E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > This might be the best $10 for your car!

04-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #23
AUDI LOL
Lurking
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Can't wait to try this on my new (to me) 335xi coming next thursday!! 2008 CPO 68xxx miles, sport, cold, premium. So excited!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #24
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyperx View Post
I keep a bottle of Techron in the trunk. I usually run a bottle through every handful of tank fills.

+1 I run a 20 gal concentration through about once a month.

btw.. you're supposed to add this to a full tank of fuel OP!

| 3-IM | AA Headers | Eurocharged Stage-3 | BMW PI |
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #25
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Like someone else stated, you're supposed to run this before changing your oil. Not changing your oil is like washing your dishes in your dirty bathwater. You're cleaning your injectors but then then letting that dirt recirculate through your engine. It may not be enough dirt by the time its diluted by the oil, but why take chances? You're probably better off not using the stuff than using it incorrectly.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #26
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Pre-LCI & 2010 X3

Hahaha, when I first saw it I thought it was hot sauce. Anyways, I just hit 75K and this sounds like a decent alternative until I can decarbonize my engine. Good lookin out man.
      04-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #27
Chris_506
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f82

Will give this a try. Thanks for the info OP!!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 11:04 PM   #28
Snyperx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i (SOLD)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Do you use it before an oil change?
No. I use it every few tank fulls or few thousand miles. I don't see why you need to do an oil change after using Techron considering it is a gas additive and not an oil additive.
      04-18-2013, 11:31 PM   #29
sunny
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, e90 330i

fuel injection cleaners

all fuel injection cleaners boost octane.
and some boost more than others.
but what about when you run out of octane boosted tank of gas.....
and fill up with out injection cleaners...
back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 01:16 AM   #30
BillionPa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

To clear up a few misconceptions here...

Techron and Lucas fuel treatment are not octane boosters, and both work in different ways. Techron has a little xylene and kerosene in it which are high octane, but not near enough to boost a tank even 0.1 octane numbers.

Techron is based on PEA formulation to reduce carbon and clean injectors, Lucas is based on PIB formulation. Techron is a solvent base, Lucas is a lubricant base.

PEA is much more effective at deposit control than PIB, but it costs more, and continual use of PIB in addition to the PEA already in the fuel is more effective at deposit control than the fuel detergents alone.

Since Lucas uses a lubricant base, that is what it is best at, and it does a good job. Techron is almost all solvent, and it does a good job at that. Amsoil PI is also PEA based, but uses a lubricant base with a small amount of solvents. Amsoil is about 1/3 PEA by volume.

PEA will remove carbon deposits very quickly, and also is known to have an effect on lead based bearings, which is why they say to use Techron for a tank, then fill up a fresh tank and change the oil, so the PEA and carbon blowby is not in the oil for more than 1000 miles. Since Lucas is not PEA based, you can use it continuously and have no ill effect.

I use a formulation made from Lucas, Amsoil, and some other stuff, and the end result is about 2oz of Lucas and 1/2oz of Amsoil for every 10 gallons of fuel, which is not enough PEA to cause excessive engine wear, but enough to eliminate carbon deposits in the combustion chamber and keep the injectors clean when used with the Lucas PIB. The dosage is based on both my mpg and oil change interval, to use a total of 1 bottle of Amsoil in the fuel over the oil change interval, this should be taken into consideration if using it as part of a long term fuel additive formulation.

As mentioned, this has no effect on intake valve carbon deposits in direct injected engines.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #31
E90_boostjunky
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I E90 SGM

Has anyone used seafoam, I've heard it works pretty well I've used it 2 times. Any opinions on seafoam vs Lucas?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #32
thecadman99
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i 6mt spt bk/bk

I have used seafoam on my e36. I would think it would clean the carbon buildup in your 335's (us slow cars don't have that problem ), if you use PCV to pull it into your engine.

I would still do an oil change after using Seafoam. I have no idea how it would affect an e90's sensors though.
My e36 is like a ti85 compared to all the gizmos in my e90.

EDIT: This thread has some seafoam info- looks like you need to be careful how you get the seafoam in your car...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=280712&page=2

Last edited by thecadman99; 04-19-2013 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: Updating info
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #33
kihun
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

my beater maxima ran like shit when i bought it. first thing i did was to put this bad boy in..
      04-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #34
e92_euro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328i

Garage List
2008 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Im gonna get a bottle, my car is feeling sluggish. Thanks OP!!

{2008 e92 328i MT} 19" 313 wheels wrapped in Yokohama S Drive | FK Silverline Coilovers | Burgertuning spacers | Active Autowerkes Exhaust | Aero Front Kit | ZHP Shift Knob | City Vision AE | Coded Corners |
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #35
BillionPa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

seafoam is essentially rubbing alcohol, it is not very good as an automotive fuel additive unless you have fuel line freezing problems in the winter.

the worst is when people put it in their engine oil, i have sold several engine rebuild kits because of that mistake
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #36
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
I keep a bottle of Techron in the trunk. I usually run a bottle through every handful of tank fills.

