E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335 Coupe 6mt VS C6 Corvette 6mt

05-12-2007, 11:48 AM   #1
razormy
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

335 Coupe 6mt VS C6 Corvette 6mt

Just got the second Procede yesterday and installed it late last night. This morning I drove to work and finally got to feel what all this hype is about. I have to say that there's a nice difference from stock program.

My buddy stopped by my work today with his 07 C6 Corvette and we thought what the hell, let's run them.

Just to introduce the driver of the C6 and myself so there's no doubt by anyone responding to this that we couldn't drive or something stupid like that. Both the C6 driver and myself come from drag racing background. We both, in our previous years did lot's of street racing...

Ok, so we drove west to an empty road with no traffic, usually a tractor will drive by but for the most part, no cars.

Race #1 (2nd gear roll high rpm between 4-5k)

Forgot to turn off traction control.
C6 started edging instantly.
Gained 1.25 cars on me by 4th gear.

Race #2 (1st gear launch (from stop)

Cars even in 1st gear
My shifter popped out when I hit second. I had to let off being that I could find the shifter

Race #3 (1st gear launch (from stop)

1st gear I had a quarter car on him due to his slight wheel spin.
2nd gear even
3rd gear C6 by half car
4th gear C6 by almost a car length

Race #3 (2nd Gear roll)

By the end of 4th he had a half car on me (very close)

My 335 has a Procede and I have 19" wheels with 275.

There's a phenomenon that I keep experiencing when drag racing the car, in 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd, even if I shift fast, the throttle does not engage fast. It's not the clutch slipping. It just feels like theres a very big hesitation at those points. 3rd to 4th is no problem. Considering I already removed the CDV, which helped tremendously, there's still a hesitation. Can anyone tell me what the hell this is? If it wasn't for this hesitation I think the race would have looked slightly different. I did shut off both DTC and DSC.

As you can see however, with the Procede, cars are nearly identical from 2nd gear and up. i will venture to say, and please don't flame me, that it would be a drivers race between the C6 and a Proceded 335.

Also, C6 owners are not allowed to respond to this thread.

Last edited by razormy; 05-12-2007 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2007, 11:53 AM   #2
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by razormy View Post

Too bad.

That's not surprising at all. The RWHP is on Procede 335 is similar to a stock C6. As the race goes longer, the C6 should pull ahead but short races the 335 can make it very interesting. Doesn't take much work on the C6 to change all that though.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2007, 11:55 AM   #3
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Questions. What speed were you going on the 2nd gear rolls when you took off? Where you both in 2nd?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2007, 11:59 AM   #4
razormy
Private
Rep

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsarge View Post
Questions. What speed were you going on the 2nd gear rolls when you took off? Where you both in 2nd?
Don't know the speed. However it was high rpm between 4-5k

We both wanted a power band that would be close for both of us.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2007, 12:02 PM   #5
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Just got the second Procede yesterday and installed it late last night. This morning I drove to work and finally got to feel what all this hype is about. I have to say that there's a nice difference from stock program.

My buddy stopped by my work today with his 07 C6 Corvette and we thought what the hell, let's run them.

Just to introduce the driver of the C6 and myself so there's no doubt by anyone responding to this that we couldn't drive or something stupid like that. Both the C6 driver and myself come from drag racing background. We both, in our previous years did lot's of street racing...

Ok, so we drove west to an empty road with no traffic, usually a tractor will drive by but for the most part, no cars.

Cars even in 1st gear
My shifter popped out when I hit second. I had to let off being that I could find the shifter

2nd gear even
3rd gear half car
4th gear almost a car length

Race #3 (2nd Gear roll)

There's a phenomenon that I keep experiencing when drag racing the car, in 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd, even if I shift fast, the throttle does not engage fast. It's not the clutch slipping. It just feels like theres a very big hesitation at those points. 3rd to 4th is no problem. Considering I already removed the CDV, which helped tremendously, there's still a hesitation. Can anyone tell me what the hell this is? If it wasn't for this hesitation I think the race would have looked slightly different. I did shut off both DTC and DSC.

As you can see however, with the Procede, cars are nearly identical from 2nd gear and up. i will venture to say, and please don't flame me, that it would be a drivers race between the C6 and a Proceded 335.

Nice. This is all great to know...very impressive that the the power of a PROcede-equipped 335i is so close to that of a brand new '07 stock C6 'Vette (with 400BHP)! Thanks for sharing. btw -- what road did you have fun on??? Was it Southern Blvd. West, past Loxahatchee (going toward Belle Glade) or was it the Beeline Expressway? Just wondering.

What I find baffling are those ppl who say the difference between a stock 335i and a PROcede 335i is minimal. I've driven in a couple 335i loaners when my car has been in for service, and I can't believe the difference between the two...although a 1/2 sec. difference might seem insignificant (and a stock 335i is by no means "slow"), the "get up and go" difference is just like night & day...a PROcede 335i just has so much HP/TQ!

