E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Classifieds Section > BMW 335i M Sport Touring - 396bhp - AP Racing brakes & Quaiffe LSD

03-05-2014, 05:16 AM   #23
Nobber
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 'That' 335i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by c20let View Post
Having owned a 335i manual also, I actually prefer the auto in the E91. It's a great gearbox. I like the option of having the choice of fully auto or being able to use the steering wheel paddles.
Personal preference though, I wasn't sure about the auto before I viewed this car. But I absolutely loved it with the auto.
For those that haven't driven the auto in these cars, I wouldn't write it off until you've tried it.
I second this. I was 100% against the Auto until i actually drove one. I searched for 6 months for a manual with the other options/spec I wanted and nothing came up. When my current car came up for sale with everything else I wanted apart from it being an auto, I just had to go and try it.

To my amazement it was simply brilliant. You get the best of both worlds in my opinion as sometimes I just leave it in D (sat in traffic) but most of the time, I flip it over to DS, pull a paddle and BOOM, bring the noise!!

Two things to think about with the Auto though -

1. The push/pull paddles are (again in my opinion) shit. I'd much prefer a left = down, right = up setup that you get on the LCi or M3, which will be a mod happening very soon on mine.

2. Get makkan00 to do the Alpina Flash Upgrade on it and you'll probably never go back to a manual!!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 11:39 AM   #24
Z3man
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: E91 320D SE Auto (LCI)

How do the paddles work on pre LCI cars?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #25
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3man View Post
How do the paddles work on pre LCI cars?
Pull for up, push for down. Both paddles do the same (unlike M3, where left is down and right I'd up!)

Matt
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 01:06 PM   #26
Z3man
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Thanks Matt, i can see why they changed it on the LCI cars.

I will be in the market for an E91 once i sell my X3, i am thinking about buying an auto for the very first time, and having one paddle for up and one for down seems more logical, although i have never actually driven either.

I was thinking about the OP's car but it is so powerful and had so much done to it it frightens me. if anything ever went wrong i wouldn't have a clue where to get it repaired, or even be able to explain about all the mods its had done as I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to modding. I would imagine the insurance would be sky high as well.

Last edited by Z3man; 03-05-2014 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 01:16 PM   #27
Dirty Tool
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:

I will be in the market for an E91 once i sell my X3, i am thinking about buying an auto for the very first time, and having one paddle for up and one for down seems more logical, although i have never actually driven either.

I was thinking about the OP's car but it is so powerful and had so much done to it it frightens me. if anything ever went wrong i wouldn't have a clue where to get it repaired, or even be able to explain about all the mods its had done as I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to modding. I would imagine the insurance would be sky high as well.

stop being a little girl and buy the car
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 01:29 PM   #28
Z3man
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

I would need to be a rich little girl, i have just seen how much i costs to tax one of these
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 03:15 AM   #29
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

If it helps mate, I can say that I've experienced long term ownership of cars with both configurations and I think the both-paddles-do-the-same-thing approach actually works better.

The push/pull motion actually feels more like the traditional connection to a gearstick to me and it becomes very easy to operate through simple muscle memory. Another benefit is that regardless of the orientation of the wheel, you can use either paddle to down/upshift - granted that's rarely wise in the middle of a corner, but a downshift with the wheel at 45 degrees might often make sense when pressing on through a corner.

My advice is to try it and see how you feel. I genuinely do prefer it this way, but it's a personal/subjective choice of course.

Rgds
Matt
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 05:42 AM   #30
jimborae
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 335i M-Sport LCI Manual

If only you were down South and the car had a black interior! (I have kids) GLWS

Last edited by jimborae; 03-10-2014 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 01:22 AM   #31
c20let
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborae View Post
If only you were down South and the car had a black interior! (I have kids) GLWS
I have a young son, and my car is almost entirely just used for driving him about. Never had a single problem with the light interior. It was a bonus for me when buying the car originally, I prefer cream or red leather to the normal black.

