E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Looking for a new estate

06-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Looking for a new estate

Our trusty Volvo V70 is going back very soon and I need something to replace it. The V70 has been a Motability car for my disabled son, we have had it for nearly 3 1/2 years. Its been a great car, very comfortable, loads of room and it is actually one of the best cars we have had the pleasure of driving. My son is shortly getting a wheelchair accessible VW Caddy Maxi, more appropriate for his needs, so that leaves us in a position where we need an estate car for wife, me, occasional grown up kids and dogs.

I have thought long and hard what to do. The 640d is virtually unusable now, I am shortly starting a job in London and weekly commuting by train, and although Mrs can use the 640d to get to work, the dogs are persona non grata ! I would love to return the BMW now but the lease conditions mean that I am stuck with it until March next year. So new estate required, criteria being large and automatic! Sensible head says buy cheap Passat DSG/Mondeo auto, but I think we need something more appropriate!

Looked at used Audi A6 Avant Multitronic, but advice is avoid due to weak gearbox. Nearly new high spec Mondeos and Passats are stupid money. So have started looking at new, but as always with a v tight budget. I will look at contract hire and also PCP. So , some of the contenders:

- new shape Skoda Octavia estate (DSG elegance) can be had for £250/month on contract hire - great spec but not big enough in the boot.

- Skoda Superb estate (DSG TDI elegance) - cheapest quote I had was £420/month for a new one

- BMW 5 Series Touring - not even worth asking as the deals are crap and the discounts poor.

- Mercedes E Class estate - some cracking deals and lots of discount.

This is the (PCP) deal currently awaiting the Mrs approval, new shape/facelift E220 CDI estate AMG Sport auto in Tenorite Grey and privacy glass (standard spec includes COMAND, half leather, heated seats, parktronic etc etc). I put £2000 in and it is £352/month for 3 years - thats an 18% discount. It's just like this one:

So before I commit, is there any other ideas?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
xs2man
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F11 530d M-Sport

Yeah, PM me the complete specs of the Merc, and how many miles per year on the deal, etc... So I can go get one of them, lol.

Only joking. If I'd read this earlier, before I just paid for next years warranty, I may have considered chopping in the 335d for one of these now it's 3 years old, and I could save a fair chunk per month...

Okay, maybe not as quick right enough. Or as nice sat-nav. But bigger, and new, so would easily have seen that deposit back in the 3 years warranty and monthly savings...

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
Steed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 2009

Nice choice, it depends whats included in the PCP, but looks reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steed View Post
Not sure what you mean by 'what's included in the PCP'? The figures are £38456 (including Metallic and 7G auto), £6780 discount and deposit contribution, £2000 more from me, 10,000 miles pa, 36 months @ £352 and a GMFV of £20,000 with an APR of 4.6%. The future value looks very high to me but the cheapest 3 year old E class sport estate is about £23K on the MB used site. If i hand it back after 3 years with no equity, so be it. Excess mileage is something like 6ppm + VAT. The Volvo has 17000 miles on it after 3.5 years, so mileage unikely to be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

How the frick do Mercedes make money? They practically give their cars away on PCP deals.

can think of nicer estates but I can't think of any that will cost less new.
      06-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

[QUOTE=peterg1965]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steed View Post

Not sure what you mean by 'what's included in the PCP'? The figures are 38456 (including Metallic and 7G auto), 6780 discount and deposit contribution, 2000 more from me, 10,000 miles pa, 36 months @ 352 and a GMFV of 20,000 with an APR of 4.6%. The future value looks very high to me but the cheapest 3 year old E class sport estate is about 23K on the MB used site. If i hand it back after 3 years with no equity, so be it. Excess mileage is something like 6ppm + VAT. The Volvo has 17000 miles on it after 3.5 years, so mileage unikely to be an issue.
Hey Pete,