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2007, 12:21 PM   #6
Blk07335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2

Quote:

Cars even in 1st gear

2nd gear even
3rd gear half car
4th gear almost a car length

Race #3 (2nd Gear roll)

I've also experienced this hesitation shifting between gears and I have a step. It's almost like the boost gets turned off or is restricted for 1/2 sec or so until the gear transition is complete. I was hoping the Procede would help this a bit. I guess not.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2007, 12:24 PM   #7
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Yes, I too have the CDV mod done and still feel slight hesitation that youre talking about.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=25 This could explain a lot.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2007, 12:38 PM   #8
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

In race #3 who had the 1/2 car length in 3rd that turned into nearly a car length in 4th.
I would guess it would be the Corvette?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2007, 02:14 PM   #9
razormy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
In race #3 who had the 1/2 car length in 3rd that turned into nearly a car length in 4th.
I would guess it would be the Corvette?
Corvette took the win.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2007, 02:16 PM   #10
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

I suggest you re-race.

With 4 people in each car + luggage and golf clubs for a weekend
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2007, 02:20 PM   #11
turbocoins
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z06, '07 MKZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
I suggest you re-race.

With 4 people in each car + luggage and golf clubs for a weekend
But corvette still wins (even though 2 people are on the roof.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2007, 02:29 PM   #12
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Corvette took the win.

I kind of thought so, as they trap faster than a PROceded 335i.

Just as we were getting close to matching base C6 Corvette times, they bore the thing out and make it a 6.2 liter and add 34 hp to it.
They just dropped another .2-.3 tenths and added 2+ mph now.
Gotta give GM props, the C6 Corvette is one hell of an all around performance bargain for $50K, even more so for 2008.
Sweet rides, I'll take one in that neat Atomic Orange. Sweet!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2007, 03:10 PM   #13
95 Z/28 LT1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

The hesitation sounds like the fuel pump failure symptoms. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2007, 03:29 PM   #14
razormy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
btw -- what road did you have fun on??? Was it Southern Blvd. West, past Loxahatchee (going toward Belle Glade) or was it the Beeline Expressway? Just wondering.
Jupiter Farms west
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2007, 04:01 PM   #15
redlinejunkie
Private
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

the hesitation you are experiencing comes from drive by wire. Same thing happens in the Subarus that has them. (thats why i prefer evos over subi) No matter how quick you shift the cars hesitates like tenth of a second. And if you shift 4 times that makes almost half a second.

I would be curious to see what your car would do against him from a low speed like 40 mph in 3rd gear, and him being in 3rd gear also. Because everytime you upshift all things being equal, you are loosing time.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2007, 04:21 PM   #16
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Jupiter Farms west
oh, ok...yeah, you're right...not too many cars out there.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2007, 04:35 PM   #17
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3

Quote:
I have also have experienced this....check this:

http://www.vishnutuningforum.com/for...read.php?t=100

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2007, 04:37 PM   #18
AF
car nut
Rep
Drives: M550i xdrive

Great post thanks for the details on the race.

I have a C6 Corvette (too bad I replied )and will be picking up my 335i in a week or two (it's replacing my Audi) so I'll have both of these cars ...

It's amazing how fast the 335 is ...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2007, 04:37 PM   #19
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinejunkie View Post
I would be curious to see what your car would do against him from a low speed like 40 mph in 3rd gear, and him being in 3rd gear also. Because everytime you upshift all things being equal, you are loosing time.
That's not a fair "real-world" simulation because any C6 driver with half a brain will not be downshifting in 3rd at 40. They'll still be in 1st at that point. The difference in gearing between the cars makes it difficult to do a fair run like that and puts the 335 at a disadvantage in most cases because the C6 will be in a lower gear. If you "match" gears so both are in the same gear at the same speed, the C6 is at a disadvantage because it's in the wrong gear for the speed and you're not seeing the true measure of what it can do.

Here's the shift points for the C6 in a "race" scenario.

1-55
2-85
3-120
4-150

The gearing and power in the C6 have gives you some broad range compared to most cars. You can downshift into the following gears as long as your not exceeding the following speeds.

1-50
2-74
3-101
4-130
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2007, 04:51 PM   #20
Dannys M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F Type R

Garage List
2008 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Jupiter Farms west
An excellent choice for high speed runs, almost 5 miles with no side entrance ways. I live in the farms.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2007, 05:03 PM   #21
razormy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannys 335i View Post
An excellent choice for high speed runs, almost 5 miles with no side entrance ways. I live in the farms.
Yeah, the last thing I need on my conscious is to kill someone.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2007, 05:08 PM   #22
razormy
Private
Rep

Update

Not that it makes any difference but my friend just told me he has a K&N filter in his C6. Either way, I consider that stock. Filter only doesn't really do anything but give you slightly better throttle response.
Appreciate 0