E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > AutoWest Bmw S.A. tells me there’s no extended warranty the on HPFP? Huh?

09-23-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
m-technik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335, E36 Ti, Porsche 986

AutoWest Bmw S.A. tells me there’s no extended warranty the on HPFP? Huh?

So I was in AutoWest Bmw the other day for ongoing long cranks, sputtering, basic HPFP issues on my 2007 335. I asked the S.A. that was helping me about the warranty extension on the HPFP that has been implemented by BMW Canada due to the high failure rates on the units. He replied to me that there was no such warranty and that whatever I had heard on the internet was untrue.

Does anyone have any documentation or info stating that the warranty has been extended?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
taichi
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 & F25

Garage List
here u go
Attached Images

09-23-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
m-technik
Captain
Rep

Awesome! Thanks!

Im gonna send this over to the S.A.'s email. AutoWest Bmw really needs to do a better job at keeping their S.A.'s up to date on the latest info...Most of the time when i go in there i feel like im talking to a person that knows very little about Bmws.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
There are some SA/CA don't really know as much as they should.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 08:27 PM   #5
dkvby
☠☠☠☠☠
Rep
Drives: 07 Blk e92 335i

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
that letter for BMWNA ... not canada
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 09:35 PM   #6
Blackout335i
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 335i Black

the extended warranty on the HPFP is not for Canada, only the US...

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
m-technik
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout335i View Post
the extended warranty on the HPFP is not for Canada, only the US...
I got the impression from this thread that we were covered as well:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411407

Some mention of it in this thread as well:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=410459&page=2

That really sucks if we are not. My warranty is up in 2 weeks and all Bmw has done is update the HPFP software to stop the long cranks and sputtering, but I can slowly feel the cranks getting longer again, same thing it did when my first HPFP failed. I’d hate to have to shell out the money for a new one maybe a month or 2 after my warranty is up.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 10:57 PM   #8
Blackout335i
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I think you'll find its only in the US, due to some legal ruling down there that protects customers and we get the shaft in Canada..

Been down the software reprogramming process and all the normal wasting of our time that BMW Canada wants to put us through before replacing the HPFP. Make sure you get it replaced before your warranty runs out (over $1,000 to replace)...

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 12:15 AM   #9
m-technik
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I think you'll find its only in the US, due to some legal ruling down there that protects customers and we get the shaft in Canada..

Been down the software reprogramming process and all the normal wasting of our time that BMW Canada wants to put us through before replacing the HPFP. Make sure you get it replaced before your warranty runs out (over $1,000 to replace)...
I’m trying my best to get them to replace it. I called in today to book an appointment (booked for Oct 4. My warranty is up on the 6th!) and the S.A. told me that they probably won’t replace it if there is no "Check engine" light on, but they will do a pressure test on it.....Sounds like another "Band-Aid" fix to me, just like all those software updates. Bottom line is, the product is faulty and inevitably will fail, which I think warrants its replacement right there. Why wait till it breaks down on me in rush hour? That’s nothing but carelessness on Bmws behalf. I plan on raising some hell in there if they give me the run-around again.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 01:44 AM   #10
///M3Lover
Captain
Rep
Drives: 04WhiteM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-technik View Post
I’m trying my best to get them to replace it. I called in today to book an appointment (booked for Oct 4. My warranty is up on the 6th!) and the S.A. told me that they probably won’t replace it if there is no "Check engine" light on, but they will do a pressure test on it.....Sounds like another "Band-Aid" fix to me, just like all those software updates. Bottom line is, the product is faulty and inevitably will fail, which I think warrants its replacement right there. Why wait till it breaks down on me in rush hour? That’s nothing but carelessness on Bmws behalf. I plan on raising some hell in there if they give me the run-around again.
It is really ridiculous how CDN BMW Customers aren't covered for many things.