When I started reading your post I was going to suggest a new Merc as the deals are so good at the mo. I reckon you could push them for a bit more discount, Dtd are doing over £7k off plus the Merc contribution. I managed to beat the Dtd money off (14% plus the deposit contribution) by about £1k so I would push them harder. Another £1k off is £30 a month which brings your monthly to £322 :-)
      06-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

[QUOTE=scottc;14178117]
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965
Hey Pete,

When I started reading your post I was going to suggest a new Merc as the deals are so good at the mo. I reckon you could push them for a bit more discount, Dtd are doing over £7k off plus the Merc contribution. I managed to beat the Dtd money off (14% plus the deposit contribution) by about £1k so I would push them harder. Another £1k off is £30 a month which brings your monthly to £322 :-)
Hi Scott, the DtD discount is a fraction over £7000, I thought this includes the £3400 dealer deposit contribution, is that not the case? This deal from a dealer in Dorset gives a discount of £6800, I thought that was really good, even better if they include the privacy glass for free.

Have you got a Mercedes contact?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
xs2man
Captain
Rep

[QUOTE=scottc;14178117]
Quote:
Hey Pete,

Who / What is this DTD?

I was gonna pop into my Merc dealer on Wednesday now after seeing this. To see if they can beat peters quote (or at least match it). I've got another money saving thing going on, so I'm trying to get as close as I can to getting enough money off to get me into a new Golf GTI too, so the more I can bargain with here, the better.

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

DtD is Drive the deal, Internet new car broker.

The quotes from here generally give a target price to aim for for a new car.

http://www.drivethedeal.com/default.asp?vans=false
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #10
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

[QUOTE=peterg1965]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post
Quote:
Hey Pete,

Hi Scott, the DtD discount is a fraction over 7000, I thought this includes the 3400 dealer deposit contribution, is that not the case? This deal from a dealer in Dorset gives a discount of 6800, I thought that was really good, even better if they include the privacy glass for free.

Hey Peter,

No it doesn't, the finance contribution is on top of that. Price one up and go to the price page, you will see at the end it talks about Merc finance and the contribution.

My car was £5600 off on Dtd plus £2283 for the deposit contribution, I managed to get £6500 off plus the deposit contribution. My cars list was over £40k and with my £2k in is coming out at under £30k :-)

On pcp its around £400 but my gfv is over £2k less so that would reduce it to £330 going on your figures.. I have gone for the c250 coupe with all the options (except command have Becker instead)
      06-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #11
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
DtD is Drive the deal, Internet new car broker.

The quotes from here generally give a target price to aim for for a new car.

http://www.drivethedeal.com/default.asp?vans=false
What he he said!! :-)

The other one is broadspeed, very good for BMWs
      06-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #12
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

[QUOTE=peterg1965]
Quote:
Quote:
Hey Pete,

Hi Scott, the DtD discount is a fraction over 7000, I thought this includes the 3400 dealer deposit contribution, is that not the case? This deal from a dealer in Dorset gives a discount of 6800, I thought that was really good, even better if they include the privacy glass for free.

Here is the txt

Mercedes provides a finance deposit allowance should you decide to take out finance with them. If you would like a finance quote, utilising this money from Mercedes, then please take a quote for the car and then click the “Manufacturer Finance†button and request a quote online. We will then telephone you back to give you some figures utilising this money from Mercedes.
      06-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #13
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

[QUOTE=scottc;14178341]
Quote:
Here is the txt

Mercedes provides a finance deposit allowance should you decide to take out finance with them. If you would like a finance quote, utilising this money from Mercedes, then please take a quote for the car and then click the “Manufacturer Finance†button and request a quote online. We will then telephone you back to give you some figures utilising this money from Mercedes.
Thanks Scott. Looks like that is tomorrow's little job then! I'll start with calling DtD and see where it takes me, although their prices do state that it is for end of June delivery and I want the car for September. At this rate a monthly price of less than £300 is possible, that would be very very good!

