E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Anyone with Satellite radio installed aftermarket in e90 w/o sat prep?

11-12-2006, 10:56 PM   #1
Dann902
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Audi A3 TDI/Lotus Gray

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Anyone with Satellite radio installed aftermarket in e90 w/o sat prep?

I'm in a predicament. I got a CPO 330i but it wasn't optioned with the satellite prep (at least that's what the print out from the dealer states for the VIN#). I would love to have the factory SIRIUS receiver so that I can use the existing shark fin antenna and stock headunit, which gives a clean look to both interior and exterior. I have read about the DIY from loopsandsounds about getting the OEM SIRIUS receiver installed in non sat prep e90s. Sounds like an option, but the receiver is $495. I was wondering if anyone has put in a SIRIUS plug and play unit or controller(e.g. Starmate, Sportster). I bought the new Stilleto and finally got the car kit for it, but I've been hesitant about the install because it won't be clean looking. I'll also have to have the satellite antenna installed as well and it would look kinda stupid to have it next to the shark fin. Just wondering if any of you out there have actually installed an aftermarket satellite radio in your e90. I have tried doing a search in our forum as well as Sirius Backstage, but no luck in finding a good example. Also, I just want to add, that I got the Stilleto car kit from Best Buy and I spoke to the install guy who happened to used to work for a BMW Service Center. He told me that I could still get the OEM SIRIUS receiver installed in my car and use the existing headunit to control even without the sat prep. I had a hard time believing that. Does anyone know if that is true? Anyhow, thanks for anyone's input or advice. I just want to see any examples out there. I miss my SIRIUS
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2006, 11:16 PM   #2
Dann902
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
No one out there has aftermarket satellite radio installed in their e90?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2006, 11:40 PM   #3
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
no i think most people here that have done this have just kind of preped and installed the sat radio in the car themselves. but dont take my word on this one. just what i think from previous threads a while ago
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2007, 09:38 PM   #4
NCDC07
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Silver 07 328i

I actualy did the install today on my sirius starmate. I followed the DIY for the sunglass tray, and improvised for the sat. i didnt want to do the $700 job due to the fact I like the 30 presets and the pause button. I am not saying I wont do it, but for now I dont mind this set-up
I also wire tapped the power to the lighter. PERFECT FIT!

I think it came out pretty well. took me about 1 hour.

Name:  starmate.jpg
Views: 1412
Size:  115.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 02:29 AM   #5
Dann902
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDC07 View Post
I actualy did the install today on my sirius starmate. I followed the DIY for the sunglass tray, and improvised for the sat. i didnt want to do the $700 job due to the fact I like the 30 presets and the pause button. I am not saying I wont do it, but for now I dont mind this set-up
I also wire tapped the power to the lighter. PERFECT FIT!

I think it came out pretty well. took me about 1 hour.

Attachment 91805
Thanks for sharing your info. Your set up looks great! Since I posted this, I had already put in my Sirius Stiletto and had it hard wired for power and also had the FM direct connection put in. I'll try to post some pics of this in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2007, 08:59 PM   #6
NCDC07
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Silver 07 328i

Some follow-up, I was able to do to the DIY for the sunglass holder, and the starmate fits flush, plus I ran the antenna to the front drivers side. I know its not the factory install, but I still like it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0