E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Had a play in this today......

07-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Had a play in this today......

Name:  jag passenger side view.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  120.5 KB

Well quite a surprise overall or perhaps just my ignorance about the 'old man' image.

That 5.0 litre V8 sounds just sublime and the exhaust note is spot on imo, it growls at you when under load. The torque the car produces is very nice thank you and certainly makes the car feel more powerful than the 380 bhp would suggest. The engine is very keen to rev and the six speed auto box is good but dictates the gears as they all do too much but the options with the paddles (very well placed and easy to use) do allow for some control. Depress the 'flag' button near the auto selector dial and you change up and down with the paddles, the car won't change up even at the rev limiter, driver must do it and it alters suspension and response etc.

As yet no dual clutch gearbox for any Jaguar which they need to bring out imo and keep up with the Germans.

That interior is well, pretty much sumptuous and VERY well put together and oozes quality. Despite various textures and even colours going on in there, it works well. Personally I wouldn't have the brown wood effect but piano black but that aside, VERY nice even down to the very tactile suede on the A pillars and the alcantara colour coded roof lining.

This car would be superb for wafting around the continent, absolutely no doubts, it's so effortless. But and here's the but imho. The orange nanny light came on when I did not expect it too. Despite those rather wide rear tyres we were losing grip a tad or about to slide, nor did I feel that confidence you get with some cars as to hoon it instantly through the twisties giving it loads. It handles well and in sport mode with the suspension stiffened a tad and holding the gears for longer, it went through the bends on my test track road well, but was still 10 mph slower than the S5 which is far more chuckable in those situations.

The Jag steering was good at lower speeds and more communicative than the S5 below 40 mph and heavier as it should be. At higher speeds and through the twisties the Jag steering lost a bit of feedback and felt slightly numb and harder work to get the car through the bends than the S5 whose steering at higher cornering speeds is more communicative and more responsive.

Overall though was a lovely car have to say and it's a big eye catcher, couldn't believe how many people 'stared' at it, maybe they heard it lol. And as per when I had the Porsches, people actually moved over instantly to let me pass.

Enjoy the pics. I'm maybe having a play in a XKR next week and that is up on power quite a bit to the XK so could be fun!

Btw: Ignore the chubby bloke in pic two. He was playing with his model aeroplane and came over for a chat.

Name:  jag front end.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  141.6 KB

Name:  jag rear end.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  130.4 KB

Name:  Jag interior.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  94.2 KB

Name:  jag sat nav.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  103.5 KB

Name:  jag steering wheel.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  89.9 KB

Name:  jag door card.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  119.2 KB

Name:  jag rear seats.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  77.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Looks very menacing in black. I'd have said it was an XKR if it wasn't for the lack of exhausts (the R has 4 hasn't it?).
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 05:14 PM   #3
Cafe.Racer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring

Really nice. Well done BB. That rear shot looks like the kind of think we sketched when we were kids, if you get me...

Rear seats look like you'd be folded in half!
      07-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Hey Helen, good write up and pics

So the xk has the same auto override as the xf (good on jag to let the car bounce of the limiter ). Plus the same fab gear selector and touch satnav ...agree it would look beteter with piano black. Those front seats don't look very bolstered though.

Suspect the R will hit the spot!
      07-10-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
good write up Helen!...always enjoy ur reviews!....look forward to hear about the XKR....always see one near where I live...

Off topic: I was in the TTS yesterday, and saw a c63 amg in my rear view...pressed the throttle to give the amg some of my exhaust fumes ;-), few metres after saw a police car, so slowed down....the amg overtook and i heard the wonderful powerful V8!!!.....fcukin impressive sound those V8s......
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 02:39 AM   #6
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
This is the dual-view screen isn't it Helen - where the driver gets to see the car screen and the passenger sees the TV etc etc from the nearside?? Very clever.
      07-11-2010, 05:03 AM   #7
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

As usual Helen, a great write up!

