E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Moving from Texas to Toronto. BMW 330I.

01-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #23
Fozzy
Waaka Waaka
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 xdrive & 2015 F15

Booze is 50%+ more in Canada.
Shoes and clothes typically 30% more

Don't drive 50km/h over the limit at any time, not just the winter. Instant license loss.

And winter tires are not necessary in March, you'll likely get 3-6 snow days max after March 1, less snow in downtown area more in the burbs. If it's really bad a lot of people who are able just work from home, somewhat acceptable here. Most people put on summers in May

As far a social scene, I would not want to be anywhere outside downtown Toronto, but I'm biased
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #24
Toppower
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 35i M-sport

move

Quote:
Originally Posted by borntovin View Post
I want to start do some shopping for the things that are expensive in canada but cheaper in USA. I am not talking about groceries, but things like Formal Shoes, Suits, Nike Shoes, Office Clothing any electronics?

Please suggest things that i can buy and bring from US and save some money and taxes. Thanks in advance for all of your input so far.
Welcome to Canada in advance.

There is no way in hell I would consider driving a rear drive BMW in our winters. Its just too dangerous. Buy a set of winter tires and rims before you cross the border. TireRack should do you fine.

Buy Suits and don't forget to buy your Designer Winter Over Coat.

Good Luck !!!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #25
sonitm
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i 6MT white

Quote:
Moving to Toronto sometime in March from Dallas,TX USA. I will be driving my 2006 330I with All Season Continental DWS tires. Is it safe to drive around in Toronto with these tires? Will be driving no more than 30 miles a week once i am in Toronto. Just spent over 1000$ fore New Wheels and New tires to make a drive all the way.

Any suggestions, warning and things to take care before making this drive?
I strongly suggest winter tires on steel rims. The day we get 2-3 feet of snow the RWD will have a hard time getting around. A good set of winters and you will plow with ease. The city uses salt to melt the snow, you want to protect your alloy wheels.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #26
sonitm
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i 6MT white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy View Post
Booze is 50%+ more in Canada.
Shoes and clothes typically 30% more

Don't drive 50km/h over the limit at any time, not just the winter. Instant license loss.

And winter tires are not necessary in March, you'll likely get 3-6 snow days max after March 1, less snow in downtown area more in the burbs. If it's really bad a lot of people who are able just work from home, somewhat acceptable here. Most people put on summers in May

As far a social scene, I would not want to be anywhere outside downtown Toronto, but I'm biased
Don't forget about the instant vehicle impound for 7 days.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #27
borntovin
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330I Silver, E90

50 KM ph is way too slow, its 31 MPH. Is this the same limit through out the year on highways like interstates?

Or is this is a restriction on state highways or streets?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #28
MOAB
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche & BMW

Quote:
50 KM ph is way too slow, its 31 MPH. Is this the same limit through out the year on highways like interstates?

Or is this is a restriction on state highways or streets?
50 km/h OVER the posted limit.
      01-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #29
Fozzy
Waaka Waaka
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 xdrive & 2015 F15

btw it's 14 degrees C or ~57 F today. Hasn't snowed since xmas.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #30
borntovin
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330I Silver, E90

Thanks for the warning, it made more sense about 50 kph over the posted speed limit warning after reading the bill 203. I wonder how many people ended up paying 10,000$ fine.

I decided to rely upon the continental extreme contact DWS and my safe driving skills for the next 9 to 10 months. Will consider winter tires for next winter' sometime in Nov or Dec 2013.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #31
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by borntovin
Thanks for the warning, it made more sense about 50 kph over the posted speed limit warning after reading the bill 203. I wonder how many people ended up paying 10,000$ fine.

I decided to rely upon the continental extreme contact DWS and my safe driving skills for the next 9 to 10 months. Will consider winter tires for next winter' sometime in Nov or Dec 2013.
Don't think you won't pay a hefty fine lol - a buddy of my brothers paid $5000 and I believe it was a first time offense.

They take this speeding/racing thing much more seriously than they used too. And with good reason anyways.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #32
Andy M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihsanshaik View Post
Dont bring your guns there.
Why not?? I own a lot of them! Assault rifles too!

Actually you should check the gun laws in Canada if you are bringing them. You can't bring in full-auto guns, guns with barrels that are too short (e.g. HK USP Compact), and 30 rnd mags. You need to get a Canadian firearms license first before you import them too. Otherwise you shouldn't have too much problem at all. I might buy a DD M4v3 from the US and all you have to do is register them.

As for the car thing, I highly recommend winter tires too. In Toronto, RWD is ok with winters...I think you could even get by with all-season tires but when the roads get bad, the all-seasons aren't that good. Fortunately for Toronto, they use so much salt here and they're really good on the salting/shoveling that the roads are often bare if you wait a bit after a huge snowfall.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #33
MOAB
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche & BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
Why not?? I own a lot of them! Assault rifles too!

Actually you should check the gun laws in Canada if you are bringing them. You can't bring in full-auto guns, guns with barrels that are too short (e.g. HK USP Compact), and 30 rnd mags. You need to get a Canadian firearms license first before you import them too. Otherwise you shouldn't have too much problem at all. I might buy a DD M4v3 from the US and all you have to do is register them.

As for the car thing, I highly recommend winter tires too. In Toronto, RWD is ok with winters...I think you could even get by with all-season tires but when the roads get bad, the all-seasons aren't that good. Fortunately for Toronto, they use so much salt here and they're really good on the salting/shoveling that the roads are often bare if you wait a bit after a huge snowfall.
don't forget that you need a permit to transport any "restricted" firearm (i.e. any hangun or "assault type" weapon like an AR-15) and you will have to join a gun club since they only place you can "transport" such a firearm is from your home to the gun club. A bit of a PITA, but I don't have an issue with these kinds of rules.