Thumbs up for Techron Full fuel system cleaner. I use this every oil change before the change. Run a full tank of gas with this before the lube job. First time i used it on a vehicle that had around 50k mileage is night and day difference.

Honestly though guys, putting too much of these things into our car will not help. A dosage every single tank is way way overkill. If anything, it'll probably do more harm than good. I am not an expert, but i have read somewhere before that most treatments are not good for our Cats and could destroy o2 sensors if used too excessively.
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #37
bmvee
MMM
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillionPa View Post

Techron and Lucas fuel treatment are not octane boosters, and both work in different ways. Techron has a little xylene and kerosene in it which are high octane, but not near enough to boost a tank even 0.1 octane numbers.

Techron is based on PEA formulation to reduce carbon and clean injectors, Lucas is based on PIB formulation. Techron is a solvent base, Lucas is a lubricant base.

PEA is much more effective at deposit control than PIB, but it costs more, and continual use of PIB in addition to the PEA already in the fuel is more effective at deposit control than the fuel detergents alone.

Since Lucas uses a lubricant base, that is what it is best at, and it does a good job. Techron is almost all solvent, and it does a good job at that. Amsoil PI is also PEA based, but uses a lubricant base with a small amount of solvents. Amsoil is about 1/3 PEA by volume.

PEA will remove carbon deposits very quickly, and also is known to have an effect on lead based bearings, which is why they say to use Techron for a tank, then fill up a fresh tank and change the oil, so the PEA and carbon blowby is not in the oil for more than 1000 miles. Since Lucas is not PEA based, you can use it continuously and have no ill effect.

I use a formulation made from Lucas, Amsoil, and some other stuff, and the end result is about 2oz of Lucas and 1/2oz of Amsoil for every 10 gallons of fuel, which is not enough PEA to cause excessive engine wear, but enough to eliminate carbon deposits in the combustion chamber and keep the injectors clean when used with the Lucas PIB. The dosage is based on both my mpg and oil change interval, to use a total of 1 bottle of Amsoil in the fuel over the oil change interval, this should be taken into consideration if using it as part of a long term fuel additive formulation.

As mentioned, this has no effect on intake valve carbon deposits in direct injected engines.
Very good info about fuel additives right here. Learn something new everyday. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #38
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:

Great post.
      04-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #39
Snyperx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i (SOLD)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:

Let me ask then. Since I ran a bottle of Techron through on my last tank, but did not do an oil change am I potentially damaging my engine? The few times I have used Techron I have NOT done an oil change after.
      04-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #40
sankohuy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyperx

I uses this exact same one too, every 3k miles along with Chevron on all my cars. Good stuff.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #41
BillionPa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Let me ask then. Since I ran a bottle of Techron through on my last tank, but did not do an oil change am I potentially damaging my engine? The few times I have used Techron I have NOT done an oil change after.
The wear is probably minimal, if you want to be sure, when you change the oil, save some of it is it pours out and send it to blackstone labs for analysis

PEA/Techron is in most top tier gas (probably all of it) but in much lower quantities than the concentrate additive, and that does not cause noticeable wear. It depends on bearing material, piston ring blowby levels, and dilution levels of blowby in the oil volume. BMW engine is fairly high oil volume for engine size, and blowby should be minimal (more so in N54/55), and I am not 100% sure of the bearing formulation.

Keeping that in mind, some cars will have a much harder time dealing with the blowby, and I am not sure how much wear using 2 bottles prior to an OCI will cause to a newer BMW engine, so it is best to be cautious or analyze the oil to find out.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #42
dreweezy
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

they recommend using it right before an oil change if you put the product in the oil itself
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #43
cxc511
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328 6MT

For those who have used Chevron Techron, how long did it take for you to see a benefit? My engine (N52) runs well overall at 54k miles, gas mileage is good, but sometimes I get a rough idle where it feels like the engine shakes only upon starting the car when it is still warm from recent driving. It is not an issue on a cold start where the idle is at higher RPMs, or after the car has been running and then sits at idle.

Anyway, I saw this thread recently and for $7, I decided to give Techron a try but am only about 50 miles into the tank of gas. Another thought was fuel induction cleaning at the dealership but I am not convinced it is worth the cost. Besides, if my engine had a lot of carbon build up, wouldn't it run rough all of the time?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #44
McAuley7
@McAuley7
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Garage List
2010 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game
Quote:

Do you use it before an oil change?
I actually just used this yesterday and auto zone said its best to use after every oil change lol
Appreciate 0