E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What is the Exclamation mark inside the triangle icon?

04-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
phistyle
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW e92 335i

What is the Exclamation mark inside the triangle icon?

as the title states, what is the exclamation mark inside of the triangle? it doesn't come on when I turn on the car but it comes on after a bit of driving...I don't feel or see anything wrong so I'm not sure why it keeps popping up...I've read the manual but it doesn't state anything about that particular icon?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Are you driving around with the traction control turned off?
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
phistyle
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

yep it has always been off and the icon never appeared until just a week ago...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
potpal
Rep
Drives: 325i

Check the pressure in your tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

there is a little door just above where the passenger sits... not the door that the passenger uses to get into the car, there is a button on the door, press the button the door will open, there is a high chance you will find a book in there. Book of secrets one might call it. Read the said book, it might tell you what you are seeing
      04-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #6
Top_Gear_Fan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

The exclamation mark inside the triangle icon means the flux capacitor is fluxing.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 06:35 PM   #7
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by noro View Post
there is a little door just above where the passenger sits... not the door that the passenger uses to get into the car, there is a button on the door, press the button the door will open, there is a high chance you will find a book in there. Book of secrets one might call it. Read the said book, it might tell you what you are seeing
I don't know about you but the compartment behind the said door is much too small to contain my secret book. Mine must rest in the trunk.

To the OP, I believe that was the low tire pressure symbol, but my memory isn't perfect...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #8
phistyle
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noro View Post
HAHAHHA u so funny...if you read what i wrote then you would of seen that I said I looked in the manual already...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 06:41 PM   #9
Kylekuu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi, 84 318i

check control messages?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 06:45 PM   #10
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep

Wait, is this the triangle symbol you're talking about? If so, that's a general warning symbol. If you have iDrive you need to go to the vehicle status menu to check what exactly is wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #11
phistyle
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maswastage View Post

Wait, is this the triangle symbol you're talking about? If so, that's a general warning symbol. If you have iDrive you need to go to the vehicle status menu to check what exactly is wrong.
yea maswastage, that's the icon that comes up and I don't have idrive so I'm thinking it might be my tire pressure, but I'm not totally sure...it doesn't come up when I start the car..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #12
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by phistyle View Post
HAHAHHA u so funny...if you read what i wrote then you would of seen that I said I looked in the manual already...
According to the manual (page 67 in mine), it says use "check control" to determine what logged issues are. But in all fairness, I did find that by accident one day. The list of "symbols" at the back of the manual just says "the car may start with/without the brake or clutch engaged". Not sure WTF that is all about. It doesn't mention HOW to find the issue.

As for phistyle's post, you'd be surprised how many silly posts there are on other symbols on this forum. Someone should just scan those pages, and make a sticky. Usually the post starts with "I was driving to work and *** popped up. What does this mean?" From what I learnt, it means BMW could save cash by stop printing and issuing manuals for that undersized glovebox, and supply a direct web access to E90post.com It seems most people don't understand their purpose.

My wife is one of those people. I got a "there is a funny symbol on the dash" I can't remember what she said it looked like, but I did a WTF? It's symbol that looks like a tire and it's RED. Red usually means bad. Red+tire means flat....
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 06:59 PM   #13
phistyle
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
According to the manual (page 67 in mine), it says use "check control" to determine what logged issues are. But in all fairness, I did find that by accident one day. The list of "symbols" at the back of the manual just says "the car may start with/without the brake or clutch engaged". Not sure WTF that is all about. It doesn't mention HOW to find the issue.

As for phistyle's post, you'd be surprised how many silly posts there are on other symbols on this forum. Someone should just scan those pages, and make a sticky. Usually the post starts with "I was driving to work and *** popped up. What does this mean?" From what I learnt, it means BMW could save cash by stop printing and issuing manuals for that undersized glovebox, and supply a direct web access to E90post.com It seems most people don't understand their purpose.

My wife is one of those people. I got a "there is a funny symbol on the dash" I can't remember what she said it looked like, but I did a WTF? It's symbol that looks like a tire and it's RED. Red usually means bad. Red+tire means flat....
yea exactly and wtf does that mean? okay check controls...and how would I go about doing that? everything seems to be in order so that icon is just confusing...all the other icons are easy to understand...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 07:04 PM   #14
campbelly
AC Schnitzel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Quote:
as the title states, what is the exclamation mark inside of the triangle? it doesn't come on when I turn on the car but it comes on after a bit of driving...I don't feel or see anything wrong so I'm not sure why it keeps popping up...I've read the manual but it doesn't state anything about that particular icon?
could mean anything from your windshield washer fluid is low to a bulb is out on the car..im pretty sure its just a warning light, u have to start up the power in the car (ACC) but not actually turning the engine..then use the button on the end of the blinker wand to access the "check control" this should tell you whats up
      04-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #15
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep

Quote:
yea maswastage, that's the icon that comes up and I don't have idrive so I'm thinking it might be my tire pressure, but I'm not totally sure...it doesn't come up when I start the car..
Ah I'm not sure how to check it without iDrive, but as another poster mentioned I think you can click the button on the end of the turn signal stalk to cycle through to the check control menu on your dash.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 08:21 PM   #16
Kylekuu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi, 84 318i

keep pressing bc button until it goes to control messages
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 12:21 AM   #17
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

That symbol means "Triangle, by golly!"

Ok, sorry, I couldn't resist.

that is just the car's "alert signal." You'll get that triangle with a ! inside for all sorts of notifications - gas running low, tire pressure monitor needs to be reset, tires too low, etc.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 07:10 AM   #18
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

Ahhh... remember back in the day when car's dash lights actually were informative and indicated a real problem????
      04-08-2010, 07:49 AM   #19
ciomas
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Gear_Fan View Post
The exclamation mark inside the triangle icon means the flux capacitor is fluxing.
ghahaha, good one ;]
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 07:54 AM   #20
Alan@PYSpeed.com[retired]
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

move the switch on the blinker stock until it says CHECK CONTROL and then press BC

Web: www.PYSpeed.com (Facebook | Twitter) Aim: Mai6474
Wheels | Performance | Suspension | Exterior | Lighting | Carbon Fiber Wrap

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 08:56 AM   #21
ApexKing
rainmaker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan@PYSpeed.com View Post
move the switch on the blinker stock until it says CHECK CONTROL and then press BC
I say this genuinely so as not to be too much of an arrogant (donkey*), mainly because it is places like this I have done most of my research, but in case you don't understand what the above means:

on the turn signal shaft (left side of steering column) there is a scroll tab similar to a light switch you'd see in your house. Click this up and you will see many status checks and system diagnostics you can review (oil level, tire pressure, etc.). Once you see one you would like to review, press the tab on the end of that shaft to run the test and hopefully you will Id the solution.

And feel free to have a laugh at the repetitive usage of "shaft".
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 08:58 AM   #22
Alan@PYSpeed.com[retired]
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Hah He Said Shaft!!!!

=)

Web: www.PYSpeed.com (Facebook | Twitter) Aim: Mai6474
Wheels | Performance | Suspension | Exterior | Lighting | Carbon Fiber Wrap

Appreciate 0