E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Not bad for a courtesy car!

05-30-2008, 03:40 PM   #45
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Carrera has gone Was going to have it all weekend but they need it to demo to a prospective purchaser. Offered a Cayenne or the Cayman S I originally test drove. Opted for the Cayman funningly enough. It has the 'short shift' box which I really like and the sport package. Tried it out earlier and it does make a big difference. Stiffens the dampers and allows greater throttle response throughout the whole rev range in every gear. I got around some bends at unbelievable speeds - absolutely fantastic.

Again a full tank of fuel and car delivered to my door. Good service so far. Mine should be ready on Monday apparently.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 03:50 PM   #46
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Carrera has gone Was going to have it all weekend but they need it to demo to a prospective purchaser. Offered a Cayenne or the Cayman S I originally test drove. Opted for the Cayman funningly enough. It has the 'short shift' box which I really like and the sport package. Tried it out earlier and it does make a big difference. Stiffens the dampers and allows greater throttle response throughout the whole rev range in every gear. I got around some bends at unbelievable speeds - absolutely fantastic.

Again a full tank of fuel and car delivered to my door. Good service so far. Mine should be ready on Monday apparently.
BB, any chance of a Carrera GT next time?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 03:55 PM   #47
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Are you making your way through the whole Porsche range? lol
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 04:21 PM   #48
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooky View Post
BB, any chance of a Carrera GT next time?
Haven't spotted one there Snooky as a demo etc. Was looking at a rather nice GT2 though in the showroom. 2 hopes there me thinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booforty View Post
Are you making your way through the whole Porsche range? lol
If they deliver the goods, then I'll drive them Paul - one can only oblige in such matters.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 04:29 PM   #49
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Let me know what you think of PASM after the weekend - I found a bit to soft in normal and way to hard for the road in sports mode. I think the normal steel springs are far better comprimise most of the time.
      05-30-2008, 04:56 PM   #50
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Let me know what you think of PASM after the weekend - I found a bit to soft in normal and way to hard for the road in sports mode. I think the normal steel springs are far better comprimise most of the time.
I can answer that one in part now Peter. After the Carrera, I have already noticed that in normal mode, the Cayman suspension 'dipped' slightly where the Carrera would not have. I agree, there is a noticeable difference in sport mode. I wouldn't like it on all the time as yes it is hard and I was at the time not on a smooth road but 'was in the mood'. Will play about over the weekend. But so far I agree with you, the normal steel springs are a better compromise, especially considering the cost of the PASM.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 03:55 AM   #51
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I really want a 997 Turbo.
      05-31-2008, 04:36 PM   #52
-=TSL=-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a sexy 325i

Garage List
Wow, quite a courtesy car indeed!
Mercedes used to give us some nice courtesy cars once upon a time...

Interesting to hear the differences between the two!

TSL

-=E92 325i M Sport-Alpine White-Saddle Brown-NavPro-Bluetooth-Individual Sound-6FL-Brushed Aluminium=-
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 04:33 PM   #53
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Right Peter, been out for a blast today in the bright red Cayman S and had various opportunities to try out the PASM over different road surfaces.

On smooth roads, I found it ok although a bit bouncy and a slight pattering effect. Over more undulating road surfaces more effort is required with the arm muscles as the steering wheel oscillates. None of these attributes effects the overall grip, poise and balance of the car, indeed the already pin sharp handling imo is improved even more! For me the most welcome feature is the improved throttle response which is immediately noticeable. It is akin to having more power in effect as you are utilising the optimum capabilities of the engine. Negotiating tight bends becomes similar to the very capable Carrera 4S I had the other day in this respect.

As for PASM in normal mode, I happended upon a gentleman in a new E90 1.8d LMB M sport this afternoon. This guy obviously fancied his chances against the blonde bimbo in a bright red Cayman (bless eh) and I duly obliged. Lack of power aside, he was 'giving it some' along a road with more than enough twisty bits. He was pushing the M sport to its limits and using ALL the road. I was not on the limit TBH and the Cayman managed more than well enough in normal mode. I had the time to press the switch to 'sport mode' and just kept on pushing the poor guy in front whose wide eyes could be seen in his rear view mirror Serious point being, once in sport mode again, I felt like I was cruising through the bends and he was obviously working hard to push the M sport through the same. I passed him after a while and he became a blur in my mirror. All friendly stuff.

Ultimately, I'm more in favour of the system now than before tbh, just the price and is it such an important option when the opportunity to use it properly could be few . I'm also thinking that the Michelins on the loan car may have a bit more grip than the Bridgestones on mine and are possibly quieter. The more I drive these cars, the more I appreciate how bloody good they are.

