E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Thrust Rod Bushings Not Covered Under CPO?

05-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
silversnl
2 Wheels is better than 4
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M4  [0.00]
2011 Ducati 848 EVO  [0.00]
Thrust Rod Bushings Not Covered Under CPO?

So a couple weeks ago I took my car into the stealership to get the radio programmed to work with my retrofit Sirius module. The day prior I was in at a local indy shop and they recommended new thrust rod bushings due to the installed ones being blown out and having a bit of play. While at the stealer, I had them take a look and check to see if they were under warranty. They said they were indeed blown and needed replaced, but they weren't covered under warranty.

Some other info to address the questions before they come up:

Was at the indy shop to have H&R Sports installed. They noticed the thrust rod bushing wear when doing the swap from stock springs over to the H&Rs.

Dealer was the only place that could program the stereo (in hindsight, I've discovered there was another option that wouldn't have cost me $120)

Last edited by silversnl; 05-27-2013 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

I'm guessing maybe it's a wear item? They're not that expensive to install. Your indy shop should be able to take care of that fairly easily or you can DIY if you fee so inclined.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
silversnl
2 Wheels is better than 4
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M4  [0.00]
2011 Ducati 848 EVO  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
I'm guessing maybe it's a wear item? They're not that expensive to install. Your indy shop should be able to take care of that fairly easily or you can DIY if you fee so inclined.
This is that part I didn't want to admit. My indy shop quoted me for both brakes and the thrust bushings. Unfortunately, when the dealership quoted me on the thrust rod replacement, I mistakenly recalled the brake replacement quote from the indy shop and told the dealer to do the work

I just wasn't sure if I could email BMWNA and request a refund.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

You can definitely contact BMW NA. It never hurts to ask.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
keitaro0202
Rep
Drives: 330xi

if bushings are LEAKING should be under cpo with $50 deductible
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
mhadden
Precision Driver!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i sedan

Long time lurker, first time poster. I just had a similar situation regarding the thrust bushings (leaking, need to be replaced, not covered under warrant). However, in addition to CPO, I also have a BMW extended maintenance plan (courtesy of the previous owner) and I'm still being told its not covered because it's a "wear item". I thought the extended maintenance plan is essentially supposed to cover everything but tires? I plan on calling BMW NA today about it but I'm curious if I'm boned or not.

I did already order Mehle HD replacements, though...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Bushings and suspension aren't covered under CPO *OR* maint. plan.
My car is in for control arm bushings. -> Not Covered, wear item.
The only real wear items that are covered are brakes, clutch, wipers.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

You'd be amazed what isn't covered under CPO. And the length they go to not inform you of this when you're buying a CPO car.

The worst I heard recently over on another forum was a guy had a bell housing to engine bolt shear off, found it sitting in his driveway. Not covered! But to fix it the whole assembly has to be removed and taken apart, voiding the rest of the CPO. Nice scam.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
mhadden
Precision Driver!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
Bushings and suspension aren't covered under CPO *OR* maint. plan.
My car is in for control arm bushings. -> Not Covered, wear item.
The only real wear items that are covered are brakes, clutch, wipers.
Yeah - what a crock! I'm glad I didn't pay up front for the maintenance plan (it came with the car). I'd be pissed knowing that I spend a good chunk o' change to have something small not covered. I mean, seriously, brakes and **clutches** are covered, but a simple, poorly designed bushing is not? Oh well, hopefully the Mehle HD part is far superior and holds up 100k miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
You'd be amazed what isn't covered under CPO. And the length they go to not inform you of this when you're buying a CPO car.

The worst I heard recently over on another forum was a guy had a bell housing to engine bolt shear off, found it sitting in his driveway. Not covered! But to fix it the whole assembly has to be removed and taken apart, voiding the rest of the CPO. Nice scam.
Fact! I guess I was bewildered when I was asking for some sort of paperwork of what was covered and what wasn't when I purchased the car and being told that no paperwork comes with the car (fortunately I saw on a BMW computer where it was CPO and Maintenance covered). I never could get a clear answer or even a fancy printout of the sheet that says it all.