I too am mightily impressed with the Jag's and as you'll no doubt remember, I came soooo close to buying an XFR - in fact, I agreed to buy one but then pulled out after I had time to think about it (and finally got a deal on my C63). Was one of the best all round cars I've ever driven but I just couldn't get the image out of my head (and the fact my boss also drives an XF so I didn't want the car as him!)

I like the XK even better but I though the front seats were just too plain and lacking in side support. What did you think of them?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 05:21 AM   #8
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Must admit that the new Jag's are really hitting the spot, the succesor to the E type (F Type) has just been given the go ahead for production.....and 'R' version of this should be some car.

So this is what you get up to in your spare time Helen! Driving sports cars around the countryside and meeting strange men in laybys ........i can just hear him now ....." Helloooow young lady, so, you drive a Jaaaaaag?"!
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 05:38 AM   #9
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Yep, four exhausts for the XKR and those rear seats hmmm didn't place the old botty on them but suffice to say I think they're 'token' rear seats, but nicely done lol.

Tim, I was surprised to see a scrolling button dial as the gear selector but hey why not. Like the way it rises up after you've started the engine.........christ, I'm getting as bad as you lot for gadgets.

Dave - I'll bow to your superior knowledge re. the dual screen. I didn't play with it too much tbh but did wonder why it wasn't placed more facing the driver, perhaps the dual screen purpose is the answer? When the fuel light eventually came on the screen also said 'warning - low fuel level' and alerted you to the fact if you touch the screen for the map it will display all the nearest petrol stations - thought that was rather cool.

Andrew, I do remember you saying about the Jag and can see why tbh having driven one. As you and Tim have said about the seats, it was the first thing I noticed when getting into the car. I thought hmm the side bolsters are lacking but tbh I can't say I noticed any particular lack of support but more regarding a lack of bolsters on the seat swab ie. for the thighs, especially when cornering hard. I liked the fact the seats have the cooling thing as well - was very welcome in the heat of yesterday!! Still made me want to pee though, so can't win heated or cooling seats.

I really would like a drive in the XKR as it has a LSD as standard as you'll know and the XK's handling would benefit from one. Plus the XKR has some meaty performance figures, especially mid range.

It's very interesting driving different cars because of how it makes you feel about your own car as I'm sure everyone can relate to what I'm saying. I purposefully drove along specific roads well known to moi and one consists of a left manoeuvre roundabout then flick right to immediately turn left along a progressive bend before a straight run. The Jag performed this task well enough but because the rear wheels were pushing me the steering was trying to go straight on so more physical effort with the steering wheel and the back end 'protested' slightly (LSD would eliminate this?). I executed this at the same speed as I would in the S5 and came home along that road to confirm my thoughts. The slightly 'sanitised' S5 turned in more (40% front end bias) and no protesting from the rear end, just gripped, sitting squat and through. The grip and split power to the wheels is noticeable. Nothing major, just interesting.

But full marks to Jaguar for obviously taking the time and effort with R&D to hone the exhaust note to what it is. Mine sounds nice but that XK was just orgasmic.

My interior looked pretty dull as well after being in the sumptuous Jag.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 06:29 AM   #10
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss134 View Post
Must admit that the new Jag's are really hitting the spot, the succesor to the E type (F Type) has just been given the go ahead for production.....and 'R' version of this should be some car.

So this is what you get up to in your spare time Helen! Driving sports cars around the countryside and meeting strange men in laybys ........i can just hear him now ....." Helloooow young lady, so, you drive a Jaaaaaag?"!
That sounds a bit tasty does it not!

I'll have you know Stephen that Brantingham is a very civilised and desireable village in East Yorks and I was parked on some grass near the church and Mr Tubby came out of one of the quaint cottages near the church to fly his aeroplane. People automatically speak around here as long as you're local...........just outsiders we don't take kindly too.........joke!!!!

Wonder if any 'dogging goes' on up Brantingham Dale
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 06:34 AM   #11
charliesum
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

http://www.quicksilverexhausts.com/p...9%20on/302.htm

http://www.millteksport.com/media.file.cfm?fileid=609

try these helen xxxx
      07-11-2010, 06:46 AM   #12
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
That sounds a bit tasty does it not!

