E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Clutch flywheel fitment

10-13-2017, 05:52 PM   #45
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

The 330i uses a 240mm, and the 240mm will fit the other cars if the flywheel & pressure plate are the same.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 03:24 PM   #46
330iE90
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaanBMW View Post
No real vibrations, but there is jerkyness due to the dmfw.

Funny, I actually swapped my tranny bushings way back to e46 m3's, could barely shift and got them out pronto. Was thinking about trying that again, sounds like it's not a good idea if converting to a smfw.

what shifter bushing upgrade did you do ? was it #7 here ? what did you upgrade to ?

i'm slowly leaning towards converting to smfw, i drive quite spirited and it sound like it a smfw increases the car's sporty feel and responsiveness.

I mean the only downside to it is the extra noise. But the level of noise will depend on your set up. Im kind of getting used to it already and I think the trade off for the fun factor is worth it.

The shifter upgrade i did was from ECS. You can find it there and it replaces a lot the bushings in there. I think from the pic in changed #2. This i would strongly suggest. But you cannot do this upgrade easily with the transmission in, best to do with clutch job.

Id say do it, if you plan to get exhaust or headers down the line you wont be able to notice the noise if you even do have one.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 03:43 PM   #47
Travzvt
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi E91

Garage List
2008 BMW E91  [0.00]
Thanks for the info guys! My car is at the shop right now getting it popped in.
      10-19-2017, 03:59 PM   #48
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iE90 View Post
The shifter upgrade i did was from ECS. You can find it there and it replaces a lot the bushings in there. I think from the pic in changed #2. This i would strongly suggest
Yeah, you got this kit here (basically $70 for 2 bushings split in 4 teflon halves, it's a bit of a rip-off): https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...it/2511-002~3/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travzvt View Post
Thanks for the info guys! My car is at the shop right now getting it popped in.
Are you getting the valeo kit or ? Is the rest of the car stock ? I'd like to hear a recording of how it sounds after you get it installed.
. BMW Perf: v2 springs + v1 dampers. Valeo SMFW+clutch. 034 MotorSport engine mounts
. Short Shifter + Turner PU bearing + ZHP M weighted shift knob. CDV delete
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 05:53 PM   #49
330iE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, you got this kit here (basically $70 for 2 bushings split in 4 teflon halves, it's a bit of a rip-off): https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...it/2511-002~3/

What car are you searching? I bought this kit. It is a whole rebuild for everything there.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...-kit/sftrbkt2/

I have e90 330i I know not all parts are interchangeable between 325i/328i
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 07:45 AM   #50
Travzvt
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Are you getting the valeo kit or ? Is the rest of the car stock ? I'd like to hear a recording of how it sounds after you get it installed.
Yeah I got the Valeo kit with no other mods and a fresh transmission mount. I can get you a recording from inside and out when I get it back.
      10-20-2017, 11:38 AM   #51
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:
What car are you searching? I bought this kit. It is a whole rebuild for everything there.

Ok, that is the larger kit, but if you look what is in it, it comes down to those teflon split bushings being ridiculously overpriced. I know it feels a lot better than what was replaced, but since all is worn out I am wondering how much of a difference those bushings really do vs OEM new not worn.

BTW what are the 2 self locking nuts for ?

Quote:
Yeah I got the Valeo kit with no other mods and a fresh transmission mount. I can get you a recording from inside and out when I get it back.
Great, looking fwd to it !
. BMW Perf: v2 springs + v1 dampers. Valeo SMFW+clutch. 034 MotorSport engine mounts
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 10:06 AM   #52
Travzvt
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:

Great, looking fwd to it !
Conversion kit is in. I'll try to grab a recording, but I can't hear anything at idle. There is a slight grunt on take off, but that's the only noise I've noticed. Pedal feel is greatly improved!
      10-24-2017, 08:37 PM   #53
330iE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ok, that is the larger kit, but if you look what is in it, it comes down to those teflon split bushings being ridiculously overpriced. I know it feels a lot better than what was replaced, but since all is worn out I am wondering how much of a difference those bushings really do vs OEM new not worn.

BTW what are the 2 self locking nuts for ?

It is well worth it though. Shifting is so much better
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 12:23 AM   #54
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Conversion kit is in. I'll try to grab a recording, but I can't hear anything at idle. There is a slight grunt on take off, but that's the only noise I've noticed. Pedal feel is greatly improved!
You know this pretty much is contrary to what most people seem to experience - i.e. a lot more noise due to gear chatter now not masked by the dmfw anymore?

it feels stupid to ask if you're sure... is there no noise noticeable even standing outside the car ? how cold is it now where you live ? did you get the engine a good spanking with the new clutch, so as to get it nice & hot ? the noise is reportedly worse when ambient temp. is high, but a hot engine should be close enough.

Quote:
It is well worth it though. Shifting is so much better
I don't doubt it. I'm just not sure it's much different than a set of new OEM bushings.

