E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Another cracked alloy

10-13-2012, 05:36 AM   #23
Subzero2003
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by no golf clubs View Post
Going to try another dealer but they are saying its 4mm cracked. Therefore this apparently shows that greater damage has been done by a pot hole or the like. Personally I think this is an utter disgrace I did NOT hit any frigging pothole and it just shows how crappy these rims are. I am seriously considering a move away from BMW Now.
To be honest, the front alloys 225/18's didn't have anywhere near the amount of problems as the rear 255/18 alloys, (which in turn didn't have anywhere near the amount of problems as the 265/19 alloys).

Honestly, i would just buy a new alloy from eBay for £140 and move on. If BMW had done the runout test and your wheel had been within tolerance, but were still being difficult, i would have said to definitely fight it. But since the runout test failed, by quite a lot, i don't think there is going to light at the end of the tunnel unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #24
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d M-Sport

Garage List
Got to agree with this. It's a shame but if the wheel is out of even the newer tolerances they've set then I can't see them budging on this.

I suppose they've got to draw the line somewhere or they'd have people going in with mashed wheels saying 'nothing happened'!

Feel for you though mate. I might feel different next month when I get new tyres fitted! Going the non RFT route tho so I'm worried that once they take the RFTs off, find a crack and then fit the nons, they'll claim it's because of the normal tyres! Here's hoping for no cracks. That said, I'm about I try and get them to refurb my wheels.

Sorry for the hijack!!
      10-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #25
no golf clubs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0d SE Titanium Silver

I solved this problem.

X3 sits in driveway.

I'll miss the speed but the wheels spoiled the whole ownership experience for me sadly. I'd advise anyone with 255/19 run flats on 225 style wheels to swap them out ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 10:33 AM   #26
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by no golf clubs View Post
I solved this problem.

X3 sits in driveway.

I'll miss the speed but the wheels spoiled the whole ownership experience for me sadly. I'd advise anyone with 255/19 run flats on 225 style wheels to swap them out ASAP.
I hear you. As soon as I get my car back I am replacing the 225M's with some aftermarket wheels or an 18"
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #27
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frobius View Post
Going the non RFT route tho so I'm worried that once they take the RFTs off, find a crack and then fit the nons, they'll claim it's because of the normal tyres! Here's hoping for no cracks.
I'm looking to ditch the run-flats on mine (car has the 19" 225M wheels) and also have a niggle at the back of my mind that the tyre fitter will discover a crack in one or more of the wheels when the existing tyres are removed; however, if that happens I daresay BMW will wash their hands of the problem even though the car has done less than 12k miles. Their attitude to both this cracked alloy problem and to their cars getting stolen via key cloning is frankly abysmal and, happy as I've been with BMW's over the last seven years, I'm at a point where it wouldn't take much more for me to look at another make. I did think quite hard about an S4 before I bought the 335i and much more evidence of their "couldn't give a stuff" approach could well push me into making the jump next time!
Appreciate 0