I'll have you know Stephen that Brantingham is a very civilised and desireable village in East Yorks and I was parked on some grass near the church and Mr Tubby came out of one of the quaint cottages near the church to fly his aeroplane. People automatically speak around here as long as you're local...........just outsiders we don't take kindly too.........joke!!!!

Wonder if any 'dogging goes' on up Brantingham Dale
You couldn't you have made him sound more innocent if you'd tried Helen

Drive down there tonight, park up with main beam on and turn your hazard lights on for 3 flashes once every 98 seconds and find out

I can tell when youre not amused with a post because you call me 'Stephen' and not 'Steve'
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 07:24 AM   #13
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Think we've discussed these before if memory serves and yes you're right about the noise those exhausts make. Not sure how long I'll have the S5 for tbh. But seriously, the noise that Jag makes is something else!

Quote:
You couldn't you have made him sound more innocent if you'd tried Helen

Drive down there tonight, park up with main beam on and turn your hazard lights on for 3 flashes once every 98 seconds and find out

I can tell when youre not amused with a post because you call me 'Stephen' and not 'Steve'
He just wasn't hot totty Steve lol

Hell fire man, is that the 'code' then and the voice of experience. It's too hot at the mo and one has to choose carefully with whom one 'gives' some serious effort to and gets really hot and sweaty.

Imagine me saying it tongue in cheek and a bit of the bossy older woman but in a playing way...........Steve.

I'm going to ring that young man at the Jag centre tomorrow and get hold of that XKR, my appetite has been wetted. It's currently out on a 92 hour test drive loan would you believe....corporate jobby!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 07:44 AM   #14
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Think we've discussed these before if memory serves and yes you're right about the noise those exhausts make. Not sure how long I'll have the S5 for tbh. But seriously, the noise that Jag makes is something else!

He just wasn't hot totty Steve lol

Hell fire man, is that the 'code' then and the voice of experience. It's too hot at the mo and one has to choose carefully with whom one 'gives' some serious effort to and gets really hot and sweaty.

Imagine me saying it tongue in cheek and a bit of the bossy older woman but in a playing way...........Steve.

I'm going to ring that young man at the Jag centre tomorrow and get hold of that XKR, my appetite has been wetted. It's currently out on a 92 hour test drive loan would you believe....corporate jobby!
I believe there are different 'codes' that mean different things, i made that one up^^^^^..........god knows what would happen if you tried it!

I have read great things about the XKR, will be interesting to read your review. Sounds like youre still on the hunt for a new car, why not come back to the bimmer family and get an M6

Last edited by ss134; 07-11-2010 at 09:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 08:45 AM   #15
charliesum
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

they had a great looking xkr at goodwood fos all white with black wheels
my local dealership has a white xfr with same treatment and looks spectacular.
i have only recently changed to an x5 and love putting all the kayaking stuff in it but am soooo tempted now and have seen paramount offer a 600bhp tune for 4 k!
the b&w stereo is really something else but in the xj (REAL OLD MANS STYLING) it is 3 x more powerful
funny really, listening to thought of the day or shipping forecast with that bass!!
still havent seen a nicer rear this side of the granturismo s x
Attached Images

07-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #16
ddogg35
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 318i

Garage List
those jags are soo well engineered
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 10:44 AM   #17
jwbmw
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XF S

Garage List
Was it the standard or Portfolio spec Helen? If Portfolio how did you enjoy the B&W stereo?

The Portfolio and XKR get 16 way adjustable seats rather than 10 way in the normal car and therefore they might be more comfortable if in standard spec.

The XF S and XFR have 18 way seats including adjustable side bolsters which I found to be very supportive. It would be interesting to here your views if you can sit in one next weekend when borrowing the XKR. You should try the XFR too.

A good day out then. Let us know which Jag forum you join.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 11:29 AM   #18
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
why not come back to the bimmer family and get an M6
Probably for the similar reasons you haven't bought the M6. My acceptable limits on swelling the Governments coffers with heavily taxed fuel prices have their limit and I like going around corners. Also the depreciation on the M6 and indeed these sporty Jags is high. I'm not brand loyal, more model specific and some manufacturers produce mainstream cars then throw in the odd curve ball. The fun is in trying them all out. Who knows what the future holds and I always keep abreast of the same marques put it that way.

