E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > System sounding Great but have rattle in Mid-Bass

07-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #1
tmac01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

System sounding Great but have rattle in Mid-Bass

So finally after tons of calibrating and numerous posts and help from Kaigoss,Jeffb,Kayza,Technic and many others on this board my system in my E90 sounds Awesome just phenomenal except for two issues with my Kicker SBM8's mid-bass under seat speakers. I am running the XD 600/6 amp and the MS- 8 processor and I am running my system using Kaigoss's mod which brought out the mids and with a change in my sub and sub amp it sounds great but here is the two issues:
1. The passenger side mid-bass is not as loud as the drivers side(I can live with this but it's still not right)
2. THE BIG PROBLEM ! When I play heavy mid-bass music at louder levels (not real loud just louder) the drivers side mid-bass speaker makes a buzzing sound almost like it's touching something sounds bad. The speakers are installed with JT-Sherris spacers and have the correct adapters.

So here is what I've done to try and fix the problem:
1. Cut the carpet correctly
2. Put some spacers on my actual seat to be sure it's not touching the seat
3. Lowered the level of the mid-bass on my amp
4. Just turn the bass down on the MS-8 (this works but takes away the great sound it has with it up a little)
Also, My MS-8 just turns off from time to time but then it comes back on and plays fine just can't figure that out either and didn't know if these two issues were related. Any help is appreciated and for the record here are my settings:
MS-8 is at around 160hz (components)
Sub-70hz
Have the LP on and set at around 11 o'clock and 220hz on the mid-bass.
Comps on amp have the Hi-Pass on and level around 11 o'clock as well.

Thanks !!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

The passenger side mid bass is always attenuated. Don't ask me why, I've asked JBL and just got back a generic answer about it being part of the tune. In my mind, it should be at least as loud as the drivers side.

Your rattle could be due to a blown driver. Run it without the grille and if it still makes those noises it's probably a goner.
      07-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
bfoolish1339
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Alpine White

Glad to hear its sounding better. Did u keep the ms8?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
jeffb335
Rep
Drives: BMW

could be anything.....from some random plastic piece buzzing to a blown speaker or many things in between.

Pull out the seat and get your ears, eyes, and hands in there, take things apart until you find the issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 12:11 AM   #5
tmac01
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335 View Post
could be anything.....from some random plastic piece buzzing to a blown speaker or many things in between.

Pull out the seat and get your ears, eyes, and hands in there, take things apart until you find the issue.
I've pulled the seat out 3 times and have done all that I guess I can live with it as it still sounds amazing best sounding system I've ever had and everyone gets in my car and says " this system sounds so clean and clear" and that's what I was going for. My big issue which Kaigoss figured put was that my stealth sub box was too big for my JL W3 10" sub. I picked up a super clean Alpine R type 10"sub for $40 which I knew could take more air space and WOW it sounded so amazing. The great thing is I can put any kind of music in my system and it sounds great just wished that speaker didn't rattle. Thanks again !
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 12:14 AM   #6
tmac01
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoolish1339 View Post
Glad to hear its sounding better. Did u keep the ms8?
Sure did it just took a lot of trial and error and a few changes in equipment but Kaigoss's mod was the biggest difference it brought the complete sound together and the rest was matching levels with the hidden menu then changing my sub and BAM !!!!! Absolute angelic mid thumping super clean audio. Turn the MS-8 off and it sounds average. I'm glad I hung in there and thanks for all your advice and phone calls : )
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Curious. What system did u start w and how thick are your spacers?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #8
tmac01
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
I started with the hi-fi system and I'm using Jt Sherri's spacers I would need to measure them.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
tmac01
Private First Class
Rep

I did find out one thing it's not the kickers as I switched the signals and sure enough the passenger mid-bass speaker started making that noise. I just know this started when I did Kaigoss's mod but then again until I did that mod I had no mid-bass. It sounds good but I drive with caution all the time waiting for that buzz sound or distortion sound to come through : ( I so wish I could fix this it would be the final piece of a long long puzzle.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #10
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac01
Quote:
I started with the hi-fi system and I'm using Jt Sherri's spacers I would need to measure them.
Ok disregard. Just wanted to make sure. Bc the default size spacer is too small if you have BASE STEREO
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #11
tmac01
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Ok disregard. Just wanted to make sure. Bc the default size spacer is too small if you have BASE STEREO
It really sucks as when I put any bass music in my system it rattles. I just got out of the car and had Jay Z's new cd in and it would rattle. If I lower the mid bass channels on the 600/6 amp it helps but then I lose Mid-Bass. I wish I could break this problem down and fix it all I know is it only does it with Kaigoss's mod if I set the MS-8 up without it then it doesn't rattle.... What gives : ( Also my MS-8 just cuts off all the time I'll be jamming then it cuts off and re-boots and the stereo keeps playing. Today I was moving the treble, bass and mids on the MS-8 and nothing was happening so I disconnected the display and it reset then they tones worked after that ! Well when it's working it sounds amazing I just need to pray my MS-8 isn't going bad and fix that issue and really fix the buzz issue. If anyone has had these problems any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0