E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Removing front NJ license plate in PA??

05-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
KdoubleU
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Therefore I am.

Removing front NJ license plate in PA??

I am living in Pennsylvania where a front license plate is not required, however my car remains registered in NJ so I was wondering you guys take on the rule.

Technically my NJ registration requires both license plates, but I would imagine PA cops don't care about whether or not I abide by NJ registration rules, as long as I abide by PA road rules. So, what do you think? Would removing my front NJ license plate be a problem in PA? I tried searching the net, but cannot find examples of this situation. Thx

OEM 359M|KWv1|JB4|AR DP|335is Exhaust|CYBA Tips|Arkym Lip (RIP)|BMW Perf Steering Wheel|BMW Perf Spoiler|LCI|V1|Lux
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
chau
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

Why not just register the car in PA?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
bimmerboi19
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chau
X2...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
KdoubleU
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chau View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboi19 View Post
X2...
I have my reasons. Any other insight to my question?

OEM 359M|KWv1|JB4|AR DP|335is Exhaust|CYBA Tips|Arkym Lip (RIP)|BMW Perf Steering Wheel|BMW Perf Spoiler|LCI|V1|Lux
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
Mr.335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Insurance should be cheaper in PA if that helps in switching your plates over.

Anyway to answer your question, no you shouldn't remove your front plate. If you do get pulled over and they see your from NJ they'll no your state is required a front license plate.

This is a quote from an officer on there forum sites. "Here in So. CA we see lots of Arizona cars - no front plate requirement in AZ, but there is in CA. Most CA cops know about AZ plate laws, but there are 48 other states that we may or may not know if it is required. So basically, you can be stopped for no front plate in CA. If your state does not require a front plate - and the officer knows this - you will be on your way once he/she figures that out. However, if the officer does not know about your state's code requirements, he/she can still issue you the cite - and best not to argue - you will be able to get it dismissed easy enough after the fact. If you do a lot of interstate driving, I might suggest keeping a printout of the Vehicle Code section from your state with your registration - that way the officer can have a reference and make a more informed decision.

One small department I worked for actually took the time to make a list of all the states & their plate requirements and gave us each a copy - don't know why we don't all do this, would save a lot of time on both sides."

Link is here http://forums.officer.com/t83853/#post1116696
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
KdoubleU
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.335 View Post
Insurance should be cheaper in PA if that helps in switching your plates over.

Anyway to answer your question, no you shouldn't remove your front plate. If you do get pulled over and they see your from NJ they'll no your state is required a front license plate.

This is a quote from an officer on there forum sites. "Here in So. CA we see lots of Arizona cars - no front plate requirement in AZ, but there is in CA. Most CA cops know about AZ plate laws, but there are 48 other states that we may or may not know if it is required. So basically, you can be stopped for no front plate in CA. If your state does not require a front plate - and the officer knows this - you will be on your way once he/she figures that out. However, if the officer does not know about your state's code requirements, he/she can still issue you the cite - and best not to argue - you will be able to get it dismissed easy enough after the fact. If you do a lot of interstate driving, I might suggest keeping a printout of the Vehicle Code section from your state with your registration - that way the officer can have a reference and make a more informed decision.

One small department I worked for actually took the time to make a list of all the states & their plate requirements and gave us each a copy - don't know why we don't all do this, would save a lot of time on both sides."

Link is here http://forums.officer.com/t83853/#post1116696
I plan on being in PA for just a few months. With the $ to make my car legal enough to pass inspection, it just doesn't make sense to switch all of my paperwork to PA, just to switch it right back. Wanted to enjoy the freedom of no front license plate for a while

You're right though, probably best just to keep it legit. Thanks for link/info.

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
Mr.335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdoubleU View Post
I plan on being in PA for just a few months. With the $ to make my car legal enough to pass inspection, it just doesn't make sense to switch all of my paperwork to PA, just to switch it right back. Wanted to enjoy the freedom of no front license plate for a while

You're right though, probably best just to keep it legit. Thanks for link/info.
Np!

I was in the same boat when I was going to florida in my evo. I had the license plate on my lower grille (blocked about 20% of the FMIC). Figured since I had NY plates I could take it off. Ended up researching it and it was a chance in the end. You can either get a cop that doesnt know the law in your original state for license plate code, or you can get a cop that does and then that sucks with a dumb fine
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
AW335OME
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E90 M3, F80 M3

Not sure on this since I actually do see a lot of florida cars in NJ with no front plate

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #9
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

Plates aren't required in FL so if they go up to NY, it'll be fine. Home state rules apply. What he's saying is that the reverse is also true. If you're required to have both plates, and you go to a state that doesn't require it, your home state rules apply and they can cite you.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #10
ZheHbKa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: the Wind

Garage List
2014 BMW 335 Xi  [10.00]
Quote:
I am living in Pennsylvania where a front license plate is not required, however my car remains registered in NJ so I was wondering you guys take on the rule.

Technically my NJ registration requires both license plates, but I would imagine PA cops don't care about whether or not I abide by NJ registration rules, as long as I abide by PA road rules. So, what do you think? Would removing my front NJ license plate be a problem in PA? I tried searching the net, but cannot find examples of this situation. Thx
yes u can, but make sure that u put it back on when u go to NJ

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #11
KdoubleU
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZheHbKa View Post
yes u can, but make sure that u put it back on when u go to NJ
Hey, thanks. Do you have any backup info that makes you believe this?

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #12
ZheHbKa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: the Wind

Garage List
2014 BMW 335 Xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Hey, thanks. Do you have any backup info that makes you believe this?
yes, used to do that with NY plates. each state is independent in this regard, they dont know each other's laws and cant enforce it

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #13
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
I'd run without it....I doubt PA cops even give a sh*t, but it is a gamble.

buy a toe hook plate holder and keep it in the car behind the passenger seat...if you get pulled over tell them you had it off because you're going to an automatic car wash and the manufacturer (of the plate holder) states that it must come off before entering automatic car washes. Works for me.....see below
Appreciate 0