E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335i HEATSOAKED.....NEED HELP

07-18-2009, 05:26 AM   #45
maui86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

i find this all interesting...i have no oil cooler, yet i have never seen temps go above 260, stock or tuned... maybe i'll try longer periods of time to see.. intake air temps hit 150*F too :-( helix shall be in my car in the near future

teri

gotta do what i gotta do to get them donuts
04 spec-v: rip dec07
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 09:18 AM   #46
BavarianBullet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Nice Try? Perhaps you don't understand.

Yes, an engine 15psi tune generates more heat quickly than the it can dissipate in warm conditions and especially without an oil cooler. That is not the debate. And saying the DME is "smarter" than the JB3 or PROcede has nothing to do with it.

The point is to keep the engine from running that hot in the first place. NOT to rely on it to dial back boost when things get too hot. Because you know as well as I do, that the JB3 is still asking for X% more boost, regardless of it being a reduced boost target or not. So while the DME is thinking that it dropped boost from 8.5psi down to say 6psi, the JB3 is still inducing X% more (~12psi). Which, while lower than 15psi, is pretty nasty when coupled with 260F+ degree oil temps.

If the JB3 could actually read oil temperature, it could prevent this problem in the first place and bringing boost down to stock levels proactively when the engine gets approaches dangerous temps. And then go a step further by dropping boost back to stock levels before the ECU beings its own boost dropping safety strategies.

Shiv
I don't want to put words into Terry's mouth as I don't have detailed info on how the JB3 works (beyond what is posted in forums) but my understanding of JB3 operating is:
1) When DME commanded boost target is say 1-5psi (cold engine usually), the JB3 doesn't adjust boost upwards and potentially overwork the turbos.
2) When the DME command 6-8 psi, the JB3 uses a multiplier to hit the map target of 12-15psi etc.

From here I'm guessing that if the DME boost target is 5psi or less AND the AIT is high (overheating engine & HS intercooler), the JB3 probably is stock boost or very close to it. Only testing would reveal if this were true.

So to that end, your second to last paragraph is inaccurate as the JB3 should back off it's adjustments once the stock DME starts dropping it's targets below some level. That is the difference between a simple resistor on the TMAP to raise boost vs a microcontroller-controlled device with programmable logic and multiple inputs (JB3 and procede).

But the more important point is that engines aren't blowing up- Terry's direction seems to be "mess with the factory algorithms and controls as little as possible" while your procede always took a different approach with more direct control (direct wastegate solenoid control etc). So what you may see as a "need" because of the way you designed the procede isn't necessary for a JB3 that relies more on the DME to do what it does best. The DME is a looking at a lot more things than just oil temp.

I'm not knocking the procede(haltech), I think it's got some great features because of what it is and you've done some nice things with it without driving up the price excessively. But my JB3 works just fine thanks. No codes, no blown engines (fuel pump doesn't count!) and it does what I want it to do.
Appreciate 0