E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Audi RS4 B7 Avant - Another Scratch Itched!

05-31-2012, 04:12 PM   #111
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Any pics mate?
      06-01-2012, 01:53 AM   #112
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Any pics mate?
I know fella - sorry - the post is pretty useless without pics - but because Ian and i were chatting non-stop i totally forgot to get a pic of it sat outside QST with the new stance - i was then running late to get back to collect Molly from school!! So i raced off and literally got back with minutes to spare!! And then the evening disappeared - so simply haven't had a chance to take a pic. My plan is to get some proper washed and cleaned pics taken next week and upload - plus maybe a sound file once the Milly is fitted - will keep you posted.

Ps; lets get this 2012 E90 Karting event sorted - there are so many chaps up for it!!!
      06-01-2012, 02:35 AM   #113
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
I am working on it. I'll call you later today.
      06-01-2012, 02:49 AM   #114
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopsRS4 View Post
Had the C6 RS6 20" rims and Conti 5P's fitted today - quick sneaky pic just before i was about to get it washed!!

It gets lowered tomorrow so hopefully that will sort the stance out.

Looks great with those wheels on - really suits the fantastic Daytona Grey (but I would say that wouldn't I, )
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 03:40 AM   #115
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
Looks great with those wheels on - really suits the fantastic Daytona Grey (but I would say that wouldn't I, )
looks great Paul - lovely choice!
      06-01-2012, 03:43 AM   #116
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Well, its not been cleaned and polished but just taken these quick two shots - i think it may still drop and settle a little more but i think its a definite improvement - although me thinks coil overs are on the cards for later on!! Only downside for me personally is that the car doesn't look quite as fat and wide from the rear as it used to with the monster 275 F1's on - that said the narrower 255 5P's are phenomenal!! Now i can't wait to get that ASBO Milly fitted next week!!!
Attached Images

06-01-2012, 03:51 AM   #117
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

That looks awesome. Very, very cool.
It reminds me of a "Hot Wheels" toy (that is a compliment, not a dig btw!) the wheels look massive and tucked right up tight to the arches.
You certainly have an eye for this modding lark!
Any rubbing issues?

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 04:01 AM   #118
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheps View Post
That looks awesome. Very, very cool.
It reminds me of a "Hot Wheels" toy (that is a compliment, not a dig btw!) the wheels look massive and tucked right up tight to the arches.
You certainly have an eye for this modding lark!
Any rubbing issues?
Thanks Sheps, as always I'm very grateful Sir! No rubbing issues whatsoever as ive left a fair amount of clearance plus the arches are nicely tapered out to the edge - the only small adjustment we made was to remove this grommet/bolt at the top outer edge of the front wheel arches - other than that the wheels simply bolted on! We added the 10mm spacers to the rears and they now look perfect and fully fill the arches - however, no spacers were added to the front as there wasn't really much room left, they sit in a little more than i would have liked but again at least there is little chance of any rubbing even under the hardest compression. All the above said though, i haven't had all the family in it yet, laded with beach bits and luggage in readiness for Branscombe this weekend - so that will be the real test!!!
      06-01-2012, 04:04 AM   #119
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Not long been back from QST. Have to say Kim was a really nice chap and his mum made a fine cuppa. They had a good look over the car and plugged it into the computer - showed no fault codes and he said he was impressed with how well it drove and pulled strongly from 5k all the way through - so that was good to hear. They checked over the DRC and again reported no issues. The whole DRC inc valves etc was replaced by Audi under warranty last year and they even adjusted the pressures to a new setting that Audi now recommend for the DRC system. Anyway, all was fine and they got on with fitting the H&R's. In the meantime i got on with some work in reception on my laptop - and whilst i was waiting the Silver Fox (Ian) turned up minus his lacey basque and gimp mask THANK GOD!!! Have to say it was really great to see the old goat again and looking well. It was good to catch up and have a giggle - the time flew by!! Ian also "foolishly" allowed me to take his 335D for a blast!! That got his ticker pumping!! And damn is his car fast - it pulls like a train - looks the nuts too - my fave 335D by far.
Anyway, Kim had my car finished by around 1.30pm and the stance looks much better. Its still not perfect in my eyes but it was never going to give me the exact results I'm wanting without going down the coil over route - which i may well look into at a later date. The drive doesn't feel any different and its certainly no harsher - the only significant difference is that it corners even flatter than before which would suggest it hasn't compromised the DRC in any adverse way. I will wait for it to settle a bit and take some pics next week after I'm back from Branscombe and possibly once the Milly is fitted.
Overall I'm very happy with QST and will certainly use them again
Silver fox!