Fortunately the smiles are worth the minor niggle.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #10
bhmax16
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M4, '23 CX-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post

Crap like this makes me glad I bought my BMW used from Bertera Dodge. Compared to the CPO vehicle at the BMW dealer down the street, the one I bought at Bertera Dodge was in better shape, was fully loaded except for Nav, and a whopping $5,000 cheaper. It had 49k on it when I bought it, so I got everything replaced I could think of while I still had the 1,000 miles left on the factory warranty and have maintained the vehicle myself ever since. I have saved a ton of money vs. had I paid an extra $5k for a crappier vehicle through the dealer simply because it was CPO
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #11
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Let me be clear about CPO, it is supposed to only cover drivetrain issues. To me that means like long block, tranny, diff, transfer case (Xi) maybe half shafts. Major items. Maybe radiator water pumps etc. Glad I haven't needed to find out the hard way what mine does not cover.

I do not think suspension bushings fall into this category. Bolt breaking on the bell housing, yeah. It's when they try to get out of what they say they will cover that is sleazy, suspension brakes clutch etc they say up front they do not cover (when you ask, and I did). They do not go out of their way to explain it though, and nowhere in writing that they could not weasel out of if they tried.

In my case I bought a used dealer loaner car, low miles, with remaining 4-yr/50k + CPO added to the end of that. It is now into the CPO part and would need to think hard about taking all the mods off to make a claim if needed, depends on how big a deal it was I guess.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 12:07 AM   #12
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

My car was/is CPO. I paid $6k under KBB. The color was just bad for the area I'm in. People in Silicon Valley don't like Arctic Metallic.

Anyway.
The maint. plan is a joke. Way overpriced for a few oil changes, brakes and plugs. I bought it but in retrospect I would not again. I'm making sure I get the brakes done along with anything else when I go in.

My SA is great through. When I go in for the maint. he looks for any and everything that is possibly wrong. Right now, they are replacing charge pipe, valve cover gasket, claps and vacuum hoses. They found some oil in my charge pipe and decided that it looked old an worn, etc...

My car has had the following done under CPO:
Set of plugs because one set was fouled by bad injectors:
Partial set of injectors.
Full set of injectors when the part numbers changed.
2 HPFP, one just because they were swapping out the full set of injectors, the first when it died and left me on the side of the road.
Water pump and thermostat.
Vanos sensors
crank sensor
Valve cover and gasket(cracked)
Gasket second time due to leaking
Charge pipe, seals clamps etc.
O2 sensors

Some additional stuff.
My SA says while on the dime of BMW change everything that looks suspect.

CPO is worth it if you ever have an issue. The HPFP they would change anyway.
But under CPO, they don't hesitate to diagnose and replace.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #13
mhadden
Precision Driver!
United_States
Rep

I just swapped out my tension struts from OEM to the Meyle HD last night. It wasn't a bad project except I broke two T-40 sockets trying to get the passenger side ball joint out! My 50-60mph steering wobble is gone! Feels just like it did before the bushings went out.

Now to see if I can convince my preferred dealer (not D&R) that an alignment check should be performed under maintenance/CPO
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #14
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Mine were covered under CPO
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #15
mhadden
Precision Driver!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Mine were covered under CPO
Unfortunately after talking with 3 dealers (two of which I trust and take my car to), no one would cover it. I made a point to tell the others that they were only leaking, not shot, but it didn't matter.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #16
Denny347
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhadden View Post
I just swapped out my tension struts from OEM to the Meyle HD last night. It wasn't a bad project except I broke two T-40 sockets trying to get the passenger side ball joint out! My 50-60mph steering wobble is gone! Feels just like it did before the bushings went out.

Now to see if I can convince my preferred dealer (not D&R) that an alignment check should be performed under maintenance/CPO
Mine does the same thing. I've got 85k miles on it so I'm sure they are worn out.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #17
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

Can any of you provide a copy of your service receipt to prove that the bushing were replaced under the CPO warranty? It would greatly help me plead my current case.

When I bought my car, I paid for BMW to do an inspection. In their notes they wrote "Front Thrust Rod Bushings cracked and leaked out."

On BMWUSA is specifically says "The components listed in the “Wear and Tear Only”section are covered for defects in materials or workmanship."

At this point, it's not even about the money. It's about the principle of the matter. The rubber cracked which caused the part to fail. That is a clear indication of a defect in materials. Tires wear out from wear and tear. However, if they crack within the warranty period, that is a clear indication of a defect in the material.

Also of note: On the BMW website it says to ask your local dealership to view the "CPO Consumer Information Statement." BMW of Austin nor BMW Customer Service knew what that was.

We are getting screwed around on this and things aren't being honored under the CPO Warranty. Hopefully, I can get some backing on this.
Appreciate 0