climate in Greece, and in CT it could be a non-issue for you.

Edit: You’re FBO, I’d really get an oil cooler when possible. If only for peace of mind….your car is putting off significantly more heat from the turbos and block than an out of the box N54, assuming you’re boosting in the “normal” FBO range.
I know oil cooler is on my list of things to do just so much $$$... I boost 14.5 on 93 and then usually 17-18 on e85
More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ
Appreciate 0