E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Coding paddle shift - anyone succeed?

06-01-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Coding paddle shift - anyone succeed?

Has anyone succeeded in adding paddle shift functionality without rewiring anything? You need paddle-enabled MF buttons and the harness obv., and your car should have the right yellow wires already in place, but once those are in - it SHOULD be software codable, right?

I replaced my non-paddle steering wheel with the 2XA steering wheel in the VO but have had no success in getting them to work. Any help appreciated - thanks!
      06-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Also: just a FYI there is a "PADDLES" setting in EGS (transmission) but it does not do anything - and paddle-enabled cars do NOT have it turned on so I don't know what it's for.
      06-01-2011, 09:47 PM   #3
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91

After having added the VO to the main modules (CAS and others), did you read-write all your modules?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 10:09 PM   #4
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka View Post
After having added the VO to the main modules (CAS and others), did you read-write all your modules?
I don't think I read-wrote *all* modules, but I did read-write *some* (i.e. EGS).

I wonder if I should try read-writing CAS/NFRM?
      06-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91

It cost nothing to try. As an example, after adding the power seat you need to add the VO to the CAS and after read-write the kombi.

So, after having added the VO, you need to read-write the module which control the paddles or transmission..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #6
sexymexy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 jet black

I have the same problems with the paddles!!! Help Please!!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 10:48 AM   #7
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

bump.
      06-24-2011, 09:26 AM   #8
justa3series
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi

Hey friend, @Pseudo Nim,

You still have not gotten this to work? I would think once wired correctly, it should be turned on by software coding or correct VO.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 09:31 AM   #9
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justa3series View Post
Hey friend, @Pseudo Nim,

You still have not gotten this to work? I would think once wired correctly, it should be turned on by software coding or correct VO.
So I thought too. I have yet to try woodpecka's suggestion, but besides that, I am pretty sure I did it right - added 2XA (paddle wheel) to VO, etc...
      06-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #10
justa3series
Banned
Rep

I would add to VO in both CAS and (N)RFM and then code whole car. This way it will update modules accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #11
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justa3series View Post
I would add to VO in both CAS and (N)RFM and then code whole car. This way it will update modules accordingly.
hmm. You mean "process car" instead of single module? has that been established to be safe? (haven't followed the thread for a while). Also - do I have to read car first before doing that or jus click "process car" then "GO"?
      06-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #12
justa3series
Banned
Rep

Use expertprofile from what I understand is correct way, but other way which is use normal profile and clear out contents of .MAN and process car. This way it will update all needed modules back to stock the according to VO. This will wipe out any other programming you have also.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 11:54 AM   #13
aermet
Rep
Drives: 335d

In a little bit of a revival of this thread since there might be some out there who have not gotten the paddles to work with simply a VO add and proper wheel-

I have a 2011 335d. After quite a bit of comparison to oem equipped and not equipped 2XA cars, and after extensive extensive examination of wiring schematics as it pertains to the paddles/slip ring/steering module/JBE/tranny module, there are 2 important wires missing which go from the output of the JBE (junction box, which is behind glove compartment) into a harness plug and then to the transmission module. Input side wiring coming from JBE into this plug is missing even though output side wiring going to tranny is present.

Just discovered this saturday and it will take a couple of days to obtain proper connector pins and wire correctly to try out and see if it works.

I'll follow up then.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #14
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Lol I cave in, wire them up, and NOW you appear?!?!?! j/k. I hope you find it so I can undo the wiring and do it code-wise. I did all the software comparisons too, and more or less, 2XA (or the alternate, stock wheel) is about the only difference. Looking forward to hearing about the wires!!! Please take pics.
      10-25-2011, 11:12 PM   #15
aermet
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
Lol I cave in, wire them up, and NOW you appear?!?!?! j/k. I hope you find it so I can undo the wiring and do it code-wise. I did all the software comparisons too, and more or less, 2XA (or the alternate, stock wheel) is about the only difference. Looking forward to hearing about the wires!!! Please take pics.
Yes, I know. I'm sorry.

