E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > exhaust blockage?

09-17-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
bjc1973
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: space grey e92 335d

exhaust blockage?

had the dpf fault come up on my dash(335d)car felt slightly down on power but not too noticeable.put code reader on car and it came up with quite a few faults,all glow plugs and back pressure sensor to name a few.my pal at the garage said to start by testing glow plugs and glow relay.then move onto other issues and possibly force regen.
dropped the car off a few days later at pals house and when he was taking it up to his garage the car lost alot of power like in limp mode then he said big clouds of smoke came out from the exhaust then it cleared and car revved as normal with power back.but on the floor behind he could see what he described as fibre wool type stuff on the floor(like the sound deadening stuff in exhaust)glowing red like on fire.he drove the car to his garage and car drove well with full power.
he then tested glow plugs which were fine and glow relay was found to be knackered,i know this would stop a re gen.
so glow relay was changed and codes cleared.taken for a drive and re tested for faults.the code reader showed no faults and car drove well.temperature on a run hit 93 degrees,so stats ok.car has now been driven about 100 miles with no power loss and no codes.hopefully issues resolved but my question is what came out of the exhaust and was it this that was causing a blockage and maybe showing dpf fault.
Appreciate 0