Which Merc dealer did you deal with?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #14
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

[QUOTE=peterg1965]
Quote:
Quote:
Here is the txt

Mercedes provides a finance deposit allowance should you decide to take out finance with them. If you would like a finance quote, utilising this money from Mercedes, then please take a quote for the car and then click the €œManufacturer Finance€ button and request a quote online. We will then telephone you back to give you some figures utilising this money from Mercedes.
Thanks Scott. Looks like that is tomorrow's little job then! I'll start with calling DtD and see where it takes me, although their prices do state that it is for end of June delivery and I want the car for September. At this rate a monthly price of less than 300 is possible, that would be very very good!

Which Merc dealer did you deal with?
Pete, I did see that but I reckon you will get a deal regardless. I was all set to go with Dtd until Greenoaks in Reading beat it, even the guy at dtd told me to go for it!!

More than happy to give you my contact. I think you will get it cheaper,£300 would be a result.
      06-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #15
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

[QUOTE=scottc;14178417]
Quote:
Pete, I did see that but I reckon you will get a deal regardless. I was all set to go with Dtd until Greenoaks in Reading beat it, even the guy at dtd told me to go for it!!

More than happy to give you my contact. I think you will get it cheaper,£300 would be a result.
Scott, your contact would be much appreciated, could you PM me please?
I'll be on the case first thing tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #16
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

[QUOTE=peterg1965]
Quote:
Quote:

PM sent, speak to to Dtd though as I think they might be your best bet.. Let me know how you get on
      06-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #17
quattrogmbh
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

From experience with Mercedes Finance on an E350CDI, be very very careful. The Balloon values are hugely exaggerated. They want the cars back at the end of the term to feed their approved used.

As an example, at 2 years in, of a 3yr deal, my car was already getting trade in bids 2K less than the balloon.

If you treat it as a contract hire then its a good deal, but don't for one second think you'll end up with any equity in the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #18
xs2man
Captain
Rep

[QUOTE=peterg1965;14178464]
Quote:

Keep us updated please. I would like to know how you get on. I would definitely be interested to hear what deal you might manage to swing, before I go to the dealer on Wednesday.

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 12:25 AM   #19
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrogmbh View Post
From experience with Mercedes Finance on an E350CDI, be very very careful. The Balloon values are hugely exaggerated. They want the cars back at the end of the term to feed their approved used.

As an example, at 2 years in, of a 3yr deal, my car was already getting trade in bids 2K less than the balloon.

If you treat it as a contract hire then its a good deal, but don't for one second think you'll end up with any equity in the car.
I absolutely concur and would be going in with eyes wide open. The residual value is very high at just over 50% of list price and about 66% of discounted price after 3 years. The best I could hope for is managing to trade the car after 3 years with virtually no equity but avoiding having to return it through MB finance, whose defleet/return standards are often 'problematic'.

It would be akin to contract hire but with the benefit of being able to settle mid term, I think I prefer PCP to PCH.

[QUOTE=xs2man;14178961]
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post

Keep us updated please. I would like to know how you get on. I would definitely be interested to hear what deal you might manage to swing, before I go to the dealer on Wednesday.
Will do.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 02:01 AM   #20
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrogmbh View Post

I had the same problem with my 911, some garages were offering me 2k less than the gfv after 3 years (at 20 months). My gfv on the coupe is not that bad, the car was £40k and the gfv us £18000 so less than 50%. I am actually only financing 11k so worse case i pay it off and hand it back after 2 years. £5k a year to lose on a new car to me is acceptable especially when you compare it against my Porsche which lost £22k in 20 months :-o
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 07:04 AM   #21
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
E63 AMG?? You've obviously not spotted Mike's thread on the main forum . Scroll to page 2 for the deal. Go on, you know you want too

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854078
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 08:09 AM   #22
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I don't think Pete could handle the fuel bill
Appreciate 0