It's not the first time I've been called that,and it's better than being mistaken for Peter Stringfellow!

Anyway,great to catch up with you Steve,and thanks for the tips on the car,I checked the tyre pressures and they were a tad high + I'll reset the billies to make the car less skittish
My blood pressure has returned to near normality,and my pulse has returned to it's normal beat,and not the near death booms that nearly resulted with my heart in my lap ,it's good to know that age has not diminished your appetite for living life on the edge

I think you're being overly harsh on the aesthetic the car now provides,it will settle more over the next few days,although I think it looks great as is.
Looks fantastic from the rear,wide hips always look appealing,even from a distance!
The Milltek will finish it off superbly,especially if it sounds as good as the one we heard fitted to the car of Mr.Precious

Impressed with QST,great little outfit,and the Guys were very knowledgeable and helpful,I especially warmed to the tech with the E91

Have a good break in Devon,and looking forward to the soundclips from the Milly

Just seen the pics Steve - Propa Bisto

Last edited by Hotcoupe; 06-01-2012 at 04:37 AM.. Reason: Didn't notice the pics,Doh!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 04:32 AM   #120
dobbo99
Major
Rep
Drives: E39 530 oldskool

surely this is every car you'll ever need?
quality build, great looks, amazing performance, bags of room.

looks lovely.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 04:39 AM   #121
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Car looks perfect, I wouldn't go down the expensive coilover route, the stance is spot on as it is, and will settle a few more mm yet over the next week or so.

Looks great from the rear with the spacers on
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #122
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

Wow, looks amazing. That is just perfect

How's the mpg?

Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #123
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Does Archie like it?
      06-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #124
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

I'm sure if you want some advice on what cleaning equipment to buy we will be more than happy to help.

A pressure washer, snow foam lance, few wash mitts, couple of buckets, some decent shampoo, a few drying towels and a quick detailer spray would get you going.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #125
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

from me!!

Oh and that colour is definitely the right one for the wheels.....

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #126
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

Just curious-in relation to the driving experience,can you compare the RS4 to a 335d (mapped or unmapped) at all?
If so,how do they stack up against each other?
It's probably a stupid comparison/question,but any thoughts would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #127
zedman
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M Sport 320D,

Quote:
has that car got the black styling pack? It seems to have the black grill but the window trims are silver?

looks nice anyway
      06-02-2012, 02:25 AM   #128
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

What's the boot size like in the A7 Mr Fast. Would it hold a Labrador? If so that could be an alternative to an Avant or Touring type.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 03:02 AM   #129
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Just seen the pics Steve - Propa Bisto
Thank you buddy - again great to see you and hope to see you again soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbo99 View Post
surely this is every car you'll ever need?
Bar the MPG i would agree with you totally!

