E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Winter driving

01-18-2007, 04:03 PM   #45
DowntownBMW
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww
That's something I want to know, too. I guessed that I would probably have to make two trips.
i managed to fit 4 wheels and 4 tires separately once on a sedan e46
dont know about the coupe though

bmw does not recommend using tires for more than 5 or 6 years, so ten years will be a long stretch!

and yeah, come spring i definitely wont be procrastinating to get on my summer wheels and tires, they are 230s, i have not driven on them yet, as i drove out of the dealer lot with the winters

it will be like getting a new car in march! yummy!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 05:16 PM   #46
asdfaa
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBMW

it will be like getting a new car in march! yummy!

hahah i feel the exact same way! i cant wait to get my summers on
Ruby Black - Individual | Saddle Brown leather | Bamboo Trim | M Sport Package |
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 05:38 PM   #47
badash
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Just out of curiosity, when are most guys making the switch from winters to summer rubber. I know at least in the past in Edmonton, its warmed up and the roads are decent and then we still get a dump of snow later in March and it has even happened in April.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 06:37 PM   #48
youyou
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997 C4S

Getting my car first week of Febuary and so i didn't want to invest over 1000$ right now in winter tires.
Decided to look around on ebay and whatnot to maybe find some used ones that will last me the remainder of the winter which should be around 2 months.
Finally found a pair of Continental (same ones as recommended on tirerack) on www.lespacs.com locally. The size was exactly what i needed 18" and he was asking 450$ with around 70% tread left.
Got there and finally ended up paying 300$
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 10:08 AM   #49
asdfaa
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badash View Post
Just out of curiosity, when are most guys making the switch from winters to summer rubber. I know at least in the past in Edmonton, its warmed up and the roads are decent and then we still get a dump of snow later in March and it has even happened in April.
Yah i will play it by ear, its not the amount of snow that summer tires are affected by, its the temperature, summer tires become hard as hockey pucks around 7 degrees celcius or lower, i am thinking about end of march/april depending how the rest of the winter goes
Ruby Black - Individual | Saddle Brown leather | Bamboo Trim | M Sport Package |
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 11:30 AM   #50
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

I swapped to winters last Wednesday; good timing too considering the ice we got this past weekend. Here's me on W300 Icebears:

[img]http://****************/fp/335i/kevin/drop/drop3.jpg[/img]

So far so good.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 12:00 PM   #51
Iguy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Very nice shot of the beast Picus. Slighty off topic ,but only for a brief moment......what % of tint do you have there, it really looks sharp.

Back on topic.......for those who have used the "RES" button. How long does it keep the car warm for, after you've shut the vehicle off?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 12:06 PM   #52
asdfaa
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iguy View Post
Back on topic.......for those who have used the "RES" button. How long does it keep the car warm for, after you've shut the vehicle off?
I think it only stays on for up to 15 mins after shutting off the car or until the car engine temp is no longer high enough, or your battery dies, i think i read that in the manual. So i guess it depends on how cold it is outside is how long your car will stay warm.

When i go to work, i dont bother with that feature, but if i go to the grocery store, or a quick stop, i definetly use it, its surprising how hot the air is that comes outta there.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 02:32 PM   #53
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iguy View Post
Very nice shot of the beast Picus. Slighty off topic ,but only for a brief moment......what % of tint do you have there, it really looks sharp.

32% all around. I am on h&r sports too. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 05:13 PM   #54
badash
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Looks good!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 09:19 AM   #55
linus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335xi, 08 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus View Post
I swapped to winters last Wednesday; good timing too considering the ice we got this past weekend. Here's me on W300 Icebears:

So far so good.
Picus, how have you found the performance of your 335i with winter snows during our recent blistery weather ?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 09:34 AM   #56
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i, 15 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:

So far so good.
I like your photo composition how you worked the "3" into your shot.

Do the 18" winters run well? Everything I have seen seems to strongly recommend 17".
      01-21-2007, 10:30 AM   #57
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by linus View Post
Picus, how have you found the performance of your 335i with winter snows during our recent blistery weather ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
I like your photo composition how you worked the "3" into your shot.

