E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > No tire pressure monitor sensor

04-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
DannyP
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2013 Glacier Silver F30 335i

No tire pressure monitor sensor

I bought a used Canadian 2011 335i and I noticed that it does not have tpms, but the iDrive has a function for reset. Does anyone has seen this before?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
Bendercle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi 6MT

Maybe someone disabled the TPMS? Can be accomplished by pulling the fuse, coding, and unplugging the RDC module in the trunk. Sometimes people do this if the wheels they buy don't come with TPMS. I'm currently in the process of doing it because the sensors are broken or something and I don't want to pay to replace them.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
Dem3ern
Private
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

Garage List
Are you sure that the wheels which came with it are equipped with the sensors? does that car not recognize any pressures or presence of the sensors when you reset tpms?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
J02 335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Canadian car's use the wheel speed sensors (ABS) for TPM's so there are no sensors in the wheels. So there is just a light that comes if the tire is low (yellow) and (red) light for when the tire is flat.

Sport pack, JB3, Dci, factory oil cooler, 18" M3 reps, Michelin PSS, painted trim, black grills, smoked side markers, LED plate lights, H&R coils, Borla catback
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #5
DannyP
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep

Days later one of the front tires was completely flat and yellow or red lights came up. What I pulled out by Carfax is that the car is clean. If anyone else can help I'll appreciate. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 04:25 AM   #6
J02 335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyP View Post
Days later one of the front tires was completely flat and yellow or red lights came up. What I pulled out by Carfax is that the car is clean. If anyone else can help I'll appreciate. Thanks!
Not to sure what Carfax has to do with a flat. Sorry op I'm a little confused as to what your saying here?

Sport pack, JB3, Dci, factory oil cooler, 18" M3 reps, Michelin PSS, painted trim, black grills, smoked side markers, LED plate lights, H&R coils, Borla catback
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
DannyP
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep

I purchased the car through a dealer that brought the car from Canada. I checked carfax to see if there were any problem with car. It came ip clean. After I purchased the car I noticed that the tire didn't had tpms cause I had flat tire and it didn't indicated that I had a flat one I checked the iDrive under vehicle info and it had flat tire monitor but all four tires indicated that were ok. So if you say that canadian cars doesn't have tpms how does really work? Cause it didn't light up neither a yellow or red light.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #8
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

Canadian BMWs use what is called Indirect TPMS

Indirect TPMS do not use physical pressure sensors but measure air pressures by monitoring individual wheel rotational speeds and other signals available outside of the tire itself. First generation iTPMS systems utilize the effect that an under-inflated tire has a slightly smaller diameter (and hence higher angular velocity) than a correctly inflated one. These differences are measurable through the wheel speed sensors of ABS/ESC systems. Second generation iTPMS can also detect simultaneous under-inflation in up to all four tires using spectrum analysis of individual wheels, which can be realized in software using advanced signal processing techniques. The spectrum analysis is based on the principle that certain eigenforms and frequencies of the tire/wheel assembly are highly sensitive to the inflation pressure. These oscillations can hence be monitored through advanced signal processing of the wheel speed signals. Current[when?] iTPMS consist of software modules being integrated into the ABS/ESC units.

iTPMS cannot measure or display absolute pressure values, they are relative by nature and have to be reset by the driver once the tires are checked and all pressures adjusted correctly. The reset is normally done either by a physical button or in a menu of the on-board computer. iTPMS are, compared to dTPMS, more sensitive to the influences of different tires and external influences like road surfaces and driving speed or style. The reset procedure, followed by an automatic learning phase of typically 20 to 60 minutes of driving under which the iTPMS learns and stores the reference parameters before it becomes fully active, cancels out many, but not all of these. As iTPMS do not involve any additional hardware, spare parts, electronic or toxic waste as well as service whatsoever (beyond the regular reset), they are regarded as easy to handle and very customer friendly.
      04-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #9
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by J02 335i View Post
Canadian car's use the wheel speed sensors (ABS) for TPM's so there are no sensors in the wheels. So there is just a light that comes if the tire is low (yellow) and (red) light for when the tire is flat.
I understood you.
      04-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
J02 335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
I understood you.
Thanks, Im glad somebody did lol.

Appreciate 0