E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > People checking out your car?

09-29-2005, 01:46 AM   #1
RyBMW
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Garage List
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
People checking out your car?

Today I saw a guy that was walking his dog check out my E90. He walked to the passenger side and got closer to check out the interior. He than walked to the front and than to the back.

Ever happen to you? How do you feel about it?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2005, 01:56 AM   #2
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
yea it happen to me all the time. my favorite moment was when a couple was on a bmw motorcycle and slow down to see what car i was driving. the speed faster to the front and then slow down to the rear. afte looking they gave me the thumbs up, actually the lady did. that was cool. most of the time i get compliment from older middle age people. i am surprise. i guess the youngster are too immature to admit it is a nice car or they are just haters.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2005, 02:03 AM   #3
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
...the first night i had the car i parked at my buddies house and when i went out there was mid-20s guy lookin at the car. i unlocked it and all the lights went on and he was trippin out...lol...he liked the LEDs on the handle...it was pretty funny..
      09-29-2005, 02:05 AM   #4
Barry626
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coming: 2012 135i

Funny u mention this.
I have my car 3 months today & only once someone said nice car!
When I had my 2005 Chrysler 300C, just about everyday for over
a year I got compliments how terrific my car was. Even had people
chase after me to ask questions about the car.
Oh well, I could care less after 20 + cars I've had the BMW is best!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2005, 05:35 AM   #5
danatk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry626
Funny u mention this.
I have my car 3 months today & only once someone said nice car!
When I had my 2005 Chrysler 300C, just about everyday for over
a year I got compliments how terrific my car was. Even had people
chase after me to ask questions about the car.
Oh well, I could care less after 20 + cars I've had the BMW is best!
I've never understood, and perhaps someone could explain to me, why americans say 'i could care less' when the expression surely is 'i couldn't care less'

'i could care less' doesn't make any sense....

sorry for the
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2005, 06:59 AM   #6
davinet78
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 320d

Garage List
yes it has definately happened to me and i have mixed feelings about it cos i feel unsecure when i somtimes park the car as envy people could do some damage to the car.
      09-29-2005, 07:01 AM   #7
jennyt71
Red Raider '99 & '02
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 06 325i

I've had several compliments & people checking out the car. Especially this past weekend when we fled Houston & stayed in Lubbock. "Pretty black car" even though it is blue...but thats ok. Even had 1 Dairy Queen employee say, "Nice car, what kind is it?" LOL...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2005, 07:01 AM   #8
Red
Chris Bangle For Prez
Rep
Drives: Ford (yea, I know)

...since I don't have an E90 yet, I'm one of the people that "check out" your cars.
      09-29-2005, 07:05 AM   #9
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by danatk
I've never understood, and perhaps someone could explain to me, why americans say 'i could care less' when the expression surely is 'i couldn't care less'

sorry for the

Ah, my friend... you have stumbled onto the single most disgusting fact about Americans. Long ago the King's English was forsaken in favor of lazy tongued slang, words and phrases used incorrectly or out of context, etc. Our schools are too busy worrying that everyone must pass, and continue to lower the standards to meet the least common denominator. Parents are too busy worrying that their children might not like them to do any actual parenting.

Bad grammar exists the world over, and I know it is no different in the UK (though your slang and liberties with grammar are far more amusing to me). What really gets me is, as you've pointed out, using phrases incorrectly and even words that don't exist (like irregardless). I'm always disappointed that people take no pride in learning the lanuage they speak. "Could care less" of course, means that one does care, perhaps significantly.. and therefore is is possible for them to care less. The proper phrase, as you have pointed out is "couldn't care less" which implies the complete absence of concern.

Well, my Anglo friend, if you're going to deal with us Americans you will have to get used to STUPIDITY and LAZINESS. And we seem to be proud of it (this will be displayed shortly by the grunts and barks in reply to this post...).

Yeah, this was . So what.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2005, 07:26 AM   #10
thebigman
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E90 320d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
Ah, my friend... you have stumbled onto the single most disgusting fact about Americans. Long ago the King's English was forsaken in favor of lazy tongued slang, words and phrases used incorrectly or out of context, etc. Our schools are too busy worrying that everyone must pass, and continue to lower the standards to meet the least common denominator. Parents are too busy worrying that their children might not like them to do any actual parenting.

Bad grammar exists the world over, and I know it is no different in the UK (though your slang and liberties with grammar are far more amusing to me). What really gets me is, as you've pointed out, using phrases incorrectly and even words that don't exist (like irregardless). I'm always disappointed that people take no pride in learning the lanuage they speak. "Could care less" of course, means that one does care, perhaps significantly.. and therefore is is possible for them to care less. The proper phrase, as you have pointed out is "couldn't care less" which implies the complete absence of concern.

Well, my Anglo friend, if you're going to deal with us Americans you will have to get used to STUPIDITY and LAZINESS. And we seem to be proud of it (this will be displayed shortly by the grunts and barks in reply to this post...).

Yeah, this was . So what.

