E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Process of selling a car that has a lien

01-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
fizzerd
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i

Process of selling a car that has a lien

Want to sell my car privately as I can get the most buck compared to a trade-in. Is it possible to have the cheque paid to BMW Canada and myself? Has anyone done this before?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
When I bought my car, the seller was in the same situation as you. Basically after I sent him my certified cheque for the total amount he had to pay off BMW right away (with another certified cheque, important to get it cleared right away). Once he did that I got BMW to send me a letter proving it was cleared. Once I got this letter I could then register the vehicle with MTO.

I don't necessarily know if this is HOW it must be done, just sharing my experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
dzlmoose
Lieutenant
Egypt
Rep
Drives: Trek 7.2, 2001 M5

I recently sold a BMW that had a lien and I did something very similar to what Volasko did.

If you have a good relationship with a BMW dealership the business manager might be able to also help you.

Are you buying another BMW from a dealership?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
fizzerd
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlmoose View Post
I recently sold a BMW that had a lien and I did something very similar to what Volasko did.

If you have a good relationship with a BMW dealership the business manager might be able to also help you.

I want to but the dealer is giving me a trade-in value that is 6k less that my amount owed which basically means i have to pay 6k out of pocket.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzerd
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlmoose View Post

I want to but the dealer is giving me a trade-in value that is 6k less that my amount owed which basically means i have to pay 6k out of pocket.
Tell them to shove it lol that's ridiculous. Most of our cars are worth slightly more then the loan.

Seeing as how you are buying another vehicle the least they could do for you is break even on your old one and make their profit on the new sale.

Edit: co-payable Chq to you and BMW might also work.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 11:39 PM   #6
thung_mail
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post
Tell them to shove it lol that's ridiculous. Most of our cars are worth slightly more then the loan.

Seeing as how you are buying another vehicle the least they could do for you is break even on your old one and make their profit on the new sale.

Edit: co-payable Chq to you and BMW might also work.
+1
Appreciate 0