E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Key FOB data and detection

09-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Key FOB data and detection

So, since the key fob stores data such as codes, etc...

Can anyone explain the relationship between :
1) data stored on the DME (read by the dealer via OBD)
2) data stored on the fob (read by the dealer fob reader)

I assume that the key has to be in the ignition to clear codes stored on the FOB while clearing codes in the DME... (duh)

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
bolty
/r/trees
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335xi

And how does this relate to cars with CA?? Do the keys on CA equipped cars transfer data wirelessly??

I have never inserted my key into the ignition ever since I've had the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

The fob only stoes the data that shows up in the check control / maintenace section and does not include any engine codes... they still need to read that directly from the car.

Stuff like current mileage, fuel consumption, intervals and mileage to the next service etc are only on the fob.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolty View Post
And how does this relate to cars with CA?? Do the keys on CA equipped cars transfer data wirelessly??

With CA the fob only gets data when you plug it into the car. So say when you go in for service, the SA will go out to the car and plug in the fob to the car and drive it into the bay. Thats when the data is sent to the fob.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #5
shifterboy45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
So, since the key fob stores data such as codes, etc...

Can anyone explain the relationship between :
1) data stored on the DME (read by the dealer via OBD)
2) data stored on the fob (read by the dealer fob reader)

I assume that the key has to be in the ignition to clear codes stored on the FOB while clearing codes in the DME... (duh)

-scheherazade
information stored in the key is designed to provide quick information on vehicle status..

the only information that is shared with the DME is the I-level status (current integration level, and the MSD indentifier - current encoding of the unit and the manufacturer.)

the key is designed as a quick check for service level items and their relative proximity to due date.

clearing the systems CBS data will affect the information stored in the key -- which needs to extracted from the CAS and reinitialized.. any other key that is used with information prior to the CBS data update will be refreshed on insertion into the CAS. so make sure you insert both keys in the CAS after code clearing

the key also stores the status codes for the system during the last start up-- if a code exists it will be stored during the check control cycle. if a light bulb is out, check engine light is on, reduced power message, will be stored short term in the key-- if the problem does not exist during the CC cycle - no codes will be stored.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #6
shifterboy45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolty View Post

Comfort Access key work the same way -- there is no need to insert the key .. for the record the CA is limited to 2 keys --- whereas only cars can i believe access 3 keys or more.. DWA limit is two keys for CA (anti-theft feature can be modified to disable keys for use-- eg if a key is lost)
Appreciate 0