Last edited by beemerbird; 06-01-2008 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: Bloody spelling!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #54
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Good review and I think both systems have there merits. Once the Porsche thing gets in your system it sure is a new level of driver involvement.
      06-02-2008, 12:12 PM   #55
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Right Peter, been out for a blast today in the bright red Cayman S and had various opportunities to try out the PASM over different road surfaces.

On smooth roads, I found it ok although a bit bouncy and a slight pattering effect. Over more undulating road surfaces more effort is required with the arm muscles as the steering wheel oscillates. None of these attributes effects the overall grip, poise and balance of the car, indeed the already pin sharp handling imo is improved even more! For me the most welcome feature is the improved throttle response which is immediately noticeable. It is akin to having more power in effect as you are utilising the optimum capabilities of the engine. Negotiating tight bends becomes similar to the very capable Carrera 4S I had the other day in this respect.

As for PASM in normal mode, I happended upon a gentleman in a new E90 1.8d LMB M sport this afternoon. This guy obviously fancied his chances against the blonde bimbo in a bright red Cayman (bless eh) and I duly obliged. Lack of power aside, he was 'giving it some' along a road with more than enough twisty bits. He was pushing the M sport to its limits and using ALL the road. I was not on the limit TBH and the Cayman managed more than well enough in normal mode. I had the time to press the switch to 'sport mode' and just kept on pushing the poor guy in front whose wide eyes could be seen in his rear view mirror Serious point being, once in sport mode again, I felt like I was cruising through the bends and he was obviously working hard to push the M sport through the same. I passed him after a while and he became a blur in my mirror. All friendly stuff.

Ultimately, I'm more in favour of the system now than before tbh, just the price and is it such an important option when the opportunity to use it properly could be few . I'm also thinking that the Michelins on the loan car may have a bit more grip than the Bridgestones on mine and are possibly quieter. The more I drive these cars, the more I appreciate how bloody good they are.
H,reading stuff like this really 'aint helping me

Glad your enjoying it
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 04:57 PM   #56
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezebm View Post
H,reading stuff like this really 'aint helping me

Glad your enjoying it
Calvin, you need to get it out of your system mate. M3 or Porsche.....M3 or Porsche. You see WHEN I've driven yours as we've discussed.....hint, hint, then maybe I could help you make your mind up

Yep definately enjoying it.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 05:16 PM   #57
mgarvey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Renault Megane

Wilhhollin - my wife has one of these and she hates my Beemer so much the Scenic ends up being the family car as she refuses to drive mine.

She says mine has too hard a ride, heavy steering and heavy controls, much preferring her soft ride, light controls and steering so vague you get more feedback from a Playstation.

My E91 has not served duty as a family wagon since January as a result, the good side of which is that I have a rather more open choice of car next time round (but I'll leave that for another post).
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 11:37 AM   #58
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Not quite the same as last time - unfortunately

Baby croc. is in for a couple of mods. and I've been given a Porsche courtesy car............. but this lump...........

Name:  063.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  149.0 KB

Name:  064.jpg
Size:  173.8 KB

Name:  065.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  214.1 KB

This is a bit of a bummer though!

Name:  066.jpg
Size:  138.0 KB

It certainly goes, 4.8 V8 and sounds like a V8 when you floor it. The tiptronic box is very responsive and kicks down readily. Not the handling of the Cayman but not bad at all. Has the air suspension with self-levelling and height adjustment, together with the PASM.

Not my cup of tea, but hey, we're all different.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 03:50 PM   #59
CD
gone ... but i will be back !
England
Rep
Drives: 335D Coupe

17.6 mpg ... ouch ... oh and viking FM i thought you had taste

sorry , that was the first thing that caught my eye ... i remember one of those kept passing me on a long drive through spain last year, i wondered at the time why the same one kept 'zooming' past me, then i realised he kept refueling

what does the other half make of this then, is he impressed or does he want to stick to his landies

enjoy Helen , im sure you will be glad when yours comes back!

E92 335D / QUAIFE LSD / EIBACH / DIMISA / REMAP / 19" HAMANN EDITION RACE REPS
... USUALLY WITH A HEALTHY SPLATTERING OF GOOD OLD YORKSHIRE MUD ...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 04:07 PM   #60
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Hi Chris - just got back in as Steve has had a drive in it........ you know as it's a 4x4 Yeah, he likes it. Course he's totally blown away by the performance but the sod has managed to get the mpg down to 15.2

I didn't actually have the radio on Viking FM - honest Haven't you seen the Viking FM vans driving around our way........super. Anyhow, I've stuck a CD (hey, that's you!) in it now. Bloody good sound system btw.

Yep, will be pleased to get mine back although it's going to be Friday now.
Appreciate 0