Can you clarify the question I had reg. the 2 self-locking nuts ?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 09:11 AM   #55
Travzvt
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
You know this pretty much is contrary to what most people seem to experience - i.e. a lot more noise due to gear chatter now not masked by the dmfw anymore?

it feels stupid to ask if you're sure... is there no noise noticeable even standing outside the car ? how cold is it now where you live ? did you get the engine a good spanking with the new clutch, so as to get it nice & hot ? the noise is reportedly worse when ambient temp. is high, but a hot engine should be close enough.
Yeah, I was waiting for something as far as chatter or some kind of driveline noise, but it really didn't seem like anything changed. When it was picked up I drove it pretty hard to see if there were any gremlins, but no odd noises other than the growl at launch. It's been warm, in the 70's during the day. Tuesday was 45 when I left for work.

I'll get the video Saturday, that's my only free day since I've gotten it back. Inside, outside, and under hood both warm and cold. Maybe it's there and I'm not hearing it?
      10-26-2017, 06:17 PM   #56
330iE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
I don't doubt it. I'm just not sure it's much different than a set of new OEM bushings.

Can you clarify the question I had reg. the 2 self-locking nuts ?
You know what I am actually not sure. I looked over the real oem page and could match all the parts up besides the locking nuts.
Did some digging and found out that these locking nuts do not belong in this kit. Not unusual of ECS having items in their kits that do not belong there.

I had a guy near me test drive my car, he has the same e90 330i but stock shifter set up with not old bushings and he was really impressed with the feel. Just throwing this out there.

Quote:
Seems like with stock bushings there is barely any noise if any with the valeo kit. Feeling much better about my set up now. Looking forward to that video, I will try to see if I can put one up of my car too.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 02:38 PM   #57
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Did some digging and found out that these locking nuts do not belong in this kit.

I had a guy near me test drive my car, he has the same e90 330i but stock shifter set up with not old bushings and he was really impressed with the feel. Just throwing this out there.
on locking nuts - makes sense.

that info on the comparison is good ! I guess the only question is what "not old" means ? +to make sure - you do not have a ssk or an aftermarket, you are also stock just with the bushing kit from ECS ?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 02:49 PM   #58
Travzvt
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E91  [0.00]
It was a beautiful day outside, so I managed to get 2 quick videos at lunch. One is my phone right above the hood idling, the second is leaving a stop sign. Both videos are of a warm motor with about 40 minutes of driving time in the hills and it's about 50 degrees.

Let me know if you would like a video from another location.

10-27-2017, 08:10 PM   #59
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

thanks for the videos ! agreed, no obnoxious noises I can discern. maybe try to turn all loads - headlights, a/c, anything really

some of the videos I looked at, much worse (not e9x's):

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 03:36 PM   #60
330iE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
on locking nuts - makes sense.

that info on the comparison is good ! I guess the only question is what "not old" means ? +to make sure - you do not have a ssk or an aftermarket, you are also stock just with the bushing kit from ECS ?
Yes just the bushing kit.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 03:23 PM   #61
330iE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
thanks for the videos ! agreed, no obnoxious noises I can discern. maybe try to turn all loads - headlights, a/c, anything really

some of the videos I looked at, much worse (not e9x's):

You also need to take into consideration that some of those above could be way lighter flywheels which would result in that noise. The Valeo kit flywheel is almost the same weight as the stock.

Just get the kit, you will love it.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2017, 11:24 PM   #62
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

took the plunge and got the conversion kit. didn't install just yet as FCP euro royally screwed up the delivery and it's a mess of dinged parts.

I also got the ECS shift kit you recommended, based on the info you published here. and BTW I now learned that the kit has 2 things upgraded not just 1: the teflon bushings (I knew about) and the Turner arm bushing (not sure why I never noticed)

Oh, I also contacted ECS regarding what those nuts are for, waiting to hear back

Last edited by DaanBMW; 12-13-2017 at 11:28 PM.. Reason: added nuts
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 10:00 PM   #63
RuinE90d
Private
Rep
Drives: '06 330i Sport 6MT

Quote:
Quote:

I too bought this ECS kit #2722946. Buyer beware the expensive Teflon bushings don't fit until being modified to a width of .41" (cut .05" off each one). Tried explaining this to ECS customer service, but they assured me they would have known that by now as many kits as they've sold.

I used a Dremel tool with a grout removal bit to cut them to size.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      01-11-2018, 11:07 PM   #64
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuinE90d View Post
I too bought this ECS kit #2722946. Buyer beware the expensive Teflon bushings don't fit until being modified to a width of .41" (cut .05" off each one). Tried explaining this to ECS customer service, but they assured me they would have known that by now as many kits as they've sold.

Good tip, thanks.

But to make sure, you say width - you mean the ID/bore ? or possibly their engagement depth in the pivot arm ?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 08:52 AM   #65
RuinE90d
Private
Rep
Drives: '06 330i Sport 6MT

Quote:
Quote:

Good tip, thanks.

But to make sure, you say width - you mean the ID/bore ? or possibly their engagement depth in the pivot arm ?
DaanBMW, are you able to see the pictures?

Each spacer should be .41" not .46".
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #66
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:
DaanBMW, are you able to see the pictures?

Each spacer should be .41" not .46".
I see the pics today. OK so they're too long. Weird for ECS not to know by now....
Appreciate 0