E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Air Intake, Gruppe M carbon fibre

03-03-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
gingerporksword
Australia
Rep
Drives: 325

Air Intake, Gruppe M carbon fibre

Has anyone here fitted a Gruppe M air intake with K & N? Does it make much of a difference?

I thought I would take advantage of high exchange rate so I bought this. Apparently adds 10hp.

Looks pretty cool even though no one looks under there anyway
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

10hp .... questionable.

I replaced my paper filter with a K+N direct replacement filter 2 weeks ago. Throtle is more responsive and the car seems to breath better above 4000rpm. People would relate the above to the car having extra power but if you put it on a dyno you would probably not see any difference.

I think drivability has improved especially when using it in stepronic (pathetic attempt at creating a simulated clutchless manual) mode.

The K+N filter cost $115 including delivery from Rocket Industries and since BMW wanted to charge $90+ dollars for a replacement paper filter, I thought I'd get one of these instead. I've used K+N in the last 3 cars with similar results. BTW .... at 25,000klms I had an oil service done at BMW and just by inserting my key into their reader, they told me I was in need of replacing the air filter. Obviously I told them not to bother as I had plans. When I took the filter out, it was nowhere near needing to be replaced. So much for BMW's Condition Based Servicing!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 11:42 PM   #3
gingerporksword
Australia
Rep

No completely different system apparently the system I bought retails for $1,200 US I payed $530 Oz landed it just comes with a K & N air cone filter. See pic above all the carbon fibre above the kidney grills and then swoops round to the right the factory airbox needs to be removed and this one should be professionally installed. Its a stage 2 air induction kit. there are dyno results online that show a significant improvement in hp and torque.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 12:00 AM   #4
gingerporksword
Australia
Rep

see pic
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 12:45 AM   #5
amberzombie
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: MG F80 ZCP

Garage List
2007 E90 320i  [0.00]
have you searched the forum to see what other people have had to say about it? i've even come across one thread with a step by step pictorial guide on how to have that installed.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 04:58 PM   #6
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

Nothing special about a K+N 57i filter surounded in a carbon fiber housing. Looks great and it will deffinitly give a meaner induction growl as well as give you sharper throtle response but it wont give you an extra 10hp.

It will give the "Feeling" of an extra 10hp. I think the unit looks good and you should be happy with the way it works.

And on another note-: ASTRA has been on this forum for a long time and offers a lot of useful information. No need to flame people for their comments. We also don't discriminate over a fellow members choice of car or model. Dude ... this is Australia and the way we embrace diversity is what makes this a great country.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 06:21 PM   #7
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbilbie View Post
No completely different system apparently the system I bought retails for $1,200 US I payed $530 Oz landed it just comes with a K & N air cone filter. See pic above all the carbon fibre above the kidney grills and then swoops round to the right the factory airbox needs to be removed and this one should be professionally installed. Its a stage 2 air induction kit. there are dyno results online that show a significant improvement in hp and torque.
Hmmm, I find it hard to believe that it needs to be installed by a proffesional... If you have a read of a DIY written by a member that has already done the install, you will probably find that it really isn't so hard. I installed mine myself, so I am sure you'd be fine... There isn't much with the cars that strictly is too hard for the owner to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberzombie View Post
have you searched the forum to see what other people have had to say about it? i've even come across one thread with a step by step pictorial guide on how to have that installed.
Yep, Here is a link to the DIY section of the forum... No doubt you would find what you need to know here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgr02 View Post
And on another note-: ASTRA has been on this forum for a long time and offers a lot of useful information. No need to flame people for their comments. We also don't discriminate over a fellow members choice of car or model. Dude ... this is Australia and the way we embrace diversity is what makes this a great country.
That was confusing lol, was that directed at me?

Last edited by astra; 03-04-2008 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 12:07 AM   #8
gingerporksword
Australia
Rep

And on another note-: ASTRA has been on this forum for a long time and offers a lot of useful information. No need to flame people for their comments. We also don't discriminate over a fellow members choice of car or model. Dude ... this is Australia and the way we embrace diversity is what makes this a great country.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry mate, Astra and I already kissed and made up

I'm sure we both have a wealth of knowledge about BMW's and have different opinions on lots of stuff at the end of the day we can help each other out. A little conflict makes it interesting too
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 02:16 AM   #9
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Brad,

Looks like a fairly easy thing to install.

If you like you can swing past my office on evening & I can help you do the install.

Rgds,

S
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 04:29 AM   #10
gingerporksword
Australia
Rep

S,

That would be great I'll be in touch when it arrives. I might bring the M6 to work on friday just let me know if ya wanna go for a quick fang during the day. You'll appreciate how grunty she sounds.

BB
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 02:47 PM   #11
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbilbie View Post
S,

That would be great I'll be in touch when it arrives. I might bring the M6 to work on friday just let me know if ya wanna go for a quick fang during the day. You'll appreciate how grunty she sounds.

BB
Would love to but I have a busy schedule on Friday. Also Fridays seam to be the fun polices favorite day for the Alexandria area.'

S
Appreciate 0