E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Additional maintenance during rear diff and transfer case bushings?

03-25-2021, 06:49 PM   #1
drummr8
6MT FTMFW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335xi E91 6MT 12 X5 35i

Garage List
Additional maintenance during rear diff and transfer case bushings?

I am in the middle of replacing my rear diff mounts and the transfer case mount on my 11 335xi. Is there anything else worth replacing while I'm in there that is likely easier to do while I have things pulled apart under there? I'm around 100k...

Is the guibo and center support bearing worth doing? How can you check those for wear?

As an FYI to other xdrive owners, at 100k my transfer case mount looks and feels perfect compared to the new one I put in. Surprising since the one in my E70 with 120k (also N55) was completely torn apart.
      03-25-2021, 07:07 PM   #2
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

How about your rear diff mounts? What kind of shape were they in?

They look like such a pain in the ass to change, and I already swapped my rear diff out and did NOT do them at that time, so the prospect of basically re-doing that job plus trying to press out those bushings really doesn’t appeal to me unless it’s likely mine are really shot.

Giubo wear usually presents as cracking. Should be easy enough to identify. As for CSB, check the rubber gaiter for cracking and wear. Spin the driveshaft if possible and listen/feel bearing.

TBH, I don’t think you’re achieving worthwhile efficiencies by replacing a potentially good CSB now versus at a later date when you know it’s bad. There isn’t significant disassembly required to do it (just remove driveshaft), and the actual R&R of the CSB is enough of a pain in the nutsack that I’d personally not do it unless I needed to.

As for the giubo, if it’s starting to crack you might as well replace it.
      03-26-2021, 08:44 AM   #3
drummr8
6MT FTMFW
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The diff mounts surprisingly don't look too bad either, but I have the notorious clunk when shifting, especially into reverse. I haven't pulled the big rear mount out yet to inspect more closely... got held up trying to reinstall the new front diff mounts. It is a MASSIVE pain in the d*ck and I don't think I'd recommend it unless you really have to. The bushing is oversized and designed to compress into the hole in the subframe... there is a lead-in but it is nowhere near large enough to accommodate this new bushing. I ordered some different size band clamps so hopefully those will allow me to compress it enough to get it started in there. Will report back in a couple days.
      03-30-2021, 02:59 PM   #4
drummr8
6MT FTMFW
United_States
Rep

Garage List
update: replaced all 3 diff bushings. Using an exhaust pipe clamp helped to compress the front bushings enough to be able to install. All 3 bushings looked OK to me, just some minor cracking but nothing major or all the way through. I don't really feel much difference in driving, but I think the clunk noise is gone. Need to drive more to verify! I may turn this into a DIY if I have time.

another update: I drove the car a few days now, and there is literally no difference. I still have minor clunking, the same as when I started, and the car still does the annoying lurch thing when I'm in first gear and I let off the gas. I have no idea what it could possibly be, so I guess I'll just live with it.

Last edited by drummr8; 03-31-2021 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 04:42 PM   #5
Leucosticte
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi E92 6mt swap

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummr8 View Post
update: replaced all 3 diff bushings. Using an exhaust pipe clamp helped to compress the front bushings enough to be able to install. All 3 bushings looked OK to me, just some minor cracking but nothing major or all the way through. I don't really feel much difference in driving, but I think the clunk noise is gone. Need to drive more to verify! I may turn this into a DIY if I have time.

another update: I drove the car a few days now, and there is literally no difference. I still have minor clunking, the same as when I started, and the car still does the annoying lurch thing when I'm in first gear and I let off the gas. I have no idea what it could possibly be, so I guess I'll just live with it.
Ever figure this out or did you just give up? I'm suffering from something similar and I'm thinking it's my transfer case mount.
Appreciate 0