E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Does your Motive power bleeder leak?

11-17-2015, 08:24 AM   #1
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Does your Motive power bleeder leak?

I bought one and I've done two flushes so far.

First time, simply used the bleeder to pressurize. Less mess but required time filling the reservoir.

Second time (this weekend), put fluid in, thinking it's the most straightforward way. With 20-25 psi, the bleeder leaked at the tube extension connection and at the reservoir cap. Motive adapter is the cap for euro / bmw. Left a small puddle on the ground, directly below the reservoir.

Does your motive bleeder leak like this under pressure? Do you do anything to minimize leaks or mess?

I'm thinking I should teflon the brass tube connection next time, but clueless about the reservoir, other than dress it in new pig mat.

Otherwise, the thing did its job and it's great to have fresh fluid
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 05:20 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I've used mine at least 4 times now without a leak. I have the aluminum cap version and find you have to be diligent with threading the cap on the reservoir correctly to get it to seat properly. Are you sure the rubber gasket didn't fall out of the Motive's cap? And do you clean it with denatured alcohol after each use as the instructions say to?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2015, 07:46 AM   #3
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I've used mine at least 4 times now without a leak. I have the aluminum cap version and find you have to be diligent with threading the cap on the reservoir correctly to get it to seat properly. Are you sure the rubber gasket didn't fall out of the Motive's cap? And do you clean it with denatured alcohol after each use as the instructions say to?
Thanks for responding!

Denatured alcohol - this last use, but I didn't the first time since I didn't pump fluid (from the tank).

My plastic cap has a rubber or soft plastic "disk" inside the cap. I'm thinking that's the gasket? I have another unopened plastic cap for my wife's Acura: same design.

Do you think the aluminum cap is superior to a plastic one? I bought my motive new, but it was from an ebay vendor, not the manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 09:52 PM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post
Thanks for responding!

Denatured alcohol - this last use, but I didn't the first time since I didn't pump fluid (from the tank).

My plastic cap has a rubber or soft plastic "disk" inside the cap. I'm thinking that's the gasket? I have another unopened plastic cap for my wife's Acura: same design.

Do you think the aluminum cap is superior to a plastic one? I bought my motive new, but it was from an ebay vendor, not the manufacturer.
Yup, that's the gasket. I bought the aluminum cap version because I got a thing for anodized aluminum . Maybe the e-bay one is a knock-off? I bought my unit from a candy store (local race shop) in Sterling, VA.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1