E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Recall: Battery Cable Connector for BMW 1 Series (E8X), 3 Series (E9X), Z4 (E89)

04-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #375
PsychoSlug
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Took mine in this week with no problems. They gave me a nicely loaded hybrid-3 sport line for a loaner. Pretty sweet. I wasn't initially a fan of the F30 slant-nosed exterior or interior with that i-Pad looking iDrive. It's growing on me and looked good in silver on black with red stitching. Fast! The new iDrive was beautiful. I think I liked the heads up display the most. I didn't think that would be a big deal, but it is seriously cool. The e-steering is a turn off. The hybrid handles a bit like a boat, too. I liked it, but it felt good to be back in my E90 at the end of the day.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #376
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpratt34 View Post
Took mine in this week with no problems. They gave me a nicely loaded hybrid-3 sport line for a loaner. Pretty sweet. I wasn't initially a fan of the F30 slant-nosed exterior or interior with that i-Pad looking iDrive. It's growing on me and looked good in silver on black with red stitching. Fast! The new iDrive was beautiful. I think I liked the heads up display the most. I didn't think that would be a big deal, but it is seriously cool. The e-steering is a turn off. The hybrid handles a bit like a boat, too. I liked it, but it felt good to be back in my E90 at the end of the day.
My friend's dad, now that my friend's out of college and all is right in the world, finally treated himself to a nice full-size luxury car. He was leaning mercedes but ended up with a 528i which had the HUD. We're both super jealous.

The funniest part is, he's ultra non-technical and thinks iDrive is the most cumbersome cruft in the world. Doesn't even use the HUD.
      04-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #377
ez_2get
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i e90 - 2015 X3 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez_2get View Post
Can someone chime in if this positive battery cable issue can actually cause fire? Any links floating around? I received the recall letter from BMW 2 days back, and i am trying to see if this recall was the cause of the FIRE that engulf my car this January. That's right. My car is now gone due to fire.

Here's the story. Had my battery replaced by my dealership on Oct, 2012. BMW tech told me (and it was on the printed report as well) that there was an error on the ISTA test (abnormal current draw) when he placed the brand new battery. Tech advised me to observe if the new battery will become weak and if it does, that I have to return the car to them so they can diagnose further.

Suffice to say, no signs of the new battery getting weak. Car is used everyday for mostly short commute (w/ a few trips over to US). Car caught fire on January, 2013 (roughly 2.5 mos after new battery was installed) after about 5 minutes after I left my driveway early in the AM. I was driving when I smelled something burning. Few minutes thereafter, I saw fire coming out of the top of the right rear passenger seat, by the pillar. Below that is where the battery is placed. I pulled over, stop the engine, and tried to put the flame out, but to no avail.

So, firemen came to the rescue. RCMP (local police) investigated. ICBC (insurance) called me after few days saying the investigation showed that the fire started from the battery compartment at the back, most likely caused by battery paraphernalia failure (or something to that effect).

Insurance (ICBC) did their part, but due to other losses not paid for by ICBC though purchase receipts were provided by me (dashcam, new tire and geomet slotted/drilled rotors w/ red pads all replaced Dec, 2012, etc.) and the fact it subjected myself to danger (plus anxiety, etc. etc.), I contacted my dealership's service manager to see what they can do re losses not paid for by ICBC.

After a few email exchanges, the expected push-back was exercised by the service manager, and he said:

"I have reviewed your work order when the battery was replaced. The power management fault that was stored is usually caused by a weak battery or a possible problem from the charging system or control unit. There is no possibility of this causing a fire or anything close to this. The worst that would happen is the car wouldn’t start."

Now since I got this recall letter re Power Supply System, would you guys think this will give me leverage to push my cause? What are my chances?

04-07-2013, 01:10 AM   #378
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

My SA specifically mentioned fire to me, and the failure mode could under the right circumstances cause a fire. But if anything, it'd have started in the junction box around the passenger footwell. And I'm not sure that there are any actual reports of fire due to this. So unfortunately, I think it's likely unrelated.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #379
ez_2get
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i e90 - 2015 X3 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
My SA specifically mentioned fire to me, and the failure mode could under the right circumstances cause a fire. But if anything, it'd have started in the junction box around the passenger footwell. And I'm not sure that there are any actual reports of fire due to this. So unfortunately, I think it's likely unrelated.
I'm not too sure too if this recall caused the fire. This link however, indicates that in extreme situations, "smoldering trunk mat" can result ((http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2012...ry-cable-flaw/).. The fusebox in front would've remained unaffected.
      04-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #380
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez_2get View Post
I'm not too sure too if this recall caused the fire. This link however, indicates that in extreme situations, "smoldering trunk mat" can result ((http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2012...ry-cable-flaw/).. The fusebox in front would've remained unaffected.
Broken link.

Edit: assuming you mean http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2012...ry-cable-flaw/, I think that's a totally different recall.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #381
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90, 2011 E90

I have a 2007 328i. Not sure when it was manufactured. I'm in Canada and I'm not the original owner. Just heard about this just now. Would I be getting a letter or would they be sending them to the original owner?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 01:47 AM   #382
shata
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT-ZPP/ZSP/ZCW

I really think they need to extend this to 06 330i's also cause I just had mine replaced due to airbag seat belt lights. If that were to happen right before accident...Yes I know thats far fetch but still that could put someone's life in danger also.

