E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Joint BMW Toyota Sports Cars Will Not be Identical. May Revive 6-Series Based Supra?

07-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Lightbulb Joint BMW Toyota Sports Cars Will Not be Identical. May Revive 6-Series Based Supra?

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Joint BMW Toyota Sports Cars Will Not be Identical. May Revive 6-Series Based Supra?
COMMENTS
Name:  bmwtoyotasportscar.jpg
Views: 19300
Size:  162.6 KB

BMW and Toyota announced last week their plans to work together on the joint development of architecture and components for a future sports car. Few details were given about the joint sports car, which set off much discussions and speculations as to the type of sports car that will be developed. Will it be a small coupe/roadster type vehicle like the FR-S / BRZ (co-developed by Toyota and Subaru), a larger sports car - the likes of which we last saw with the Toyota Supra, or something else altogether?

One thing we can now be sure of is that, unlike the Scion FR-S (Toyota 86) and Subaru BRZ, BMW and Toyota's respective versions of their jointly developed sports car will not be identical nor share exterior designs, confirms a BMW spokeswoman in Munich to Autonews.

BMW's vehicle "will be a sustainable sports car with environmentally friendly technology," she said. "We are developing the architecture and components for this future car." The spokeswoman continues: "Anything is possible... The key factor is that the products of both companies retain their own individual character, despite jointly developed technologies."

As for the type of car? According to the report, a BMW insider (not the BMW spokeswoman) speculates that the collaboration could provide the basis for the return of the Toyota Supra, possibly using the BMW 6-series platform, though this is only speculation at this point. A Lexus badged sports car also is a possibility.

Whatever shape or form the BMW-Toyota sports cars eventually take, expect to it feature technologies in which BMW and Toyota are market leaders in -- carbon fiber and hybrid tech, respectively.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.................
      07-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

So a hybrid sports car? Thats disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Wouldn't the F13 platform be really huge for a Supra? The F30/80 platform would make more sense.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
Prius GT?
      07-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
Wolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: on hold

Supra based on the 6er will be a boat... If Toyota's sports-car is a supra then what will BMW's sport-car will be? That's the question here. My guess it will be the new Z4
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW have tapped into this by mirroring typical BMW dynamics and steering communication within the new UKL cars.
You mean massive body roll, a steering system that is not connected to the front wheels, and the engine note played through the speaker system?!?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #7
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

The ink is barely dry but already "Rumours" of the joint venture is filtering through the FIZ.

The key benefactor will be the BMWi brand as I understand that Toyota will now be following the same idea with their sub brand named after their first hybrid.The Prius.
Prius is expected to become the Toyota equivalent to BMWi.

The Sports car joint venture looks likely to be the car that will eventually be the BMW i4. Potentially a smaller 2 seater Coupe, like a mini-i8.
Toyota will create their Prius and (possible) Lexus model alongside the BMW.
The BMWi version will of course use the BMWi design language but Toyota will work on a design language for Prius as a sub-brand.

The collaboration will allow BMWi to study other potential concepts such as an X6-like i6 whilst on full concentration of the BMW i3 (in which a forthcoming media day will see the media being taken for a city drive as a passenger in the all-new City Car.) And of course the BMW i8 Coupe and Spyder models.

Another interesting outcome will be BMW finally getting the help to make the MINI Rocketman become a reality. Especially with Toyota's help who have developed a two cylinder engine mated to a compact version of Toyotas hybrid system being developed for the next generation of Toyota IQ and Aygo.
The genius lies in the packaging potential for a car with a small footprint.
Alongside with the hybrid , which would come later in the lifecycle.

A Toyota designed but (BMW overhauled) two cylinder could potentially become the engine of choice for the small MINI with the next generation MINI's three-cylinder being available to the more potent Rocketman S.
Although the upcoming MINI F56/BMW UKL-1 platform is not feasable for the MINI Rocketman , the car could use a shortened Toyota platform, with BMW's engineers making sure that chassis , steering and suspension all bare the MINI typical go-kart-fun-to-drive characteristics.

Of course the above is rumours and info heard around the water coolers and the bier hause's of Munich.
So far as the deal is early , not everything is fully confirmed between departments. That should commence this week.
      07-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary88 View Post
Prius GT?

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #9
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

i am aiming to be disappointed b/c all car companies talk about these days is "hybrid" and "sustainable technology" esp when it comes to sports cars.... (which to me makes no sense)

The enthusiast in me drools at the thought of the Supra nameplate being resurrected, but it's prob going to be garbage. Kind of like the 8-series, instead we're going to get this i8.
      07-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
RWolf10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX78703 View Post
i am aiming to be disappointed b/c all car companies talk about these days is "hybrid" and "sustainable technology" esp when it comes to sports cars.... (which to me makes no sense)

The enthusiast in me drools at the thought of the Supra nameplate being resurrected, but it's prob going to be garbage. Kind of like the 8-series, instead we're going to get this i8.
regardless of the product, consumers can only gain from partnerships like this. sharing technology means more car options with the best each manufacturer has to offer.

trade secrets are over-rated
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #11
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

I don't think a neo-Supra will be based on any F1x chassis. That's just way too large.

I think we are going to see something all new here. The words were "will be a sustainable sports car with environmentally friendly technology". That sounds like a i6 or something of that nature - definitely an "i" brand vehicle. And then perhaps toyota will repurpose the chassis for a Supra, Celica, or MR2, using a more conventional powertrain.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Supra based on the 6er will be a boat... If Toyota's sports-car is a supra then what will BMW's sport-car will be? That's the question here. My guess it will be the new Z4
I hope it doesn't affect the next gen z4 in any which way if they are going hybrid!
      07-04-2012, 11:33 PM   #13
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph
So a hybrid sports car? Thats disappointing.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #14
brandonb
Rep
Drives: blue

Interesting post, had the opportunity to ride a Supra a couple of years back, and it's a well-built car.. The japanese and BMW together, might make a hell of a team.
      07-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #15
JefryHorizon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bus Pass

I think I cried jizz when i saw the words BMW and Supra in the same sentence....
E82 x1 Sold
E60 x1 Furniture...
Appreciate 0