Quote:
Car looks perfect, I wouldn't go down the expensive coilover route, the stance is spot on as it is, and will settle a few more mm yet over the next week or so.
Looks great from the rear with the spacers on
Thanks Paul and i think i agree with you re the coil overs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
Wow, looks amazing. That is just perfect
How's the mpg?
Cheers Oli - MPG is not as scary as i was dreading - sensible driving, putting it almost immediately into 6th and on a run, with occasional blats to overtake numptys that i simply cannot bare to sit behind, ive seen mid 20's - but my "usual" driving style and no wife/kids or Archie in the car then I'm lucky to average better than 10mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Does Archie like it?
LOL - he hasn't stepped paw in it yet but it has the factory fitted dog guard in it and theres plenty of room in the back, equal to the Merc estate so I'm sure he will be fine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
I'm sure if you want some advice on what cleaning equipment to buy we will be more than happy to help.
A pressure washer, snow foam lance, few wash mitts, couple of buckets, some decent shampoo, a few drying towels and a quick detailer spray would get you going.
Thank you fella - will take note and go shopping at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbin View Post
from me!!
Oh and that colour is definitely the right one for the wheels.....
Thanks Chris - I'm still not 100% sure about the colour of the rims - I'm very tempted to go a few shades darker and maybe consider like a frosted or matt finish flat grey - but its not a priority and i will live with them as is for now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyray911 View Post
Just curious-in relation to the driving experience,can you compare the RS4 to a 335d (mapped or unmapped) at all?
If so,how do they stack up against each other?
It's probably a stupid comparison/question,but any thoughts would be appreciated!
Its a difficult comparison Billy mainly due to the fact you have the big heavy lazy V8 on one hand against the awesome (esp mapped) 335D twin turbo - they are both great and both have pro's and con's. I would fair better giving you a comparison against my old E92 M3's as they are both V8s. And in brief there is very little in it - from an all-rounder & practicality point of view the RS4 Avant wins hands down every time - however, being honest, if i didn't require the boot and extra doors then i would chose the M3 every day of every week no question. Going back to the 335D i would say that assuming you are comparing them both in estate guise then i would say that due to the MPG of the 335D and the fact that remapped and for little cost you are without doubt knocking firmly on the back doors of a stock M3 and RS4 in terms of performance, then its a no brainer and the 335D Touring wins almost across the board. However, if MPG isn't your MAIN concern, i.e. the car isn't do hundreds of miles a day/commuting etc then there are factors for me personally that make the RS4 Avant a winner every time - first of all the aggressive styling, flared arches, big wheels, wide tyres, V8 growl and burble, amazing ergonomics, flat bottom steering wheel, recaro bucket seats etc etc - build quality equals the BMW, in my opinion the Sat Nav (with TMC enabled) and stereo is far superior (although the lack of 6 digit postcode, which believe it or not is STILL not part of the sat nav in the very latest RS3 i went in yesterday, is very annoying) - which goes back to my loves of the E46 M3 CSL and my R26.R in that they feel like a special place to be the moment you slide into the seat - with the RS4 as soon as you squeeze into the bucket seats and look at the flat bottom wheel and press the start button it almost makes you shiver - and then you press the Sport button and even with the stock exhaust it sounds awesome. Ians 335D is without doubt a great looking car and now remapped goes like stink and still returns him a decent MPG. However, the RS4 out of the box with no fiddling is an immense and iconic piece of kit. Bizarrely and i wasn't expecting this reaction before i bought an RS4 but literally everywhere i go, sitting in traffic jams, putting fuel in, parked up at the shops etc etc, literally everywhere someone at some point will come over, wind a window down etc and shower the car with compliments - there seems to be a real deep love for the RS4 both B5 and B7 regardless of what car you drive or what your background is - as i said it just feels a little special. But the 335D and 335i are both immense cars and i love them equally so its not really a fair or easy comparison.
      06-02-2012, 04:48 AM   #130
Moh
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedman View Post
has that car got the black styling pack? It seems to have the black grill but the window trims are silver?

looks nice anyway
Black didn't come out at time of rs4 production
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 04:51 AM   #131
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moh View Post
Black didn't come out at time of rs4 production
I think this chap is referring to Pauls new A7 and not my RS4.

With regard my B7 RS4 Avant - yes it has the full Black Optics Pack - black window surrounds, black front grill, black roof rails and black exhaust tips.

NB: just a quick note - i would really appreciate it if anyone has any questions about Pauls A7 then they please either ask him via PM or on his thread about his A7 and not via this thread - ta!
      06-02-2012, 06:06 AM   #132
zedman
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M Sport 320D,

Quote:
NB: just a quick note - i would really appreciate it if anyone has any questions about Pauls A7 then they please either ask him via PM or on his thread about his A7 and not via this thread - ta!
ok point taken, didn't mean to annoy you

I actually meant to post something about the RS4, but as i'm a fan of the the car, and also surprisingly the XL wheels - i had nothing more to say!