E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Clowns

09-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Clowns

Just off the phone to my in laws. They have been talking about getting a new car and fancied a Merc ( because they are old as shit).

My father in law was in the motor trade for 30 years but to put it mildly his mind isn't as sharp as it was so I told them to go look at cars but DO NOT under any circumstances agree to anything today.

Got out of a meeting at 5 today to see several text messages leading to the fact they have agreed to buy a car. What did I say??????

I asked for details of the deal. They had no clue if they got a discount, the car is stock but they don't know if it's pre reg/demo/staff etc. its not the spec they would have wanted, they took a PCP with no idea of the APR with £10k down :0 and to top it all off they took paint protection, GAP and wheel and tyre insurance through the dealer.

Don't know whether to or

Now I know they can get out of this no problem and maybe, just maybe they did by way of some miracle get a massive discount. However, I think it's more likely that tomorrow I will be paying the local MB dealer a visit tomorrow to ruin some guys day.

I hope the stupid gene isn't hereditary.
      09-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
simmo1985
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 Edition M Sport 320D

lol at your hereditary comment!

Sounds like they really should have taken you or someone else to keep the salesman from twisting them around his finger. Sounds like they got a bit bamboozled if they can't even remember details of the deal.

Personally though i would recommend paint protection to anyone aslong as:

1. They aren't into detailing, or cleaning it themselves in general.
2. The car is brand new, its pointless on old paintwork.
3. You are keeping the car for 5+ years.

All being said though, i guess its there money to throw away. Even if its a huge mistake.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 02:40 AM   #3
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

My mate is one of the directors of supagard and he will do the car for free. They know this as he did their current car after another mate did a correction detail.

Despite what people say about that product I can testify that their polyzylonol treatment is incredible. The regular stuff dealers punt is not worth it. It's the cheapest of products with the highest price tag.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 02:42 AM   #4
simmo1985
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 Edition M Sport 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
My mate is one of the directors of supagard and he will do the car for free. They know this as he did their current car after another mate did a correction detail.

Despite what people say about that product I can testify that their polyzylonol treatment is incredible. The regular stuff dealers punt is not worth it. It's the cheapest of products with the highest price tag.
Couldn't ask him the best way to remove Supaguard and the like could you?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 03:37 AM   #5
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

I'm not sure who are the clowns.

Fair enough they probably won't have got a discount and they paid over the odds for some stuff that in fact will be useful. But they're over 21 and it's a Merc main dealer not Big Motoring World. Just take a deep breath and let them get on with it. Aged parents do this sort of thing.

Talking of aged parents, last night I had the call that no grown up child ever wants. "When you come up tomorrow could you have a look at my computer? That red thing has come on again."
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 05:27 AM   #6
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
Theres letting them get on with it and then there is checking that the sales guy diddn't just take the piss. Maybe they did get a good deal but I know which option I would go for.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #7
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Purchase is now cancelled.

It turns out they flogged them an E class 220cdi (ideal for the 4k miles of town driving they do per year) from stock, not pre registered with the MB contribution and zero dealership contribution. The sales guy told me that protection, gap etc etc was being thrown in as the dealer contribution the best bit was that he even stated FREE set of mats as a dealer contribution

Rich, they are indeed adults but the dealership smelt niaive blood and went for it. It wasn't the Big Motor World old school hard sell as you say it's a MB main dealer. However, they did do all the new softly softly tricks such as double team with the business manager flattering them by telling them they had done really well. Plying them with tea and cakes (like crack to old folk). From my mother in laws account they basically could not get out of the showroom (being old school their manners don't allow them to just get up and walk out). They were in their for nearly 4 hours and the salesman even managed to sell them extras such as wheel upgrades along with a load of tech that they didn't understand.

Don't be fooled into thinking the motor trade is any less crooked than it has been in the past simply because the sales guys are now called "executives" and the showroom is all comfy chairs with entertainment areas.

My in laws are still clowns for allowing themselves to be mugged.
      09-04-2013, 06:18 AM   #8
SBE92LCI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 320d LCI

Fair play for checking for them.

What was MB's reaction to you cancelling?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #9
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Those salesmen are like fcuking sharks...they would just rip you off if they smell any weakness!...If you don't know anything about cars, they'll just fill you up with bullshit... I had a salesman who told me that the rx8 would easily take anything on the road..."quite easily"...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #10
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Rich, they are indeed adults but the dealership smelt niaive blood and went for it. It wasn't the Big Motor World old school hard sell as you say it's a MB main dealer. However, they did do all the new softly softly tricks such as double team with the business manager flattering them by telling them they had done really well. Plying them with tea and cakes (like crack to old folk). From my mother in laws account they basically could not get out of the showroom (being old school their manners don't allow them to just get up and walk out). They were in their for nearly 4 hours and the salesman even managed to sell them extras such as wheel upgrades along with a load of tech that they didn't understand.
Fair point. I accept they were being taken advantage of. I think I'm probably a bit jaded when it comes to the whole "What should I do? You know about cars" thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #11
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
I had a salesman who told me that the rx8 would easily take anything on the road..."quite easily"...
I had an RX8 with a large Greddy turbo stuck on it pushing 380bhp. It could take quite a lot of stuff and was proper fun to drive! I'm pretty sure the 335i is quicker in a straight line with the Evolve stage2 but it makes much less of a song and dance about it.

Last edited by nicktyler; 09-04-2013 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #12
ian_m
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 330 d

Garage List
Quote:
They were in their for nearly 4 hours
bloody hell four hours!! Jesus, sounds like Upvc sales not cars
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #13
zedman
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M Sport 320D,

Slightly OT but...

Its annoying when people get bamboozled by the salesman because they didn't bother doing 5 mins of research before they left the house... or ask someone for some guidance.

It's exceptionally annoying when they come and tell YOU (cos you're the car guy) about the good deal they've got, and how the £500 polish will protect their car from anything for 3 years blah blah. And really cos you're the car guy, they want you to agree with them - to tell them how they got a really good deal and how the £500 tyre insurance is fantastic for their 15'' rims.

It's most annoying however when you get your phone out, do a quick drive the deal/broadspeed search and show them how much they could have paid without even leaving the house, show them how much GAP ins could have actually cost them, tell them how crap some of the paint protection stuff is etc etc - and then they look at you like you just killed their dog or something.

OP seems like your in laws are from an age where they are a lot more trusting then us modern folk, nothing wrong with that, they must be nice people.
      09-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #14
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Just off the phone to my in laws. They have been talking about getting a new car and fancied a Merc ( because they are old as shit).
I don't feel old as shit when I drive my Merc. I just enjoy the sound of the 3.5 V6 and watching cars disappear in the rear view.

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #15
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockIt View Post
I don't feel old as shit when I drive my Merc. I just enjoy the sound of the 3.5 V6 and watching cars disappear in the rear view.

bit old Gav... and a teacher...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #16
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
They have been talking about getting a new car and fancied a Merc ( because they are old as shit).

I think you should join a Merc forum like MBWorld and start a thread....
Appreciate 0