E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Walnut blast question!

08-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
CjonesE92
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi E92

Garage List
Exclamation Walnut blast question!

as the title says I have a question about getting a walnut blast done on my 328xi coupe. Ive seen and heard of alot of the 335 guys getting it done and was wondering if I get it done will it make that much of a difference to justify it on my 08 328 with 60k on it. Or how do I know if I need it? I know kind of a newb question, dont flame just trying to find out about it. Also I did search and couldnt find anything about it being done on a 328. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
kunal_d
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 335i 3 pedals

The 328 does not require walnut blasting...ever. Walnut blasting is recommended for direct-injected motors like the N54/55 in the 335i.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
ZROFCKSGVN
Hi Hater
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Reckless

NA to your engine, run a bottle of lucas thru it to keep the cylinders and injectors lubricated and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Direct Injection

You should not need a walnut cleaning. DI do not have the intake valves washed with fuel -- throw in a turbo and 245F temps, long oil drain intervals and you are left with intake valves that are caked with gunk. You may have dirty injectors -- just run a little seafoam & top-tier gas.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
wahooooman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Atlantis M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Britt View Post
You should not need a walnut cleaning. DI do not have the intake valves washed with fuel -- throw in a turbo and 245F temps, long oil drain intervals and you are left with intake valves that are caked with gunk. You may have dirty injectors -- just run a little seafoam & top-tier gas.
This.
side ? tho are you the first owner of the car.. second ?
      08-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

You do not need a walnut blast.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #7
GamecockEsquire
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
General walnut blast question for the N54: At approx how many miles do you guys recommend to have the intakes blasted out? Do any dealers offer this under warranty or is that just a pipe dream? Anyone running a catch can right after a walnut blast and if so, does it totally cut out the problem or just delay the necessity for another walnut blast down the line?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
CjonesE92
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi E92

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahooooman View Post
This.
side ? tho are you the first owner of the car.. second ?
im the second owner I bought it with just about 50k on it. I always run and always have run shell V-power since I bought it. Ive heard mixed reviews on sea-foam, and have heard that its hard to use, please correct me if im wrong and what the proper way to use the sea foam would be? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
thenewrick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Black Sapphire

Buy a bottle of Lucas fuel treatment and put it in your tank when it's full of gas then, when you drive throughout that tank, occasionally give it full throttle to really push that cleaner through the injectors well.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #10
wahooooman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjonesE92 View Post
im the second owner I bought it with just about 50k on it. I always run and always have run shell V-power since I bought it. Ive heard mixed reviews on sea-foam, and have heard that its hard to use, please correct me if im wrong and what the proper way to use the sea foam would be? Thanks
Hmm, well, i wouldn't touch the seafoam stuff just yet in my opinion just run a bottle of lucas through it like many have said before, but if your set on doing it get the spray heres the DIY http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=610487

I would spray off your MAF sensor just because a dirty one can result in poor gas mileage ECT.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490389
\ if your MAF is dirty it will result in poor milage and on my friends N52 it was seemed to cause the car to shake while under acceleration.

also i use this to prevent carbon buildup ( keep in mind its for a 335 but im sure it couldn't hurt to do on the n52) http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694228

last but not least always use top tier gas TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Retailers

"Gasoline retailers must meet the high TOP TIER standards with all grades of gasoline to be approved by the automakers as providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline." here is the the list > or some of them BP
Chevron
Conoco
CountryMark
Entec Stations
Exxon
MFA Oil Co.
Mobil
Ohana Fuels
Phillips 66
Quik Trip
Road Ranger
Scheirl Oil
Shell
Texaco
Tri-Par Oil Co.
U.S. Oil
Hope this helps goodluck
      08-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #11
wahooooman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockEsquire View Post
General walnut blast question for the N54: At approx how many miles do you guys recommend to have the intakes blasted out? Do any dealers offer this under warranty or is that just a pipe dream? Anyone running a catch can right after a walnut blast and if so, does it totally cut out the problem or just delay the necessity for another walnut blast down the line?

