E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > too little gas mileage, help!

03-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #89
soflop
3o5
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaks View Post
Soflop, you mentioned a different octane in response to my post, but i really meant leaded gas. I once knew a pilot that put 100 low lead from his airstrip into his car. It's great for performance.... horrible for cats.
You are right about the sensors, they SHOULD throw codes.
If there is an emission history, i would ask a dealersip for some history on your car.., they might help you out without charging you... or call customer support, they can pull all that info as well.
You might also want to spend some money on a well tenured mechanic that can understand proper engine performance, fuel adaptation values, if the engine is switching out of the warm-up enrichment mode....... Maybe $250 for a couple hours at the dealership might help you here.
Sorry, I don't know why the hell I put octane... I didin't know they even made gasoline with lead. Is it avgas you speak of? If it is, I had NO idea that had lead lol
and I dont know if they ever poured this. If they did, they're fckn retards cause it was unnecessary.

The warm-up enrich mode; is that when the car starts up cold and sounds weird and then just sounds normal after a few seconds?

Grey BMW car // nice red interior // little screen with map that gives me directions // 2 doors // 6 cylinders // wheels with spokes // transmission that shifts itself // NOT RWD // gray springs that kinda lower the car, not the original black ones // cool sunroof // black roof with racks to put bicycles and maybe coffins // darker than factory windows // black kidneys // cool blue round lights in the front
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 04:00 AM   #90
micah_675
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Garage List
2024 M2  [0.00]
Enrich mode? Maybe you need to learn about how O2 sensors work man....

As I said before, check your plugs. Look up pictures of what a normally worn spark plug looks like. If you were running rich you would smell gas in your exhaust which you have stated you do not. The only other option would be injectors. (your maf could be going bad but you would more than likely idle terribly).
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #91
micah_675
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Garage List
2024 M2  [0.00]
You need to take an oil sample and get it analyzed. It would be able to tell if your car has had Leaded fuel ran through it.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #92
soflop
3o5
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_675 View Post
Enrich mode? Maybe you need to learn about how O2 sensors work man....

As I said before, check your plugs. Look up pictures of what a normally worn spark plug looks like. If you were running rich you would smell gas in your exhaust which you have stated you do not. The only other option would be injectors. (your maf could be going bad but you would more than likely idle terribly).
I know exactly how o2 sensors work. And I also know how to bench test one, which not many people do. I wonder what gave you the idea that I didn't know? I also know what fouled plugs look like. Its not giving faulty MAF symptoms. And if the case is that the MAF was bad, I'll definitely get the MIL due to mixture issues. I still think it has to do with the trans. or an ECU issue

Grey BMW car // nice red interior // little screen with map that gives me directions // 2 doors // 6 cylinders // wheels with spokes // transmission that shifts itself // NOT RWD // gray springs that kinda lower the car, not the original black ones // cool sunroof // black roof with racks to put bicycles and maybe coffins // darker than factory windows // black kidneys // cool blue round lights in the front
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #93
Kikken
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soflop View Post
And I also know how to bench test one, which not many people do. I wonder what gave you the idea that I didn't know?
You answered your own question in the previous sentence.

At one point, someone in this thread said "I think we're just being trolled." I'm starting to agree with that person.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #94
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Im only geting 19.x on the 128 loaner manual.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 10:03 PM   #95
soflop
3o5
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikken View Post
You answered your own question in the previous sentence.

At one point, someone in this thread said "I think we're just being trolled." I'm starting to agree with that person.
troll...

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #96
soflop
3o5
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
so after all the shit talking and trolling thats been going on in this thread by assholes who dont know jack shit about cars, and after a couple of months, my fuel issue seems to be coming to a halt. last fuel up i got 17.5 mpg and the previous fuel up, I got almost 16mpg. and by the looks of it (according to trip odo and fuel gauge), this one should get me at least 18mpg. It seems to be a contaminated fuel system, cause its gradually getting better. The only fuel I pumped was 93 octane Cheveron; seems to be doing the trick.

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #97
BimmerRob
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: F36 435i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by soflop View Post
so after all the shit talking and trolling thats been going on in this thread by assholes who dont know jack shit about cars, and after a couple of months, my fuel issue seems to be coming to a halt. last fuel up i got 17.5 mpg and the previous fuel up, I got almost 16mpg. and by the looks of it (according to trip odo and fuel gauge), this one should get me at least 18mpg. It seems to be a contaminated fuel system, cause its gradually getting better. The only fuel I pumped was 93 octane Cheveron; seems to be doing the trick.
I think I need to get mine checked too. I'm getting a dismal 14mpg in city, but my car's only a year old. avg. 35.6mpg on highway at 65mph around 2,300 rpm. I'm not smashing it in the city either... 91 octane after a fresh fuel change.

2010 e92 Mojave Metallic - farewell old friend /2013
2015 435i xDrive Gran Coupe Sparkling Brown | Cocaine White interior | JB4 | BMS Intake | Wagner Intercooler Evo I | VRSF Downpipes | ER Chargepipes
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #98
soflop
3o5
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92hobear View Post
I think I need to get mine checked too. I'm getting a dismal 14mpg in city, but my car's only a year old. avg. 35.6mpg on highway at 65mph around 2,300 rpm. I'm not smashing it in the city either... 91 octane after a fresh fuel change.
Did you buy this car used? If so, how long have you had it?

Appreciate 0