Buy extended warranty if you have to. I bought two and replaced $12,000 worth of parts on my car. ($6,000 goes into my cats.. those are some damn special cats haha )
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 01:50 AM   #11
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: SLOW

WTF HFPF is not under warranty in Canada for 10 years?!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 01:59 AM   #12
Pedestrian A
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi

Quote:
I got the impression from this thread that we were covered as well:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411407

Some mention of it in this thread as well:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=410459&page=2

That really sucks if we are not. My warranty is up in 2 weeks and all Bmw has done is update the HPFP software to stop the long cranks and sputtering, but I can slowly feel the cranks getting longer again, same thing it did when my first HPFP failed. I’d hate to have to shell out the money for a new one maybe a month or 2 after my warranty is up.
When did the long crank start? It took my car three months until the first check engine light came on and then more and more headaches. The updated software didn't help at all because the long crank returned on the next day I started the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 02:30 AM   #13
m-technik
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian A View Post
When did the long crank start? It took my car three months until the first check engine light came on and then more and more headaches. The updated software didn't help at all because the long crank returned on the next day I started the car.
Originally the long cranks started about 4 months ago. I brought it in and they did a software update. This lasted for about 2 months, then the long cranks started again, so I brought it in and once again they did a software update. Honestly, it only sounds like the fuel pump is primed for a few seconds longer than before (you hear it when you unlock the doors). Now the long cranks started up about 3 weeks ago. I’m also noticing a very rough idle on occasion as well. As I mentioned in my previous post, there’s obviously an underlying problem here since the HPFP is losing pressure when not active, and correct me if I’m wrong, but all BMW seems to do about it is increase the length of the initial prime before the car starts accompanied by an increase in idle rpm for the first few second after ignition. It seems to me that this clearly indicates that the HPFP seals are slowly deteriorating and will inevitably fail.

Last edited by m-technik; 09-24-2010 at 02:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 06:11 AM   #14
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: a dilapidated ride

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
well my SA told me that my pump is under the extended warranty when i had it replaced last. who knows, he may be right or wrong..
      09-24-2010, 09:03 AM   #15
BavFan_08
Dreamer
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 E88 6MT | Ret '08 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally the long cranks started about 4 months ago. I brought it in and they did a software update. This lasted for about 2 months, then the long cranks started again, so I brought it in and once again they did a software update. Honestly, it only sounds like the fuel pump is primed for a few seconds longer than before (you hear it when you unlock the doors). Now the long cranks started up about 3 weeks ago. I’m also noticing a very rough idle on occasion as well. As I mentioned in my previous post, there’s obviously an underlying problem here since the HPFP is losing pressure when not active, and correct me if I’m wrong, but all BMW seems to do about it is increase the length of the initial prime before the car starts accompanied by an increase in idle rpm for the first few second after ignition. It seems to me that this clearly indicates that the HPFP seals are slowly deteriorating and will inevitably fail.
I would document all your issues and send a long letter to BMW Canada - or at least keep them in the loop. You brought this issue up during warranty. This has to be fixed free of charge. Do not take no for an answer.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 12:01 PM   #16
Blackout335i
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavFan_08 View Post
I would document all your issues and send a long letter to BMW Canada - or at least keep them in the loop. You brought this issue up during warranty. This has to be fixed free of charge. Do not take no for an answer.
I believe BavFan is right. If you can document this issue while the car is still under warranty i think you have a fighting chance...You have exactly the same problems that i had, once the HPFP was finally replaced the car has been perfect.....

I would also see if you can buy an extended warranty on the car, made me sleep better at night...

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 01:58 PM   #17
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Issues like this makes me want to get the extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 02:20 PM   #18
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

What extended warranty...3rd party? Bmw doesn't sell one anymore right?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 02:22 PM   #19
m-technik
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavFan_08 View Post
Definitely!

Quote:
I believe BavFan is right. If you can document this issue while the car is still under warranty i think you have a fighting chance...You have exactly the same problems that i had, once the HPFP was finally replaced the car has been perfect.....

I would also see if you can buy an extended warranty on the car, made me sleep better at night...
Hopefully things go well at my next visit or else ill definitely take it up with Bmw Canada. I’d go for the extended warranty but I’ve got a whole bunch of warranty voiding mods just waiting for the warranty to expire so that I can finally install them! It’s just been killing me knowing the N54's full potential and not being able to unlock it due to the ongoing fuel pump problems I’ve been having.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgazer View Post
well my SA told me that my pump is under the extended warranty when i had it replaced last. who knows, he may be right or wrong..
There were a couple of posts in Canadian HPFP threads stating the same thing....What’s up with all the misinformation these guys are giving us? You'd figure it would be clear cut whether or not the warranty has been extended.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 02:22 PM   #20
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
I thought BMW has extended warranty? Is there a 3rd party extended warranty? In the US its common but I am not sure about in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 02:27 PM   #21
m-technik
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
I was referring to the warranty extension specifically on the 'high pressure fuel pump' that BMW has implemented in the U.S. and I thought in Canada as well, but I guess not.
Appreciate 0