It's something I work on with a bmw tech friend of mine after hours in his spare time. I keep insisting on just wiring them up the known way and he keeps insisting that we do it the oem way. It's hilarious as I've had my brand new car for 2 months now, have a paddle shifter wheel, and they still don't work.

The 2 missing wires were discovered after hooking my car up several times to the computer in the shop in order to compare wiring diagrams between 2XA equipped and not equipped cars. I have to hand it to him, he's a stud with his bmw experience and knowledge, and persistent as all hell to keep at this to find a proper solution.

As mentioned, it's going to take most likely another week or so to try this out and wire to see if it works-getting the proper pins to place into harness plugs and finding the time. He has a good feeling that this is the key.

We've checked part numbers for almost all relevant modules, traced wiring on diagram from shifters through all harnesses and plugs, and double checked the coding and this is the only difference we've found. There's no way to tell if it's the single reason, but paddles will definitely not work without this connection.

I'm amazed that production would go through the trouble to have 2 different harnesses in this situation. Different part numbers and 2 different harnesses just for two 36 in pieces wire on an already existent harness/plug. He says that it's quite common though.

I'll report back as soon as a solution is found.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 05:17 AM   #16
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Awesome - thank you very much. Looking forward to your update.
      11-01-2011, 10:10 PM   #17
nemith
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 BMW 335xi M-Sport EBII

Garage List
So I was actually thinking the same thing. I got some the LCI paddles and I noticed on my car that all pins in the back of the steering will were connected.

I figured with the newer multifunction buttons, newer paddles with resistors that there should be a way to hook it all together and code it with out the need for harness (although I bought some connectors and some cable to make if I am forced to)

I will be looking forward to seeing what comes of this thread. And if you need for me to test anything out let me know.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 04:47 PM   #18
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Any updates?

*taps foot impatiently*

*consumes copious amounts of alcohol*
      11-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #19
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
Any updates?

*taps foot impatiently*

*consumes copious amounts of alcohol*
we're talking about having them shift out of 'D' still?

interested in this as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 06:34 PM   #20
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakev724 View Post
we're talking about having them shift out of 'D' still?

interested in this as well.
Nope - that's a 2006 and earlier limitation it seems.

Talking about doing a software-only config for paddles for those who have the yellow wires in place. Or probably adding some wires somewhere, but NOT through the hotwire mod.
      01-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #21
kitercarlos
Spain
Rep
Drives: X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermet View Post
Yes, I know. I'm sorry.

It's something I work on with a bmw tech friend of mine after hours in his spare time. I keep insisting on just wiring them up the known way and he keeps insisting that we do it the oem way. It's hilarious as I've had my brand new car for 2 months now, have a paddle shifter wheel, and they still don't work.

The 2 missing wires were discovered after hooking my car up several times to the computer in the shop in order to compare wiring diagrams between 2XA equipped and not equipped cars. I have to hand it to him, he's a stud with his bmw experience and knowledge, and persistent as all hell to keep at this to find a proper solution.

As mentioned, it's going to take most likely another week or so to try this out and wire to see if it works-getting the proper pins to place into harness plugs and finding the time. He has a good feeling that this is the key.

We've checked part numbers for almost all relevant modules, traced wiring on diagram from shifters through all harnesses and plugs, and double checked the coding and this is the only difference we've found. There's no way to tell if it's the single reason, but paddles will definitely not work without this connection.

I'm amazed that production would go through the trouble to have 2 different harnesses in this situation. Different part numbers and 2 different harnesses just for two 36 in pieces wire on an already existent harness/plug. He says that it's quite common though.

I'll report back as soon as a solution is found.
Hi, any news? I'm stuck, I've got the paddles fitted, and the wires install in the plug behind the steering wheel but I don't know where they finish, I´m looking in all the modules but I have no clue in wich module and plug is, Can you tell me something?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #22
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitercarlos View Post
Hi, any news? I'm stuck, I've got the paddles fitted, and the wires install in the plug behind the steering wheel but I don't know where they finish, I´m looking in all the modules but I have no clue in wich module and plug is, Can you tell me something?

Thank you
e-mail me at my username at gmail and I'll send you a pdf install guide. few threads on here that should help you as well but I can't take the time to search.
Appreciate 0