E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Why is it cool that exotic car exhaust notes basically sound whiny like motorcycles?

03-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #67
pwhipple06
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 330xi

I personally like all different types for different reasons. Every single engine can be ruined and made to sound like garbage. But they can also be tuned to bring the car to the next level. I actually like to try and guess a car/motorcycle by its exhaust before it goes by my house (I live in the woods so I can't see the vehicle until it goes by my driveway...too many trees). Subaru's are the easiest because they are so distinct. Here is some RANDOM sounds that I enjoy for various reasons.

Well tuned 4 Banger- the guy jiggles the shat out of the camera

An impressive flat 4-lauch at 33 is nice...

A flat 6-Good stuff starts a 30 seconds...

A sweet V6-With a sweet beeping clicker...

Inline 6 Rasp FTW

BMW Performance Exhaust-Simple but great!

I love me an obnoxious V8:

A high strung V10

The ridiculous squeal and pop of rotary-my buddy has a Mazda rx8 and it sounds sssssoooo much better in person...

A screamin’ bike

'95 4.0 V6 Explorer 160 hp (Sold) '98 2.9 I6 S90 181 hp (Totaled)
'93 7.3 V8 F350 Dually 360 lb·ft (Current) '06 3.0 I6 E90 330xi 255 hp (Current)

E9x Pic Game: 3pt : Gone fishin', Gone Campin', TDF Honorin'

Last edited by pwhipple06; 03-14-2011 at 04:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #68
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlouie87 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherchenm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro View Post
these are easily the best itt, imo
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #69
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

I read the first post and stopped there....well the thing is that I've never heard a car that sounded like a bike. Also there are not many ways an high reving engine can sound. When you redline them it's like when your are emptying your lungs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #70
tarheel91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ESS Z4 3.0i

Simply put, high RPM means high frequency. Producing the same torque at higher RPMs means more power and a faster car. A high pitched car is usually a fast car. They sound like motorcycles because motorcycles also rev to ridiculous RPMs.

I don't understand why people love V8s over everything else. A V8 has an uneven exhaust cycle that sounds very burbly. A V12, on the other hand, has a perfectly smooth exhaust cycle, and sounds lovely.

Harleys are the worst. You basically get that sound by tuning the engine poorly. Your Harley literally sounds slow.

Edit: To put it another way, we associate high pitched exhaust/engine notes with being very fast, that's why people like them.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 05:07 PM   #71
Jbs
The Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC BSM/Black extended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel91 View Post
Simply put, high RPM means high frequency. Producing the same torque at higher RPMs means more power and a faster car. A high pitched car is usually a fast car. They sound like motorcycles because motorcycles also rev to ridiculous RPMs.

I don't understand why people love V8s over everything else. A V8 has an uneven exhaust cycle that sounds very burbly. A V12, on the other hand, has a perfectly smooth exhaust cycle, and sounds lovely.

Harleys are the worst. You basically get that sound by tuning the engine poorly. Your Harley literally sounds slow.

Edit: To put it another way, we associate high pitched exhaust/engine notes with being very fast, that's why people like them.
QFT.

John Batte Photography / Flickr / Facebook
2007 ///M Coupe BSM/Black Extended/Loaded | RPi GT Exhaust w/custom gloss black tips | KW V3 | Michelin PSS 245/265 | Pinnacle F1 Tint 35% | ZHP Shift Knob
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #72
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Two days back in the evening, I saw a F458 Italia. Oh my God, it is so DAMN beautiful.
Anyway, he took a U turn and floored.........Oh God the sound is just mesmerizing

And NO op, I politely disagree with you. In the video's, a high revving car and bike have resembling sounds but in reality, a high revving v8/v10/v12 sound something out of this world.
      03-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #73
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

The loudest motorcycle lacks a full bodied sound. It's just an intensely high frequency pitch that is piercing. A CGT or F458 or any other "high pitched" high revving exotic car is much louder across low and high frequencies. If a 458 floored it as you stood right next it, you would feel it vibrate and shake your internal organs. Motorcycles don't do that unless they are big harleys or something. You really can't compare a 4 stroke 2 cylinder engine that revs to 13-14k or whatever to a 10 cylinder engine that is only a little bit smaller in bore/per cylinder that revs to 9k rpm.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 09:02 PM   #74
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

I have a friend who's just running straight pipes and that thing sounds like a monster in tunnels. I'll record it tomorrow and put it up.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #75
tarheel91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ESS Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
The loudest motorcycle lacks a full bodied sound. It's just an intensely high frequency pitch that is piercing. A CGT or F458 or any other "high pitched" high revving exotic car is much louder across low and high frequencies. If a 458 floored it as you stood right next it, you would feel it vibrate and shake your internal organs. Motorcycles don't do that unless they are big harleys or something. You really can't compare a 4 stroke 2 cylinder engine that revs to 13-14k or whatever to a 10 cylinder engine that is only a little bit smaller in bore/per cylinder that revs to 9k rpm.
Vibration and shaking your internal organs are a product of bass, not amount of air moved. That is why you never hear it from a sport bike. Also, 2 cylinder sport bike? Really? The great majority are I4s.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #76
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911

best 4cyl sound

My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.
Appreciate 0