Both the explosive disconnect and positive battery cable were replaced at fee of 680$.
      04-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #383
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

I'm Canadian and just got the letter, mind you it may have been in my mailbox for weeks as I never check it. Called up my SA to take it in, they said they would replace about 8 inches of cable coming off the positive battery terminal. 3 hours in and out. Appt is for this Friday.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #384
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi

Got my letter quite some time ago.. dealership had to special order the cable still
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #385
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Scary stuff here so I am beginning to think this might be an issue for 08 I have. Pulled up to stoplight and car begins to stumble, RPM fluctuates between 300 and 400. Car starts shaking left and right like I had hydraulics installed. I thought it was about to stall so I tapped accelerator lightly. RPM goes up to 1000 then car just shut off completely showing all kinds of exclamation points in the dash. (I panicked a lil) Then took out of D and proceeded to start. Didnt budge. Then tried again. it fired up like normal.

Now I'm wondering if this issue with battery cable is a related problem?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #386
BOBKUR
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E 90

Just got mine back and not able to set clock it goes back to all zero's after turning off and have hoist showing on dash, will take it back, these idiots can't even wipe their asses.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 10:47 PM   #387
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
Scary stuff here so I am beginning to think this might be an issue for 08 I have. Pulled up to stoplight and car begins to stumble, RPM fluctuates between 300 and 400. Car starts shaking left and right like I had hydraulics installed. I thought it was about to stall so I tapped accelerator lightly. RPM goes up to 1000 then car just shut off completely showing all kinds of exclamation points in the dash. (I panicked a lil) Then took out of D and proceeded to start. Didnt budge. Then tried again. it fired up like normal.

Now I'm wondering if this issue with battery cable is a related problem?
Possibly, the recall letter says it can cause momentary engine failure (less than 1 second) & flickering of the dash lights. I don't think it would be the only cause though because it's probably more likely to kill all the systems at once.

Also, just had mine done today, anyone happen to know exactly what interior panels need to come out? I found a screw on one of the rear floor mats...

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 11:02 PM   #388
yarviinn
Captain
Rep
Drives: E9TT3

Just got a notice for the recall today.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 12:12 AM   #389
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBKUR View Post
Just got mine back and not able to set clock it goes back to all zero's after turning off and have hoist showing on dash, will take it back, these idiots can't even wipe their asses.
Great... looking forward to this.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #390
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by elratrero69 View Post
How many cables are there for this, my SA showed me a part number of the recall and thats why im not going to get my refund. The part number he showed me was $32. I payed alot more.

I had part numbers 61-14-9-119-447 & 61-12-9-269-907 replaced isnt this the recall?
I went through the same thing: payed ~$2000 out of pocket before the recall back in 2011 for the full cable replacement. I just called the service manager and explained the situation - I'm going in next Thursday for the recall. He made it sound like I'll get my money back, but now you have me pretty scared...

I want my damn money back
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #391
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
I went through the same thing: payed ~$2000 out of pocket before the recall back in 2011 for the full cable replacement. I just called the service manager and explained the situation - I'm going in next Thursday for the recall. He made it sound like I'll get my money back, but now you have me pretty scared...

I want my damn money back
I would assume you are def getting your money back if the work was done by the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #392
Popsrcr
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

First time its nice to say....my 07 335 did not need the recall! Woo hoo!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #393
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popsrcr
First time its nice to say....my 07 335 did not need the recall! Woo hoo!
Really? I have a 2007 335i and got a recall letter but am not in any hurry to get this done.
      04-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #394
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

Quote:
Hey BOBKUR - Are you on your original battery? Let me know either in thread or PM what the dealer tells you. I just went through this and no matter what I did it would not hold the date/time. I went back within 3 hours of leaving, and I drove the car off the lot with the error on the time --:--, they then tried to tell me my battery voltage was f'd and I needed to pay for a new battery.

5 days later they met me 1/2 way on the cost of the battery, but it took a lot of talking to the SA on my part.
      04-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #395
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 328i

Quote:
will take it back, these idiots can't even wipe their asses.
Unfortunately, that has been my experience with BMW service too. I've taken my car to two different dealers and each has introduced new problems while trying to fix reported issues.

I just got my recall letter last night and am contemplating if I should take it back to last dealer I went to or try another (dealer #3).
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #396
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_milo View Post
Unfortunately, that has been my experience with BMW service too. I've taken my car to two different dealers and each has introduced new problems while trying to fix reported issues.

I just got my recall letter last night and am contemplating if I should take it back to last dealer I went to or try another (dealer #3).
I will be going to a different one from now on. I work in customer service and repair for a living. I advise customers all day long.

I would not be caught dead giving the non-answers and pushback to a customer who came in for one thing and left with other problems (like I did) that I was given. No I'm not the original owner of a vehicle that was serviced at their dealership for it's entire 46K mile life, but I still am a BMW owner, I have CPO warranty on the car, and I have personally kept the vehicle in mint condition as I purchased it in such a way.

I would never expect problems after a recall repair but I had them, as did others, with the same part. Hence I will be visiting another dealership next time I need anything from a dealership that would be covered under CPO. But mostly, Indy FTW.