E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Fixing things yourself (DIY) while still under CPO warranty.

04-07-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Low&Slow

Fixing things yourself (DIY) while still under CPO warranty.

I just recently came out my 4 year / 50k maintenance period, and still have CPO coverage. My breaks are squeaking very badly, and I plan on potentially changing the pads myself. I know that during maintenance period, BMW wants you to do everything with them, which is fine because it's all free. Now that they don't pay for it, I can do these small things myself.

If I do change the pads myself, and something happens with my breaks in the future, will BMW say that it's my fault because I didn't change the breaks? If I changed my own oil, and something happened to my engine in the future, would BMW say that it was my fault because I didn't change the oil, and not fix my problem? I'm just really confused on how this whole process works.

Thanks in advance for any help, I really appreciate it.

Montego Blue 2007 E92 335i - ZSP / ZPP / Steptronic / Logic7
Broadway Static - CCW - Megan - Orion
Instagram: bmwforlife

Last edited by EDM92; 04-07-2011 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
Yes they'll probably say it wasn't done by a bmw certified shop and wont do related cpo warranty work.
      04-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKV122 View Post
Yes they'll probably say it wasn't done by a bmw certified shop and wont do related cpo warranty work.
So as long as I take it to a BMW certified shop, I should be good? There are BMW certified shops that are not dealerships, correct? Thanks for the help.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
Better off taking it to the dealer if your that concerned about things not being covered by CPO, this way its in BMW's system and records you got it done by them.
I did one oil change at the dealer thinking the same thing with the CPO but $140 for a oil change when i can do it my self for $90, made me hope for the best and my car has been good for all the time I've had it.
      04-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKV122 View Post
Better off taking it to the dealer if your that concerned about things not being covered by CPO, this way its in BMW's system and records you got it done by them.
I did one oil change at the dealer thinking the same thing with the CPO but $140 for a oil change when i can do it my self for $90, made me hope for the best and my car has been good for all the time I've had it.
Good point. I think I am rightfully worried though, the N54 has so many problems. I wouldn't worry as much with a 330.

Can anyone else chime in with some helpful information?

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Epic thread revival, but I'm still more curious:

Let's take my June 2013 break fluid change, for example (I think that falls within free maintenance, but ignore that, let's say it doesn't).

A dealer wants a couple hundred, I can do it myself much cheaper for relatively little strife on my part. I'd rather do that.

I do the DIY and reset the service indicator (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...reset+computer)

Now, BMW would say that the breaks are now not covered under CPO. Presumably, if I changed the oil myself, the engine wouldn't be under CPO, etc etc.

BUT, what's the criterion for that? Are all CPO shops and dealerships on the same system such that the service record can be looked up and I can be denied a warranty claim on those grounds? I'd love to change my fluids myself instead of paying someone $100/hr to do the same, but will I definitely get screwed that way?

Better question: Have you changed your oil yourself, reset the service indicator, then subsequently had a warranty claim denied, or some similar story?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
Krells
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Save your receipts. They cannot deny warranty claims as long as you use OEM or parts/fluids that meet their specifications (and follow recommended maintenance schedules).
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krells View Post
Save your receipts. They cannot deny warranty claims as long as you use OEM or parts/fluids that meet their specifications (and follow recommended maintenance schedules).
Oh now I LOVE the sound of that! Any anecdotes about a claim being upheld on those grounds?
Appreciate 0