E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Front lip spoiler for E92 Mtech??? (JLevi)

11-30-2008, 12:29 PM   #1
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 328i E93

Front lip spoiler for E92 Mtech??? (JLevi)

I was chatting with the guys from JLevi a while back about the possibilities of a lip spoiler for the E92 Mtech front bumper that is similar to the one Vorsteiner makes for the new M3. I was wondering if there has been any progress in this area?

Although I like the OEM aero front and sorta like the Vorsteiner front lip, I think we are still in need of the perfect front end for the E92. I just love the Vorsteiner add-on for the M3 and think this would be an incredible look for the E92 with the Mtech front. (It would sure be a lot cheaper than the M3 conversion that some are doing.)

Whadyasay we start putting some pressure on them??? I need it to be available by late February when I get my 335.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 01:50 PM   #2
tatoh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325ci Alpine White

+1 great idea!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 09:37 PM   #3
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

This is a really great idea. The problem is that not many have the Mtech front bumper as they are extremely hard to get here in the US. We are hoping BMW decides to bring this in as a US spec item so we can design a lip for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 09:51 PM   #4
chrisE92
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

That's a great idea, but I don't know if it'd look as great on mtech E92's because our cars aren't as wide as the m3's. I'd personally love to see replicas of the kerscher lip/splitter as well as others, like the 3d design ones
      12-01-2008, 07:40 AM   #5
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
This is a really great idea. The problem is that not many have the Mtech front bumper as they are extremely hard to get here in the US. We are hoping BMW decides to bring this in as a US spec item so we can design a lip for it.
So, you manufacture one and start by selling them in Europe, et al and then to the rising number of people who would special order an Mtech front here in the U.S.A. because they look sooo goooood!

How hard can that be?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 08:38 AM   #6
absix
Mu mu muh muli, maikouuu!
Rep
Drives: F10 M5; F25 2.0d;

Quote:
How hard is it to buy an OEM M-tech bumper through Tischer for example? You don't need all the bits and pieces, just the main bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAg View Post
possibilities of a lip spoiler for the E92 Mtech front bumper that is similar to the one Vorsteiner makes for the new M3.
I would pay top dollar for something like this... especially in CF!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 10:06 AM   #7
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Not to be gangin' up on you, Nick but...

I wonder just how many of those M3 front lip spoilers Vorsteiner anticipates selling? I bet they would sell quite a few of these proposed Mtech pieces, especially with mod-crazy people all over this Website and others like it.

Vorsteiner is based in California, right? Their Website has a "Vorsteiner International" tag on their homepage but its not an active link. (BTW: They have a typo at the bottom- "Vorsteiner Coporate") So, I'm sure they're selling those pieces overseas as well. They may sell more of those M3 pieces here in US, at least at first, but they're bound to start shipping more and more across the pond.

The sale of this Mtech piece would just be the reverse*.

(*until BMW of NA finally decides to stop denying us those things we want, such as M Sport/ Mtech, anthracite headliners, and some cool interior options. Why is that, anyway? Don't they sell enough BMWs here in the US??? Errrhhhh!!! Had to get on my soap box.)

Last edited by Isaiah5411; 12-01-2008 at 10:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 11:13 AM   #8
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

I have actually had this chat with Vorsteiner and while we do have a strong international following with the brand (ie we ship regularly overseas), it still does not make sense given the relatively low number of Mtech kits out there. Even when you take Europe into account, the number of Mtech bumpers is far less than the standard bumpers. The numbers are in fact small enough to not justify making a lip for it just yet.

With that said, if BMW follows the E46 trend, they will phase in the Mtech bumper in the US as the car ages- sort of a mid model design upgrade. When that occurs, it will definitely make sense to produce parts for that bumper.

I wish it didn't boil down to a sheer economics and numbers issue but you have to understand it from a manufacturing perspective. While it's great to offer parts for every configuration, it also has to make sense from a business perspective.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 11:39 AM   #9
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have actually had this chat with Vorsteiner and while we do have a strong international following with the brand (ie we ship regularly overseas), it still does not make sense given the relatively low number of Mtech kits out there. Even when you take Europe into account, the number of Mtech bumpers is far less than the standard bumpers. The numbers are in fact small enough to not justify making a lip for it just yet.

With that said, if BMW follows the E46 trend, they will phase in the Mtech bumper in the US as the car ages- sort of a mid model design upgrade. When that occurs, it will definitely make sense to produce parts for that bumper.

I wish it didn't boil down to a sheer economics and numbers issue but you have to understand it from a manufacturing perspective. While it's great to offer parts for every configuration, it also has to make sense from a business perspective.

Thanks for your time, Nick. That all makes sense, of course. I was just thinking about how many of those M3 pieces they have sold/expect to sell versus what they projected they needed to sell before making that piece.

I just wish it didn't look sooo good on that car.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 11:54 AM   #10
Robmaster
Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2010 E82 135, 2005 E87 130i

i ask vorsteiner last week about a lip for the E92 M-Tech and that's the answer:

"Thank you for your inquiry in Vorsteiner Products. At this moment Vorsteiner doesn't offer any aero parts for the M-Tech Kit. However we are in the developing stages of it right now."

so i hope the best...
Appreciate 0