Thanks in advance
I had mine blasted at about 51k it solved my jerking and loss of power, at about a $950 bill sparkplugs and such. If your covered under CPO you could keep nagging the dealer and there is a slight chance they will do it i know a few ppl on the forums have had it covered, mine unfortunately was not covered. and it just delays the problem, Look at my previous post with link to see how to maintain the carbon problem. ^^^ above^^
      08-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #12
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahooooman View Post

also i use this to prevent carbon buildup ( keep in mind its for a 335 but im sure it couldn't hurt to do on the n52) http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694228
At this point there are so many opinions on this subject and I have done my own research and at this point I am have not found a definitive answers on how to prevent the build up.

I like how this guy in the link above said his method works, but offers no proof, like pictures of the intake. He just said his performance was good and the dealer said it was the best running car he has seen. Like dealers do not lie much.

I can tell you I had my intake cleans twice in 78K miles and other than the fact each time they cleaned the intakes they reset the engines adaptive learning which cause the engine to come to life again I did not see any performance difference before or after due to the intake being gunked up. Now, if I was racing and running the car on the edge of it performance I probably would notice the difference. In every day drives I did not see any decrease in its performance prior to cleaning. No odd behavior or lack of throttle response or anything similar.

I would agree having all that carbon built up on the intake is not a good thing, you loose performance and gas mileage because of it. You also run the risk of possibly damaging the engine. Base on what I saw in my engine, and this obviously depend on your driving habits, it looks like they should be cleaned ever 25K to 30K miles.

The reason I choose the walnut blasting is for two simple reasons. First it does the best possible job, better than any chemical clean I have seen so far and only takes about 40 minutes to do.

Second, doing a chemical clean is not good for your engine. The Chemical dissolves or breaks down the carbon build up. So it caustic and could damage other things. Also if you let the chemical and carbon mixture go through the engine while running it what do you think this is doing to the cylinder walls and such. Why would you let chunks of carbons go into the combustion chamber. This like running your car without an air cleaner.

I have rebuilt engines in the past and I seen the damage caused by not making sure you have nothing but clean fluid (air, gas, oil and water) running through the engine. This is why I could not understand what people would try and break up carbon and then allow it to go into the cylinders it just seems like an all round bad idea.

Last edited by Maestro; 08-23-2013 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #13
wahooooman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
At this point there are so many options on this subject and I done my own research and at this point I am have not found a definitive answers on how to present the build up.

I like how this guy in the link above said his method works, but offers no proof, like pictures of the intake. He just said his performance was good and the dealer said it was the best running car he has seen. Like dealers do not lie much.

I can tell you I had my intake cleans twice in 78K miles and other than the fact each time they cleaned the intakes they reset the engines adaptive learning which cause the engine to come to life again I did not see any performance difference before or after due to the intake being gunked up. Now, if I was racing and running the car on the edge of it performance I probably would notice the difference. In every day drives I did not see any decrease in its performance prior to cleaning. No odd behavior or lack of throttle response or anything similar.

I would agree having all that carbon built up on the intake is not a good thing, you loose performance and gas mileage because of it. You also run the risk of possibly damaging the engine. Base on what I saw in my engine, and this obviously depend on your driving habits, it looks like they should be cleaned ever 25K to 30K miles.

The reason I choose the walnut blasting is for two simple reasons. First it does the best possible job, better than any chemical clean I have seen so far and only takes about 40 minutes to do.

Second, doing a chemical clean is not good for your engine. The Chemical dissolves or breaks down the carbon build up. So it caustic and could damage other things. Also if you let the chemical and carbon mixture go through the engine while running it what do you think this is doing to the cylinder walls and such. Why would you let chunks of carbons go into the combustion chamber. This like running your car without an air cleaner.

I have rebuilt engines in the past and I seen the damage caused by not making sure you have nothing but clean fluid (air, gas, oil and water) running through the engine. This is why I could not understand what people would try and break up carbon and then allow it to go into the cylinders it just seems like an all round bad idea.
+1
You are totally spot on with this comment, it really depends how you drive it track it ECt.

Since i had the walnut blasting i found this method to work for me, i don't track my car very often, but consider myself to drive aggressively most likely like many on the forum , the only surefire way of getting ride of the carbon is walnut blasting.