I'm only a plane journey away. I flew down to Heathrow to get to Maidenhead to collect the car. I usually buy my cars down south. Means I get a good enjoyable drive home too.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 08:09 AM   #32
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I have a young son, and my car is almost entirely just used for driving him about. Never had a single problem with the light interior. It was a bonus for me when buying the car originally, I prefer cream or red leather to the normal black.

I'm only a plane journey away. I flew down to Heathrow to get to Maidenhead to collect the car. I usually buy my cars down south. Means I get a good enjoyable drive home too.
Hi mate,

I don't suppose you've had any further thoughts about splitting the brakes have you? Sorry to seem pushy, but I am just making a decision about wether or not to buy some standard front brake disks!!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 12:28 PM   #33
c20let
Private
Rep

Hi, I think I will keep the car as it is for now.
I wouldn't want to stick on standard brakes and still be left with the car. If I do end up keeping the car for a while I'd rather have the APs on it.

I think the only way I'd probably consider splitting bits would be if someone wanted to do a deal on the car minus some of the expensive parts.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 01:26 PM   #34
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi, I think I will keep the car as it is for now.
I wouldn't want to stick on standard brakes and still be left with the car. If I do end up keeping the car for a while I'd rather have the APs on it.

I think the only way I'd probably consider splitting bits would be if someone wanted to do a deal on the car minus some of the expensive parts.

Thanks.
No problem mate. Please bear me in mind if you change your mind. I'll more than likely still have cash waiting and be interested.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 01:44 AM   #35
c20let
Private
Rep

Plenty of interest, just need a viewing for the car.

Now on ebay,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1112980381...84.m1555.l2649
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 03:07 PM   #36
c20let
Private
Rep

Now on Autotrader too.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 05:03 AM   #37
c20let
Private
Rep

Last edited by c20let; 04-14-2014 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 05:33 AM   #38
Mukaram
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i SE Touring

Whoever buys this will IMO be a very lucky chappy/chapess!!!
well worth the price and looks gorgeous
GLWS
Mukaram
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #39
c20let
Private
Rep

Thanks Mukaram.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #40
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Broken record and all that, but you could still... ;-)

Matt
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 05:12 AM   #41
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Personally this is a car with a very narrow market. You might be best selling the bits or maybe talking to Birds?

£14k for a 7 year old estate is a lot to swallow when newer cars go for 10-11k with only a few more miles. The diff and the brakes are the best upgrades on there and the ones I'd say add the best value. The downpipes can be problematic for MOT and also with so many mods insurance is also a problem for a lot of people. The FMIC is nice, but not really required for non track. Remap won't give you a huge value increase since JB4's go for £350-400 all the time.

You may be waiting a while with this one simply because to get that price someone has to want all of the things on the car for them to have any value. If you can split the parts and get a return on them it may be worth doing so, assuming you have stock components you can put back on the car that is.

Good luck though, hopefully the buyer is out there. There are usually a few people a year that pop up looking for this kind of setup on the forum!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 05:28 PM   #42
scaryprowler
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
If it helps mate, I can say that I've experienced long term ownership of cars with both configurations and I think the both-paddles-do-the-same-thing approach actually works better.

The push/pull motion actually feels more like the traditional connection to a gearstick to me and it becomes very easy to operate through simple muscle memory. Another benefit is that regardless of the orientation of the wheel, you can use either paddle to down/upshift - granted that's rarely wise in the middle of a corner, but a downshift with the wheel at 45 degrees might often make sense when pressing on through a corner.

My advice is to try it and see how you feel. I genuinely do prefer it this way, but it's a personal/subjective choice of course.

Rgds
Matt
Me too. Another example is when driving with one hand on the wheel (no, not using phone)
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 07:07 AM   #43
c20let
Private
Rep

Deposit taken.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 04:40 PM   #44
c20let
Private
Rep