Do the 18" winters run well? Everything I have seen seems to strongly recommend 17".
So far so good. I've been driving a lot recently for work and haven't had any issues. I had 17" winters on my G35 and don't notice any difference (same brand, Hankook W300's). I still get the rear wheel slip notice every now and again on heavily snowed streets, but the rear has not gotten away from me at all. The difference compared to the stock RFTs is *huge* in snowy/icy weather. Those things were almost useless unless it was really dry out. I think if you were moving through very deep packed snow 17's would be beneficial to "cut" through the snow, but otherwise 18's seem fine to me.

Scott - I didn't even notice that 3! But we will pretend I did.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2007, 02:04 PM   #58
arbitrage
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe

Thought I'd chime in since I'm in Edmonton and have had my e92 335i from Edm BMW since September. I drove with the stock SP summers until sometime in October when I got my Dunlop M3 DSSTs and ASA JH3 setup from tirerack in the US (came to 1900 Cdn). I got to drive in some minor snow with the summers and was certainly happy once I got the winter tires on! This car is perfectly fine in our winters with winter tires. DSC likes to come on lots if you push it, or even without pushing it during the snow storms, the tail is always getting loose but the DSC keeps it in check. I even tried doing a 180deg doughnut e-brake turn on sheer ice and I couldn't do it with DSC on (if I had had more speed of course it would have worked though). The other great feature is switching to DTC mode to get started in really snowy or icy conditions at stoplights, it basically allows enough wheel-spin to allow you to move where as DSC will kill all power and leave you sitting like an idiot at the stop sign! Overall, don't worry about getting the 335 for winter (although I wish I could avoid all the salt and flying rocks from the sanding!).
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2007, 02:58 PM   #59
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Update from last night; with the 18" Hankooks I would in good shape however the rear did sneak out on starts every once in awhile (mostly in deep snow). I was totally fine on the highway and stopping was very easy. The only time DTC kicked in was starting from a light.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2007, 12:11 AM   #60
Iguy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Quote:
Thought I'd chime in since I'm in Edmonton and have had my e92 335i from Edm BMW since September. I drove with the stock SP summers until sometime in October when I got my Dunlop M3 DSSTs and ASA JH3 setup from tirerack in the US (came to 1900 Cdn). I got to drive in some minor snow with the summers and was certainly happy once I got the winter tires on! This car is perfectly fine in our winters with winter tires. DSC likes to come on lots if you push it, or even without pushing it during the snow storms, the tail is always getting loose but the DSC keeps it in check. I even tried doing a 180deg doughnut e-brake turn on sheer ice and I couldn't do it with DSC on (if I had had more speed of course it would have worked though). The other great feature is switching to DTC mode to get started in really snowy or icy conditions at stoplights, it basically allows enough wheel-spin to allow you to move where as DSC will kill all power and leave you sitting like an idiot at the stop sign! Overall, don't worry about getting the 335 for winter (although I wish I could avoid all the salt and flying rocks from the sanding!).
Excellent Arbitrage, thanks for that info. Now come pick me up for a demonstration!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2007, 09:08 AM   #61
linus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335xi, 08 E92 335i

Quote:
Update from last night; with the 18" Hankooks I would in good shape however the rear did sneak out on starts every once in awhile (mostly in deep snow). I was totally fine on the highway and stopping was very easy. The only time DTC kicked in was starting from a light.
Picus, do you think you'd be in better shape at the stoplights if you had 17s ?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2007, 09:27 AM   #62
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by linus View Post
Picus, do you think you'd be in better shape at the stoplights if you had 17s ?
It's hard to say; I haven't used 17" winters on this car so... I did have 17" winters on my G35 and the rears didn't spin quite as much; but that car also didn't have 300lb/ft of tq @1400rpm. I do think if you want the best mix of winter tires + rwd 335 you should probably go with thinner 17's, like 225/17 or something.
Appreciate 0