E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Seeking advice: First time buyer, 328xi wagon or 355d?

08-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
countersurfer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i E91

Red face Seeking advice: First time buyer, 328xi wagon or 355d?

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking in the last few weeks but got brave enough to make my first post.

I'm currently searching for a used 3-series AWD wagon or a 335d, and have found a few online within my price range. I live in the frigid Minnesota and do mostly city driving. I usually don't drive much at all—my 15-y-o car has 100k miles on it. That might change when I get a BMW!

I actually hadn't considered the diesel earlier in my search because I thought they were supposed to be much more expensive to buy and to maintain. Now, I'm seeing a couple of 2009-ish 335d that are $26-29k with about 30-50k miles on them, which could possibly make viable contenders in my search. My heart is really in the wagon style, but since the one I found is AWD with bummer MPG (at least the EPA numbers...not sure about real world), I could totally live with the sedan diesel for the efficiency.

What I'm wondering about is the cost of maintenance of the diesel. I've been reading all over the forums and reviews, and the information about the reliability and the cost to fix the 335d varies so much. I've read that diesel is only recommended if one drives a lot on the highway, and that it requires a lot of maintenance to keep it healthy and long-lasting—not a passive simple driver's car, but a mechanically-savvy person's car. That scared me a bit. I think I'm also carrying (possibly) irrelevant fear that was instilled by friends with VW and Audi TDIs that had required catastrophic out-of-pocket repairs within a year or two of purchase. In comparison, from what I could find, the 328xi wagon seems to be relatively maintenance-/heartbreak-free?

In any case, I'm trying to limit down my search to one model! If I drive mostly in the city—but often in inclement weather—and MPG is important to me, should I stick with the wagon, or spring for the diesel? MPG used to be *a lot* more important to me in the early days of my search, but I've made a total exception for BMW. :P However, the MPG of the AWD wagon that I've found is pretty low to me...so I do prefer the RW if I can find one!

While I'm not entirely new to BMWs in general (childhood family car, SO has an ancient 5-series wagon), I have zero DIY skills or capabilities, so I can't save any $$$ in repairs.

Coming from an unkillable and rock solid Honda Accord that I've had my entire adulthood, I'm a bit scared of reliability/cost for repair, but I'm ready for my little BMW now! Although I'm a crunchy greenie who was looking at Subies and Acura TSX wagon until a couple weeks ago, I just decided that I want something different this time.

Thanks for any input, and apologies for the length!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
I am a huge diesel fan, and have owned many from Peugeot, VW, and Mercedes-Benz. But one thing gives me pause here - you have only driven 100K in 15 years! So sure, the diesel will do better than the 328XiT, but with such minimal driving, does it matter? I get 30mpg on the highway with my 328iT, the 335D will do at best 10mpg better, with about the same difference in the city. The diesel is a bit faster, but the 328i is already a pretty rapid car - don't let the turbo contingent on here convince you otherwise. The diesel WILL cost more to maintain, and while I personally am in no way a fan of AWD, that is a possible concern for you as well - you can't get an AWD 335d. I'm a wagon guy, and a manual transmission guy, so for me there was no question of which version to buy. The wagon is just so much more useful.

Now if BMW sees fit to bring the f31 here with the diesel, especially the MUCH more economical four cylinder diesel, I may have to trade cars. But I drive more than 20K a year.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Come to the DIESEL forum and you will see what we have amigo, Trust you wont go wrong with a DIESEL!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

I've only had my '11 335d for about two weeks, but I'm already in love with it. Power for DAYS, and I still get 27-28mpg city and 41mpg highway (at 80mph) when I keep my foot out of it. Shortly after I got it, I had to take it in for a recall (emissions stuff), and got a 2011 328xi as a loaner. I was actually amazed that it was noisier than the d, and it also felt much slower in normal driving than the 2000 323i I traded in.

Get the diesel. It's just an amazing car. So much so that I barely miss my manual trans. I do miss it, but not as much as I feared.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
If I drive mostly in the city—but often in inclement weather
The technology of the 335d's pollution equipment does not favor mostly city driving. The car is equipped with a DPF (diesel particulate filter) that captures most of the soot from the exhaust, and periodically burns off the soot in a "regen cycle".

The regen cycle (ideally) occurs at highway speeds, so driving the car in primarily city cycles might tend to cause you to have more problems with the DPF as time goes on.

Also, the way our d's are set up, you get your best mpg improvement on the highway, although you'll still get pretty darn good mpg in town.

One more thought: our d's are torque monsters, meaning they have tremendous power off the line. This car be disadvantageous in the winter. The xi of course won't have this problem.

As others suggested, spend some time in the diesel forum, you'll get plenty more advice from our ragtag group!
      09-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #6
countersurfer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i E91

Thank you all for your replies! In the last month since I posted, I ended up finding a '09 328i wagon (not xDrive) that really stole my heart (long-distance, no less!)...neither an AWD nor diesel, but I figured I could do the snow tire thing and it will be OK. Right now, I'm currently awaiting for it's imminent arrival...the transport truck should arrive in an hour or so!

I really, really wished that the wagon got a bit better MPG, but theoretically it'll be better than AWD in that regard, so I'll try to get over it. Like krhodes1 said, it probably won't make much difference in terms of the cost of gas; I wanted to be as "green" as possible, but I will (and do!) make it up in other ways!

Thank you all for your advice!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
omerfar23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335i, 2008 335i e92

Good luck.. post some pics when you can.
      12-11-2012, 03:20 AM   #8
Faceofboe
Rep
Drives: 328xi Sport Wagon

328xi

Well, I have a 2011 328xi Wagon. I bought it in Germany so it has experienced the Autobahn, and now is in Texas enjoying roads at 70+mph. The car hugs the road like there is no tomorrow (17-inch run flats all-season).

I get a combined 20.8 mpg with mostly highway driving. It does not do well in the city. I'd say about 17mpg. I'm currently looking at the X1 because I want a turbo engine, the the upgraded 8-speed transmission.

The car has room, with rear seats that fold flat. It oozes quality all-around. My wife has the Q5 and even she says that the BMW is built solid.

For mileage sake, I'd probably go with a diesel.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceofboe View Post
Well, I have a 2011 328xi Wagon. I bought it in Germany so it has experienced the Autobahn, and now is in Texas enjoying roads at 70+mph. The car hugs the road like there is no tomorrow (17-inch run flats all-season).

I get a combined 20.8 mpg with mostly highway driving. It does not do well in the city. I'd say about 17mpg. I'm currently looking at the X1 because I want a turbo engine, the the upgraded 8-speed transmission.

The car has room, with rear seats that fold flat. It oozes quality all-around. My wife has the Q5 and even she says that the BMW is built solid.

For mileage sake, I'd probably go with a diesel.
Wait a couple more months and you can get an F31 3-series wagon with turbo and 8spd. Supposedly that is the only way they are coming, which sucks for those of us that want a manual.

I am surprised you are doing so poorly mpg-wise, I do not have a light foot, but I average 25mpg with nearly 30 easily achievable on a highway trip at 75-80. But mine is a non-Xdrive manual.

Heck, I got 25mpg on the Autobahn with mine, averaged 105mph between Stuttgart and Berlin. If only we could get non-cornified gas where I am!

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
N54King
King of the road
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

congrats on the 3! you'll love it !