E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Are iDrive and Nav map updates included in maintenance?

12-07-2008, 04:03 AM   #1
Tennberg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i w/ xDrive

Garage List
Are iDrive and Nav map updates included in maintenance?

I have an '09 E80 335i with iDrive and Nav. I noticed that I am running the latest version (1.2.8, PREMIUM 2009-1).

I was wondering, does BMW provide free updates to iDrive and/or the Nav maps as part of maintenance or service bulletins? If PREMIUM 2009-2 comes out, can I bring it in to my dealer and get it updated at no cost?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 07:49 AM   #2
emarkd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Interesting question. I don't really know the answer, but I know that my dealership doesn't replace my DVD with the newest version when they service it.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
nyc3r
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Of course not..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
SoCalTech
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW yet...

Updates are only done as part of a repair. If you have a control module replaced, or have a concern that is fixed with programming, we will update the software. If one of these reasons doesn't exist, you can pay to update the software.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 12:36 PM   #5
rob72
/dev/random
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTech View Post
Updates are only done as part of a repair. If you have a control module replaced, or have a concern that is fixed with programming, we will update the software. If one of these reasons doesn't exist, you can pay to update the software.
iDrive updates are only done if their is a specific problem, or if you can convince them of it. Paying for it might indeed work.

Map updates are totally different. You always pay for it, and I seriously doubt that changes with the CIC system.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
SoCalTech
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW yet...

2009 E90 now have the maps stored in the hard drive, not on a separate disc. I guess I'll have to double check the training manual, but I can't see why it wouldn't be included in the programming update.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 05:55 AM   #7
rob72
/dev/random
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTech View Post
2009 E90 now have the maps stored in the hard drive, not on a separate disc. I guess I'll have to double check the training manual, but I can't see why it wouldn't be included in the programming update.
If map updates could be gotten this easily I am sure BMW would have advertised it. Also reading some of the BMW technical documentation that has been floating around on the Internet it is clear that a Map update DVD *could* still be made available, which I hope they will as I do not see how else I can put my own POI files on the system.

It would be nice if you could just upload your own POI files by putting them in one of the common formats and put them on a USB stick and upload them to the system. But that is probably just wishful thinking.

Can you imagine the rush of customers at the dealers twice a year if the map updates where made available for free and required the dealer to upload them?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 07:11 AM   #8
nyc3r
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob72 View Post
If map updates could be gotten this easily I am sure BMW would have advertised it. Also reading some of the BMW technical documentation that has been floating around on the Internet it is clear that a Map update DVD *could* still be made available, which I hope they will as I do not see how else I can put my own POI files on the system.

It would be nice if you could just upload your own POI files by putting them in one of the common formats and put them on a USB stick and upload them to the system. But that is probably just wishful thinking.

Can you imagine the rush of customers at the dealers twice a year if the map updates where made available for free and required the dealer to upload them?
don't worry.. map updates will not be free..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 01:52 PM   #9
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
I could see a free map update (to the latest the dealership had) if the hard drive failed and had to be replaced. Beyond that I'd expect to be paying.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0