E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > SA Says You Shouldn't Mix Oils

02-16-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
DigitalDawn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335 E93

SA Says You Shouldn't Mix Oils

Just brought my 2010 335 in for the HPFP and injector recall.

Was talking with a new SA, and he asked me why I hadn't brought in my 335 in for an oil change. I told him that I had been having the oil changed elsewhere. He asked which oil I used last and I told him Penzoil Ultra Euro, which is formulated for use with BMW vehicles.

He then tells me that I shouldn't mix oils. Having had Castrol in the car before and then using a different brand is bad for the engine.

Sounds like a load of crap to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
Nedim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Those SA's dont know shit. Whenever I go, I feel more knowledgable
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
your SA is a funny guy
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
lpphreakx06
Professional Moose Racer
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: SG 335i E92 RIP + 2015 SS M3

SA's are basically elaborate salesmen.

BMW Dream Team PNW Chapter, member #1
|HP Autowerks | AR DESIGN | BMW PERFORMANCE | STOP TECH | Volk Racing| AMS | ARKYM
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #5
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
That's why I don't go to the dealer.....
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

I hate dealing with some BS sales
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
ianthegreat
Colonel
Rep
Drives: n54

At the same weight, you can literally mix oils. I don't rec it because of specific formulas, but on some of our old pickups on the ranch... no oil goes to waste. These trucks have 200k+.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 01:15 PM   #8
malter2.0
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: em-funf

Garage List
No.

Your SA is CORRECT to tell you that mixing the oil is not good, but what needs to be clarified is that IN GENERAL you shouldn't mix synthetic with non-synthetics. From his perspective he doesn't know what oil you use, so it might as well be $1.50 oil for all his knows. As being part of the BMW business he is required to be conservative. Quite normal. After all, these people fix your car for free under warranty and they want to make sure you do things their way...the way it was designed from factory. Wouldn't you do the same if you sold cars and had to warranty them?

Also, Castrol has been BMW's oil provider for like last 40 years. I would venture to say that you are safer using Castrol synthetic over any other synthetic. In fact, BMW is so serious about Castrol oil that all /// models in their tri-color badging carry one of the Castrol colors to honor their oil provider.

Whatever oil you use and wherever you change your oil, make sure it is synthetic and it meets BMW's oil certs on the back of the bottle. Also, if you run really low (light is on), it is safer to put ANY oil, than run too low.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #9
Clarence Watson
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by malter2.0 View Post
After all, these people fix your car for free under warranty and they want to make sure you do things their way...the way it was designed from factory. Wouldn't you do the same if you sold cars and had to warranty them?
On that basis, wouldn't it be in the dealers' best interests to charge only a reasonable (i.e., independent shop's) price for an oil change so that they can discourage as few owners as possible from having that service performed by the dealer and thus minimize the need for warranty repairs caused by things such as mixing oils? Seems like forgoing a bit of excessive profit on those kinds of services would give them more control and keep them from having to make as many warranty repairs.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 02:00 PM   #10
malter2.0
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence Watson View Post
On that basis, wouldn't it be in the dealers' best interests to charge only a reasonable (i.e., independent shop's) price for an oil change so that they can discourage as few owners as possible from having that service performed by the dealer and thus minimize the need for warranty repairs caused by things such as mixing oils? Seems like forgoing a bit of excessive profit on those kinds of services would give them more control and keep them from having to make as many warranty repairs.
That absolutely makes sense, BUT BMW gets so much overpriced oil-change business from obtuse owners who don't know any better, that it is in their financial interest to keep oil changes overpriced, even if few owners change their oil with something that will sieze the turbos down the road. They will eat that cost, because former gives them overall greater return.

In fact, BMW probably (more like ...definitely) has systems and business software to tell them what is optimal for them in terms of financial gain.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #11
Bcube
Been there, wrecked that.
Rep
Drives: '07 E93 335i

Quote:
My dealer:
Interim oil changes (car computer is not interrogated nor oil monitor reset) is $85 with the occasional "special" at $65. Plus wash and vacuum, and a shuttle ride down to/from the local mall, if I ask.

For $65, it isn't worth it to me to crawl under the car.
      02-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #12
Clarence Watson
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcube View Post
My dealer:
Interim oil changes (car computer is not interrogated nor oil monitor reset) is $85 with the occasional "special" at $65. Plus wash and vacuum, and a shuttle ride down to/from the local mall, if I ask.

$65 is pretty darn good. My dealer is over $100, and it's a 90 minute round trip. I'm sure somewhere on here is a thread with everyone's dealership oil change experiences/prices.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #13
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedim View Post
Those SA's dont know shit. Whenever I go, I feel more knowledgable

+1
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #14
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcube View Post
Quote:
My dealer:

I find this hard to believe. I'm pretty sure 7 quarts of synthetic oil, a new filter, plus tax, add up to more than $65. I can't imagine that you have gotten this deal more than once.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 03:19 PM   #15
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertt View Post
I find this hard to believe. I'm pretty sure 7 quarts of synthetic oil, a new filter, plus tax, add up to more than $65. I can't imagine that you have gotten this deal more than once.
Why?

Dealer bulk rate on 50 gallon drums of Castrol Syntec 5W-30 European spec comes to something a little less than $1.00 per LITER. 6.5 liters comes to about $6 in oil. Filters, even if they pay single price, is $4.50 each.

Where it's going to KILL you is the FRU/Charge rate. At $120 per hour, that means they're only charging you 1 FRU (15 minute intervals) for the job.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #16
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Anyone assuming SAs are stupid don't understand the business. They (SAs) deal with hundreds of customers a week. Out of 100 customers they maybe get one that hangs out at forums and reads up on all the DIYs and assumes they know more than the SAs. Unless they know you PERSONALLY they're going to simply assume you are just like the 99 other customers who doesn't know anything about cars. So they tailor their spiel to keep their jobs as simple as possible. Trying to explain to anyone that BMW engines require specific API and ILSAC ratings AND BMW's own LL-01 or better spec of a specific viscosity is useless. So they just tell you you can't use anything else or you shouldn't mix it because, well, to explain further would just be a waste of time, only confuse the customer more, and making more work in general for them.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #17
lightning20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i sedan

j/ w you guys that change your oil yourself what oil filter do you buy?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #18
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Anyone assuming SAs are stupid don't understand the business. They (SAs) deal with hundreds of customers a week. Out of 100 customers they maybe get one that hangs out at forums and reads up on all the DIYs and assumes they know more than the SAs. Unless they know you PERSONALLY they're going to simply assume you are just like the 99 other customers who doesn't know anything about cars. So they tailor their spiel to keep their jobs as simple as possible. Trying to explain to anyone that BMW engines require specific API and ILSAC ratings AND BMW's own LL-01 or better spec of a specific viscosity is useless. So they just tell you you can't use anything else or you shouldn't mix it because, well, to explain further would just be a waste of time, only confuse the customer more, and making more work in general for them.
DING DING WINNER!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 03:52 PM   #19
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
I get a coupon emailed to me every month for what used to be $59.99, now it went up to $69.99. My old one charges $110 but I asked for a discount for the only time I paid (1,200 mi.) and they charged me $71. They make money no matter what they charge.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #20
malter2.0
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
spot on. good job.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #21
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Here's an interesting read.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ngineOils.aspx
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 06:27 PM   #22
Morpheus
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Titanium Silver

Quote:
Yeah just oil and filter is $65.
Appreciate 0