Colour.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2005, 07:30 AM   #11
325iA
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

Just the other night i parked my e90 next to a brand new Mercedes C Class in the parkingplace of a restaurant. When the MB owner and his wife got to their car she was chekking out mine, had an argument with her husband and he was looking kind of sad. I didn't know what to feel: sorry for the MB driver or proud of my beautiful sapphire black BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2005, 07:41 AM   #12
Tater
Hauptgefreiter
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Quote:

sorry for the
Yes, grammar in the U.S. is pretty sad, and getting worse all the time. I recently discovered that "irregardless" has found its way into the dictionary as an actual word.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2005, 07:44 AM   #13
Cory1000
God
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I love when I come out of a store and see someone face right up to the glass trying to see through the tint to see the inside...I always hold the unlock button down so the windows go down...they always jump back really fast..lol
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2005, 08:24 AM   #14
fredtoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325 328 350

Garage List
1986 328  [0.00]
2006 325  [0.00]
My 328 always seems to attract attention, but the 325 seems to be invisible.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2005, 09:42 AM   #15
BMW786
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SGraphite90

I posted this in other thread but one time I went to a gas station and I was the only person there. The gas attendant saw me pull up, and I when I went inside to pay him, he immediately started asking me questions about the car and started complimenting it. After I left, he came outside of the little minimart (!) and started to peek inside the windows and walked around the whole car while I put gas in. I thought it was flattering, but a little strange that he left his workstation.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2005, 10:06 AM   #16
tl_boy
Major
Rep
Drives: tl

i hardly drive the car. but i was at discount tire the other day and this chick was pointing and looking at my car. yesterday, i was driving in the neighborhood and this chick in a jetta was following me. pretty blonde, too. i'm married tho! I think women DIG bmw's. I had only heard it, but now i think its true.

damn, wish i bought a bemer when i was in college!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2005, 10:10 AM   #17
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Quote:

sorry for the
This drives me crazy too. My wife says it also sometimes. (I always remind her politely). It's funny because it implies the exact opposite of what the intended sentiment was...

It makes sense, it just implies the opposite of what they meant.

It's probably just a case of English (American) versus English (English) as my friend from Liverpool always tells me...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2005, 10:15 AM   #18
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater
Yes, grammar in the U.S. is pretty sad, and getting worse all the time. I recently discovered that "irregardless" has found its way into the dictionary as an actual word.
Oh I hate that one too! But my least favorite one is the plural of "incident". The plural is "incidents", but somehow, people always want to make it more difficult. I hear "incidences" all the time.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2005, 10:35 AM   #19
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater
Reminded me of this.....sorry more

Quote:
A Message from Tony Blair to the citizens of the United States of America

In light of your failure to elect a competent President of the USA and thus to govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective immediately. Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume monarchical duties over all states, commonwealths, and territories (excepting Kansas, which she does not fancy).

Your new prime minister, Tony Blair, will appoint a governor for America without the need for further elections. Congress and the Senate will be disbanded.

A questionnaire may be circulated next year to determine whether any of you noticed. To aid in the transition to a British Crown Dependency, the following rules are introduced with immediate effect:

You should look up "revocation" in the Oxford English Dictionary. Then look up aluminium, and check the pronunciation guide. You will be amazed at just how wrongly you have been pronouncing it. The letter 'U' will be reinstated in words such as 'favour' and 'neighbour.'

Likewise, you will learn to spell 'doughnut' without skipping half the letters, and the suffix ize will be replaced by the suffix ise.

Generally, you will be expected to raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels. (look up vocabulary).

Using the same twenty-seven words interspersed with filler noises such as "like" and "you know" is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication. There is no such thing as US English. We will let Microsoft know on your behalf. The Microsoft spell-checker will be adjusted to take account of the reinstated letter 'u' and the elimination of -ize. You will relearn your original national anthem, God Save The Queen.

July 4th will no longer be celebrated as a holiday.

You will learn to resolve personal issues without using guns, lawyers, or therapists. The fact that you need so many lawyers and therapists shows that you're not adult enough to be independent. Guns should only be handled by adults. If you're not adult enough to sort things out without suing someone or speaking to a therapist then you're not grown up enough to handle a gun. Therefore, you will no longer be allowed to own or carry anything more dangerous than a vegetable peeler. A permit will be required if you wish to carry a vegetable peeler in public.

All American cars are hereby banned. They are crap and this is for your own good. When we show you German cars, you will understand what we mean. All intersections will be replaced with roundabouts, and you will start driving on the left with immediate effect. At the same time, you will go metric with immediate effect and without the benefit of conversion tables. Both roundabouts and metrication will help you understand the British sense of humour.

The Former USA will adopt UK prices on petrol (which you have been calling gasoline)-roughly $6/US gallon. Get used to it.

You will learn to make real chips. Those things you call French fries are not real chips, and those things you insist on calling potato chips are properly called crisps. Real chips are thick cut, fried in animal fat, and dressed not with catsup but with vinegar.

The cold tasteless stuff you insist on calling beer is n ot actually beer at all. Henceforth, only proper British Bitter will be referred to as beer, and European brews of known and accepted provenance will be referred to as Lager. American brands will be referred to as Near-Frozen Gnat's Urine, so that all can be sold without risk of further confusion.

Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as good guys. Hollywood will also be required to cast English actors to play English characters. Watching Andie MacDowell attempt English dialogue in Four Weddings and a Funeral was an experience akin to having one's ears removed with a cheese grater.

You will cease playing American football. There is only one kind of proper football; you call it soccer. Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby (which has some similarities to American football, but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full kevlar body armour like a bunch of nancies).

Further, you will stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to host an event called the World Series for a game which is not played outside of America. Since only 2.1% of you are aware that there is a world beyond your borders, your error is understandable.

You must tell us who killed JFK. It's been driving us mad.

An internal revenue agent (i.e. tax collector) from Her Majesty's Government will be with you shortly to ensure the acquisition of all monies due (backdated to 1776).

Thank you for your co-operation.

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2005, 10:39 AM   #20
etherbored
klactoveesedstene
Rep
Drives: das gut

i'm still wondering why we begin sentences with 'and' or 'but'...
colour indeed,
-e-
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2005, 10:42 AM   #21
jkwakopo
2006 325i SV
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Silver

all da time!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2005, 10:46 AM   #22
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoo
My 328 always seems to attract attention, but the 325 seems to be invisible.
maybe because you have a clear film that makes it invisible? where are the pictures???
Appreciate 0