There is currently only one car I've previously owned that I would own again in a shot............won't bore everyone with which one, gets a bit wearing imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliesum View Post
they had a great looking xkr at goodwood fos all white with black wheels
my local dealership has a white xfr with same treatment and looks spectacular.
i have only recently changed to an x5 and love putting all the kayaking stuff in it but am soooo tempted now and have seen paramount offer a 600bhp tune for 4 k!
the b&w stereo is really something else but in the xj (REAL OLD MANS STYLING) it is 3 x more powerful
funny really, listening to thought of the day or shipping forecast with that bass!!
still havent seen a nicer rear this side of the granturismo s x
Shipping forecast lol........why may I ask?

I agree the rear end is very nice although I had a nosey in the boot and noticed when shutting it you push down on the lip spoiler comprising the eye level light so something to be careful with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbmw View Post
Was it the standard or Portfolio spec Helen? If Portfolio how did you enjoy the B&W stereo?

The Portfolio and XKR get 16 way adjustable seats rather than 10 way in the normal car and therefore they might be more comfortable if in standard spec.

The XF S and XFR have 18 way seats including adjustable side bolsters which I found to be very supportive. It would be interesting to here your views if you can sit in one next weekend when borrowing the XKR. You should try the XFR too.

A good day out then. Let us know which Jag forum you join.
Portfolio spec. Jason and only briefly put the radio on as no CD's in the car so didn't get a chance to listen to it tbh.

I played around with the seat settings and yes, many adjustments and easily found a good driving position. I could have kept the car until today but am more interested in the XKR for a play. I found the seats very comfortable over all and well made and good quality leather and stitching. Liked the electrically adjustable steering wheel too!

Lol Jason, I'm not buying one I'm just playing as usual. Steve just happened to talk to one of the guys who is linked to the Jag dealer whilst at the Golf Club and he said give so and so a ring and have a play in the XK and XKR when it comes back in.........be rude not to oblige eh.

When you get yours then?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #19
jwbmw
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XF S

Garage List
Quote:
When you get yours then?
Lease swapped in October, just hope that the lease company place the official order in time as the system still showing authorised but not placed with a dealer yet
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #20
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Helen, I am a big fan of the Jag XK series and have liked them from the first series in the 90s. The car is stunning and this or 997 would be my first choice for a sports tourer. From the pics it looks like it has a decent boot which is a big + vs the 997.

I have never been in a Jag so its good to read your mini review. Jaguar along with Land Rover are really getting their range together it's just a shame it takes the Tata Group to get the best out of these well loved british brands.
      07-11-2010, 12:54 PM   #21
ibanezking
Weekend Rockstar
England
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Aren't they just a modified Mondeo and made by Ford????? LOL
      07-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #22
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Helen, I am a big fan of the Jag XK series and have liked them from the first series in the 90s. The car is stunning and this or 997 would be my first choice for a sports tourer. From the pics it looks like it has a decent boot which is a big + vs the 997.

I have never been in a Jag so its good to read your mini review. Jaguar along with Land Rover are really getting their range together it's just a shame it takes the Tata Group to get the best out of these well loved british brands.
Hi Peter - Hope you and yours are well?

The boot is a decent size, maybe not quite as wide as the 'hips' of the car suggest but way, way bigger than a 997 obviously.

Indeed they are doing very well. Apparently Land Rover sales alone are up 36%. The Yanks are buying the Range Rover and China are going mad for them! Here in the UK the factory are taking on 200 extra employees as demand for the Freelander II has well exceeded expectations.

Totally agree it's a crying shame that it has taken the investment by Tata to bring this about as opposed to our Government way back and when BMW could have invested in Land Rover instead of just copying and creating the X5 - no friends in business eh!

You need to have a drive in one and a good look around because the finish of the whole car is very good. The paintwork in particular............orange peel what's that then!!
Appreciate 0